my little channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i saw in the flathead section that one of the brothers was talking about his smallest flathead, and i thought i would share my smallest channel cat with you all. i was catching bait a while back and i landed this bad boy... i keep him in an aquarium in my bedroom now, in the picture he is laying behind a 1oz shot glass if that shows how small he is. he actually has grown quite a bit from when i caught him a few months ago now.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's about the size of the Flat that I talked about in the other thread!:big_smile: I still have you though...I caught mine with a hook.:wink:

They are extremely cute though.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I ate at a popular catfish house in georgia. that is the size cats they serve. I ate for over an hour and left hungry and exhausted from picking out bones. They had skined them little fellers too.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i can turn all the lights in the room out at night except the one in his tank, then i will drop the food in and he wont budge, as soon as i turn the light off he springs into attack mood and demolishes the food. kinda cool to see how they act. i am interested to see if as the season changes if he will follow the trend that the other cats do and become active when the light is on during the winter months.

5. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I kinda doubt he will unless you let the tank get cold but that might kill him

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    sry to say bud but from that pic. of ur fish it looks to me like ya got a small bullhead catfish not a channel cat?:crazy: can ya show us a better pic? i had 2 small bullhead catfish couple yrs ago i got in a couple dzn bass minnows i got from a local bait store kept them in fish tank with kids fish man did they grow fast when they got bought 4 in i had to take them out they ate the kids glodfish:crazy:(small one's) they had and they were not happy:wink: gave them to a buddie of mine still has them and they eat feeder goldfish and nightcrawlers now kool to sit and watch them stalk a bait then pounce.....sniper

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the quality of the pics isnt the best, i cant find my camera so they are from my phone. you can see the classic dorsal fin and the anal fin that are characteristic of a channel cat, i could be wrong, a buddy of my caught some like this before and said that as it gets bigger it will loose the darkness of its color and gain the spots they are known for. once again i could be wrong, but thats how i identified it. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    here is a pic from wikapedia of a channel cat...

Attached Files:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Does it have the deep forked tail? From the pic it looks like a bullhead but I can't see it real good.:confused2:
    I have 3 channels in my tank since they were that size and they've always been grey/black colored.
    Cool fish anyway!:cool2:

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know it lays on the bottom most of the time, it is forked but not as deep as i would think. it my not be ether species to be honest, i remember in high school we saned a creek by the school and a teacher was telling us about all the species of cat that are out there that never get much bigger than the one i have. so that could be why its hard to categorize...

i could be wrong on this one guys i dont know...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  11. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thats a bullhead 100% dead giveaway is the tail

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    after reading your alls posts and my own i decided to do a little research and found an exact match. it is def 100% a yellow bullhead catfish minnow. here is the link to compare www.thejump.net/id/yellow-bullhead.htm guess i need to change the title and switch sections with this thread...

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I had 6 little ones my boy caught in a cup they were all about 3/4 of an inch and black . Turned out they was flatheads I released them into the local park at about 8 inches . I have four 55 gallon fish tanks now with not one fish...lol

14. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I want one!!! is that bait now?

15. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    he isn't bait yet, but if he grows another 5 or 6 inches he may be...haha

16. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    pretty darn cool. i had a 6 in bullhead in a tank when i was about 10. i feed him to many nightcrawlers and he went belly-up one day.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its great to have a catfish in your bedroom. :smile2:

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    My parents put a small catfish in a tank when I was around 6 and it ate all the other fish except the one that was hanging out of his mouth when he died.