My latest rig

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Oct 29, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The cats I catch are in the 2-4lb range. This rig works and the sinker is small because there isn't much current where I fish.

The baitfish I use are fresh caught w/ a cast net (like a lot of you use).

Here is a pic I drew:

bait_rig_oct2006.JPG

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that basically the same as what i use for that size fish in our lake except i use a snap swivel so i can leave a deeply hooked fish alive till i get home with it i just change out my hook and put a new one on

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Me too. Use a swivel so I can release em with the hook in if I don't catch enough for a freezing. Read the hook will just rust an work it's way out doing less damage than I would trying to remove em.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most of my channels are throat-hooked and I just cut the line and let them swim off. thanks for the tips

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Dont see a thing wrong with that rig at all. Thanks for sharing.

Wheelmobile07

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Call that a carolina rig. Try a bead on your main line between the sinker and swivel. Keeps the sinker from beatin your knot to death. Also get a float pinned on that leader about 3 to 4 inches back from the hook. This will keep your bait up off the bottom and allow them overbite channels to get it in thier mouths alot easier. Just a suggestion. Not gospel. It works for me just fine.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    your always talking of a float pinned , what size float do you use ? and how do you pin it to the line ? if you would go into paint and draw a pic for us non reading and understanding folks we would sure appreciate it or take a pic . thanks in advance

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Seein how ya asked so nice. Sure I can. LOL! The float as you can see has a small pin that comes with it. The float is also hollow. Slide your leader through it then push the little pin into the hole wedgeing the line in there. The floats come in different sizes so you can adjust according to the size bait ya use. Attached is a pic of the float and pin seperated and how it looks attached to the leader.

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks for the pic George

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yep thats what i call it too a carolina rig like george said , put you a little plastic bead on it between the swivel and sinker and its good to go.

i will try that bobber trick next outting.

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    George that 1 float looks like it has teeth marks on it. I guess a cat would bite the float from time to time.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I kinda thought the same thing. Don't really know. I figured it was caused by structure that I fish and things like that.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just like the rig I use too. I don't use snap swivels anymore because it's been the cutprit of too many lost and nearly lost fish. Now I just cut the line on gill or throat hooked fish and tie a new leader. Small cats the snap is o.k. though.

14. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Have you ever noticed that about the time ya get a nice discussion going someone comes along and just has to disagree. Yep, sorry guys, but I'd like to challenge the bead to protect the knot idea. :embarassed:

If you take a minute to look closely at your beads you will see a sharp edge on the surface of the bead at the hole. The plastic from which the bead is made is pretty hard so you have a relatively hard, sharp edge. The line diameter is several times smaller than the hole in the bead which means that when the bead hits the knot it will hit with that sharp edge instead of the rounded edge of the hole in the sinker.

I quit using beads. I'm not sure they do any good.

15. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I believe the same as corn, I have never used beads . I don't think I have any more line breakage than any one .

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thank you very much George for that useful info.I hadn't even thought of putting a bobber that close to the hook to keep bait off bottom. Sounds like a real good plan. Reps to you .

17. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good to hear from ya Corn! I sent ya a PM with a challenge. LOL!

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Corn I agree with you there.
    That is the reason I started using soft rubber(about 1/8" long) tubing in place of it. I get a pack of 1000 at wal-mart they are all colors and even glow. Works great and stop the shock of the sinker hitting the knot.
    Pete

PS The reason for beads I believe in bass fishing was the sound of 2 of them and the sinker clicking and drawing fish in.

19. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    I take a #8 hook and spin it a few times anound the hole in the sinker. It make the hole nice round and smooth. Also alows the swivel to hit the sinker and the knot to go in the hole. Just don't bore it out to big.

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with you Corn! You are right, the bead is sharper than most slip weights and over hyped. Matter of fact, I do not even use a swivel half the time as normally they do not work properly anyhow. I have found that the more structure you fish in with the use of a leader, the more hang ups you will get no matter how short it is. Keep it simple and get back to the basics..
    Vince Copple
    TeamWhiskers