My last cat of the season

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jlingle, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I caught another cat yesterday. I decided this one will be my last for the season. I had a vasectomy on Thursday, and resetting traps just wasn't much fun in my condition. The road getting into the property where my line was set, was bad enough. Heck I've done well this year, I don't have to make a game-hog out of myself. I've caught plenty out of the 2 properties that I've been trapping. I pulled everything and put it up for the year.

Guys, thanks so much for your comments, tips, and encouragement this trapping season. It's helped me out more than you'll know. One of the greatest things about the BOC is the willingness of everyone to help each other out, whether they know them or not. In that way, it really is like a family atmosphere. It still blows my mind that there's this much knowledge in a collection of people, and no one thinks twice about sharing it. It's awesome. I'd never caught a catfish over 20 pounds before joining this site. Heck, now we expect it everytime we go out or we're disappointed. It just goes to show how one person's life can be touched and changed by folks that will never come face to face with me.

Thank yall.

Sorry the picture is kinda crappy. He's hanging head-down in a tree bleeding out in the picture. I forgot to get a pic of him alive. Oops.

Attached Files:

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your season Jerrod, and I agree 100% on your comments about the BOC, its a great site!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on a great season,Jerrod. Glad I could help you out with some of your questions. You Are right about the BOC,Greatest bunch of folks anywhere. Bar None. I might wander over to Altus some day,Dont count me out :wink:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Glad you had such a great season. Looks like you've got it figured out. And you're right about these folks. Until we got on here, we'd never even seriously done any catfishing; now we live & breathe for it. In fact, we've made some of our best friends by meeting them through here & finding out they lived just a few miles from us. :roll_eyes:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Way to go Jerrod ... You have had a super season ... I will be wrapping it up in a few days myself ... I keep holding out for that last mink .... but it has been very elsuive .... bug problem is getting back into where I really need to get with all of the mud we have ... anybody want to donate a 4 x 4 to and Poor Old Fart? ... Garry-

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Jerrod, congrats on a great season! Ain't nothing like enjoying your time outdoors on the trapline! I'm gona try and catch a couple more beavers next week when I get home from Mexico, then my season will be over too. It's been a blast!

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So what was your final count Jerrod?
    I'm still waiting to see my first 1 and the guys over in western Iowa are calling for unlimited trapping.
    have a good one
    just

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    12 cats, 6 coons, 3 coyotes, 1 badger

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    How many different properties and how many acres have you trapped on this year? How many nights did you trap? Just curious on your success rate/days trapped etc. That is an incredible trapping season in my mind. Did you decide to mount that 28 lb male?

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I only trapped 2 different properties, about 600 acres total, about 1 mile apart on the river. Where I'm trapping, this river is a natural travel route for cats. There's not much cover in the whole area, except for the river bottom so these animals use it to move north & south. I really don't know when I started & hate to put a pencil to paper on how many days/animal I trapped. I think I caught my first cat exactly one month ago today. I also caught quite a few possums, 2 porcupines, and several skunks. I forgot to put those in the total. Cats were the primary target, and I used Caven's Feline Fix gland lure and bobcat urine at my sets nearly exclusively. The most traps I had set out at once was 8.

I haven't decided what to do with the big tom. He's just sitting in the freezer staring at me at the moment (not literally, he's quite deceased) and I don't anticipate selling him at this year's prices. I still have a few cats in the freezer that I need to get tagged. I imagine I'll fill out the paperwork and keep them until next year to sell.

11. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info.

When you catch a skunk and walk up to the trap do they spray? How do you keep them from spraying? If they do spray does it affect your set for cats and for how long?

In Missouri there is a possession date for raw fur. Does your state have a possession date for raw fur? Or does the tagging system allow you to hold the raw fur all year? Thanks.

12. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice year on the cats man they sure are a beautiful animal good luck next season also, ill have to try some of those mb 650 for coyote thanks

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    When you are approaching a skunk he will be just like any other animal.
    He will look at you to see if you are a threat. If he thinks you are a threat he will warn you by turning his back to you and raising his tail.
    He will then look back at you.
    Thats when you retreat. If you stay there you'll very possibly get sprayed.

Wait till he turns back around and slowly move toward him.
    As long as he is looking straight at you he won't spray.
    Disclaimer
    At least that what I have noticed.
    Approach at your own risk
    lol
    good luck and the best 2ya
    just

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    In Oklahoma, you have until 10 days after season ends to either sell your fur, or notify the dept. of wildlife of your intention to keep it, along with an inventory of what you have.

15. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info guys. I've never trapped before. l might give it a try next year if I can afford some traps. I'l have to remember the tip about the skunk if I do. :eek:oooh: