My little fishing trip At New West Frankfort Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kojak, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I figured I would make my first post a small story about a good day on the local lake. I went out about 5 a.m. with three other boats. went to my first favorite spot and caught two nice little channel cats, only about a pound or so. The other two boats I was with decided to go for the deep water with it being so warm so I decided to go to a very shallow neck of the lake, baited up the two poles and figured I would be waiting a while...Wrong. Both poles took off for the water before I could get a doughnut out of the box. The two of us in my boat caught our limit of 6 ea in about 30 minutes to an hour all in the 5-10 pound range, over all a nice morning. Just my first post to say hi. Oh, by the way we were using shrimp for bait and fishing in about two feet of water, which kinda surprised me. I thought this time of year cats were trying to stay cool. I got alot of learning to do. Im glad I found this site, I look foreward to getting to know all the locals that I can. One other note, the other boats came back empty handed...Good Times.....

Jerred

2. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the Boc , this is the best site on the web , all the great brothers and sisters members on here have a wealth of knowledge about Ole Mr.whisker's

3. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Jerred welcome to the BOC your gonna like it here. Keep a look out for the next gathering. You just missed a great time at rend lake last friday.:roll_eyes:

4. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcome aboard! nice to hear about a productive day on the water. :0a23:

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good to have you here Jerred. Its certain You are going to enjoy being part of this group. Regarding your catching fish in the shallow water, Monday at Rend my brother and I caught 33. The biggest ones were caught in 4' of water, I've seen the same happen up at Carlyle. Interesting to say the least.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    less current in deep water equals less oxygen, so they have to hang in the shallows when its hot out. just my 2 cents.

7. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    welcome to the BOC
    thanks for the report

8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man a gathering sounds great. I would love to fish with people who know the lakes here. I live in West Frankfort so just about any lake is within reason. Ive been to Carlyle lake once just to check it out. I would love to goto Baldwin Lake sometime, ive heard there are huge blues there, most fish I catch are less than 10 lb so they might all be huge to me. My cousin jugs Rend Lake all summer long, but...he is very secretive about where he goes and won't even let me tag along. He catches some very large flatheads every year. Thanks for the warm welcome. Its nice to actually find a forum with an active community that live within shouting distance from me.

Jerred

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the HOOD!!! From Alabama!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!!