my jon boat leaks

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by txthumper1691, Apr 21, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    so, I decided to clean it out and fill it w/h2o and check underneath for leaks. seems th old rivets holding th ribs and th seats are whats leakin. Figured I would put some JB weld on the outside on those old rivets. Was just wondering if anyone else tried this and how much help was it?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I woud first try to tighten the rivets if you can get to both sides. Put a big piece of metal (somtimes called a dolly?)or hammer on one side and lightly tap the other side with a hammer. This may take 2 people, and dont overtighten the rivets! If that doesn't work i would use a product like 3M 4200 or 5200 sealant. It should flex more than JB Weld, which is important in riveted jon boat. That boat will expand and contract and JB Weld is fairly rigid, which may leak. If you go the 3M route, get the quick curing, as it fully cures in a day or so instead of a week. 4200 is semi-permanent, and 5200 is permanent, meaning you usually need a chisel to remove it. Just make sure whichever route you go, clean it up good first so it can really grab onto the aluminum.

3. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cabelas sells some stuff just for that problem. I havent used it but have heard from people that it works well.

4. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    My old jon leaked bad. I rehit all the rivets like canstopgrandma recommended. I used an air chisel with a rivet setter and had a it backed up by a 8lb sledgehammer head. After that I coated the bottom with steelflex epoxy and that boat is tight as a drum now. This is the link to where I have posted the info before.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1001438&postcount=21

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    thanks guys for th help and info. But, not being able to get to read this before I JB welded what I thought to be th problem, my boat still leaks and now I found that stuff cabelas carries for like 7 bucks, all I need is a torch, lowes has'em for 13 bucks. Now, since I wasnt patient enough to wait for a response, what do I do about th jb weld? grind it down, leave it, use th torch and melt it? I wanna use this stuff from cabelas, no disrespect ouachita, just dont have th $$ for that yet, but will eventually re-do th entire boat with that steelflex epoxy.

6. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    what is the stuff called that you got at cabelas? Ihave the same issues. thanks for any info

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey my cousin had a job boat and me and him use to take it out, J.B weld should hold it good but it may not last for a long time, but if i was you, after putting j.b weld on it id put water over it to see if it bubbles with any leaks.

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    O it still leaks. guess I didnt get th rivets tight enough or something, but at any rate come Tuesday a.m. after gettin th kiddos on th school bus, th wife an I r headin to Buda, Tx. to th Cabelas there to get th epoxy to fix my old jon boat. I still dont know if I should leave th jb weld or try to sand it off or what. I was actualy thinkin of rhino lining th inside of th boat as well as steelflex epoxy paint th outside. I DONT WANT ANY WATER LEAKIN INTO MY BOAT. :wink:

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Well here's an up-date on th leaky boat. th aluminum boat patch kit I ordered from Cabelas came in on Thursday, Friday morning got out and patched up th boat, found that more than just th rivets were leakin, had a hole under th midle bench seat th size of a 16 penny nail, that 3m epoxy patch fixed me right up. had another small hole on th transom and that was about it. Now my boat is leak free. will post update on fishing trip in alternate ways of catching catfish. My next project is gonna be to order that epoxy paint from fasco epoxies and paint th whole outside of th boat, to ensure no more leaks PERIOD. I was wondering while I was applying th green epoxy stick, would using a regular glue stick work just as good as th epoxy patch? It flexes to, but would I bond well w/th aluminum? didnt try it, but just wanted some thoughts.

10. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carry these for emergeny hole fix. The sticks from Cabelas work too I was the one that posted the fix but you have to carry a torch with you. JB Weld works for a while if its not flexed.
    http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/adhesives/repoxy.htm

Put about 6 to 12 in of water in boat with plug in thats how I test a Jon Boat when I buy it. I BMOH (Bring my own hose).

Let it sit and get underneath with waterproof red magic marker.

Circle all leaks. Repair em.

When you think you are done refill boat. If ok grab yo rod or some trotlines and lets go fishin!!!!!!!:wink:

11. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    dont all jon boats leak???? wal mart sels this stuff i used and it works great it is marine addesive sealant. put it on 4 years ago and still no problems or leaks. its like 5 bucks a tube and its in the boating section. there is only one problem i found using this stuff. its hard as heck to get out the tubelol but it works great. hope this helps and gl with your leaks

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Plastic roofing cement works pretty good.

13. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I sold an old knocker jonboat a couple of years ago, a Fisher Marine that had 'found' too many stumps and cypress knees. Over the years, it had developed some leaks, even a couple of puctures. An old guide from TN told me how to fix it, and while it is not 'permanent' [is anything?] it will last two-three years or longer, and it wonm't leak if you do it right!
    Go the the local Home Depot, Lowe's, what ever and go to the gutter section. You'll find a sealent in a tube to fit your caulking gun, this stuff will be a sivery color and it is tough and durable - plus it is and stays flexible! and cheap. Clean all the seams, rivet heads, etc and use a fine wire brush to rough up the metal. Put the sealer down, spread it around a bit and let it dry. I don't recall what type but if you read the label re cleanup you can find a solvent that will help to spread it out and smooth it down. Your now good to go for a year or three, then you can do it again. You know how to do it now! Hope this helps.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont understand the problem here!!!!!!:big_smile:The easiest way to deal with leaks in an aluminium boat is to check all the rivets ,seams ,holes etc where you have water coming in,then make sure you have at least one hole designated to let the water out.:big_smile::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:No messy tubes or pounding on rivets.Of course it isnt as dry as a leak free boat but you dont have to worry about sinking,AND during those hot summer days the bottom always stays cool!!!!!!:crazy:

15. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I have a jon boat that leaked badly. What I did was replace the loose rivets with self taping metal screws ( the kind used for metal roofing with the neoprene washers ) and then I painted the bottom and sides with brushable bed liner. It hasn't leaked since, and thats been about 2 1/2 years now.

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    for a rivet leak that would be the way to go

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  18. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Repairs Leaks in Aluminum Boats. This fusion bondage epoxy will repair and waterproof aluminum boat rivets, minor cracks and small holes without welding.Uses a gas Torch...

Just dont drip the hot epoxy on your skin as it will stick and burn to the bone......:smile2:

19. billbad

billbad New Member

State:
    Georgia
    JB weld works wonders, I've used it on my boat a few times and it has never let me down!! always works.

20. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I have tryed all the above methods and have never been able to permantly stop a leakly rivit. tryed rehammering with an air hammer and bucking bar ( i have homebuilt aircraft). epoxy worked for a little while.
    I have worked with the local boat dealer, where I do part-time sales.
    Our techs say rivited tin boats flex and slide at the rivits, they are supposed to. None of our techs like welded aluminum. They crack, rather than flex. What is my answer? Sell this boat, with complete honesty to the buyer. Give him a good price, and move on. No doubt the only working solution for me