My last pics until after winter

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TrophyHunter, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
    Just got these pics back.Unfortunatly my catfishing is done for this season winter is breathing down our necks up here it snowed today.I will keep you all updated on my icefishing adventures in the all other fish section once it freezes up here. Anyways here are some more manitoba channels.

My uncle fighting his first ever channel cat
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/012_DR.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/011_DR.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/010_DR.jpg

The cat a 33"
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/013_DR.jpg

Him and my other uncle with a double header
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/030_DR.jpg

and here is me with a couple fat cats
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/029_DR.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/trophyhunter/009_DR.jpg

It was a good year for me as far as catfishing went they were fat and fought hard all were released to grow and spread on there awesome genes :cool:

2. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Very nice pics/fish thanks for sharing your catch with us it will be spring before you know it.

3. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Thanks Brad glad you liked them! As sad as I am that catfishing is done I'm raring to go icefishing it is so much fun and the fish taste sooooo good out of the ice cold water!!

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just watch out for those hooks

5. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    :happy: Definatly!! :D

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Those are some nice channels. For some reason I never thought of yall having Channel cats up there.

7. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I have read about manitoba being the number one spot for big channels but could you refresh me on why that is again, especially since they dont have that never ending season like in the south. I run into some 30"+ channels here in pittsburgh and man do they beat the hell out of flats when it comes to pound for pound fighting ability!

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nic cats, from all the pictures you have posted, looks like you guys have some real trophies up there.

-brian

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I never knew channels in Canada were bigger........thats crazy, those are some huge channel cats.......do you guys have any flat heads up that way??

10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Thanks guys!! Bigpapa there are a few reasons why the channels get so big up here #1 reason is the regulation that states ANY cat over 24" in length must be released and there is a 4 catfish possession limit (which includes fish in the freezer) and very few people keep them to eat. Another reason is these cats go back and forth from the river into Lake Winnipeg a huge lake loaded with food and no fishing pressure out on the lake. The size of these cats that I have posted are average size and proof of what catch and release can do! My personal best was a 41" that was 30+lbs the gut on her was unreal!! We have 2 species of bullheads and channel cats no flats or blues up here.

11. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    those are some nice fish, thanks for sharing those. good luck on the ice fishing, keep us updated.

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    we need some catfish regulations down here in the states.......!!

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey TrophyHunter,

"Your The Man :thumbsup: "

I just wanted you to know that I enjoyed looking at your photos.

Take it easy & have a nice icefishing season. :D

Bert :cool:

14. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Brian and Shaina thanks for the nice reply's I'm glad you all like looking at my pics... :0a31: I sure had a blast catching them!! :D Bassmassy people up here wanted the cats protected and wouldn't give up...the results are paying off big time IMHO. :) I just got back in from outside can see my breath out there..snowed yesterday :D So I fired up my ski-doo :D You guys will get a kick out of my winter adventures I'll be sure to keep you all posted :rock-big:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice channel catfish!

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catches, glad you got out one last time. I need to do it soon, the frost is starting to threaten us around here.

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Congrats on the nice cats!! Still lots of time to get out and catch more. Winter is always when everyone puts stuff away. You can still catch fish in the winter months. :p

18. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Thanks Desperado!! Our water is literally liquid ice right now :D should have a skim of ice on it within a couple of weeks. I'm strictly a CP&R catfisherman and the cats can be caught but it is extremely hard on them as they are hunkered down out of the current. It takes a loooooong time to revive em enough for them to swim away as they are very lethargic 37" cats come in dead weight like pulling in a log.I like to let em be this time of year. :) I'm tuning up my Ski-doo and spooling up my icefishing rods charging up the battery on my Vexilar Fl-18 and sorting through my ice jigs and spoons getting primed up for yellow perch (my favorite fish to eat!!) Walleye, pike and burbot as well as crappies and trout I can't wait!!! :D :D :D

19. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Nice Channels Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Great pix. I'm gald they dont have a quantity limit here though I would like to see a size limit. I eat more catfish than any other kind of fish. I do most of my catfishing to fill my freezer up. I know we caught alot this year but we are already almost out of meat. I guess my bro needs to hurry up and get a deer.