my limb line weights

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by BigOBear, Jul 24, 2008.

1. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I'll have to get some pics from home to show.

My homemade weights are for my limb lines. I made them similar to how I remember seeing my Dad make them when I was a little fellow. I bought 3 3/4" X 3" (I think that's how big they were... it's been a while) nipples. One for me and one for each of my boys to show them how. I cut the nipple in half long ways with a hack saw. The boys opted to use a dremel on theirs. Theirs came out a little more off looking because the dremel took away more metal than the hacksaw did. Next I had a long skinny screw driver that I snagged at a yard sale for $0.05 :p I cut the tip off and used it to make the hole. We used an old percolator camp coffee pot to melt the lead in. Cut the screen out of the spout and melted on a fish fryer. We just used vice grips (and a big ol heavy leather glove) to hold the mold together. We set the mold into a coffee can of sand and put the long screw driver right down the middle and poured a weight. They came out right at 7-8 ounces. Just about enough time to put the camp coffee pot back on the flame and it was time to twist and pull the screw driver and it would come right out. Next I'd open the vice grips and drop the mold and weight in a bucket of water and then bump them around on the concrete to knock the mold off and voila... limb line weight. My limb lines are made with braided nylon. I slip the weight on and use a regular old knot to hold the weight about 6-10 inches above the hook. Keeps the bream from running around too much and getting tangled but lets them move around just enough trying to get away and attracts the cat.

They're not the prettiest but they get the job done. After reading on here I'll figure a way out to knock them a loose without cooling the mold down (either the candle smoke or grease or pam) and see if it helps any. Lots of good reading on here. I've got a buddy that runs a machine shop. After I showed him what I was doing he started drawing up a mold for those weights for me. Who knows... maybe he'll build something fancy for me :wink:

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    get some spray silicone and spray down the mold and screwdriver and they will release from the lead easier.

Thanks for the idea. Can adapt your idea to make molds for no rolls or other types of weights.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    dont wait till the lead cools completely to take them out. do it as soon as it sets up and they'll come right out. it takes a little practice to get your timing right though. too soon, and the hole will collapse. too late and they're hard to get apart. I use a spraycan of wd-40 on my molds between pours. that helps quite a bit. I also have a suggestion for yout limbline tie offs. have you ever had a hook straightened, or a line broken by a big fish? use a section of a bicycle inner tube or some other source of rubber to make a shock leader. tie a short section of line to the tree with the rubber tied to it. then tie your line to that. it keeps them from breaking it off and keeps the fish on. try it. you'll like it.

5. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks fellas... will give the suggestions a try. I picked up another 40-50 lbs of lead on my last vacation back home so as soon as I get some projects caught up... hehe

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wouldn't the weights come out easier if you used copper instead of galvanized?

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    yes, I like using a inner tube and nailling it to the tree and then tieing off to the tube for my limb lines...and also you could almost use those weights as a buy alsomt egg sinker!!:big_smile:

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Before I went to usen old castnet weights for my limb lines. My old man and me would drill a old pine 2x4 with a 1/2 inch spade drill bit every 2 inchs and 3 inches deep then drive in big coffin nails in the opening on thru the last 1/2 of board the spade bit point centered the nail for ya. we then poured to lead to the top of the holes let cool and pulled the nails with a crow bar and then split the board with a wood chisle and crow bars. A lil work but we could make 20 or so a pop out of junk wood. I am thinking of using a blank do it mold and making a 2 hole one to pour the same style.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    blank do it molds are awesome,espescially if you are patient enough to work the aluminum,you can make a mold for whatever you need that will work faster than any totally homemade version

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    the easiest way to make a no roll mold,FREEZE PLUGS,different sizes different weights.its a secret i dont normally tell.and it works great.:big_smile: