My interior lighting solution

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 223Smitty, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I posted awhile back about wanting to add just alittle lighting to the inside of the boat, just enough to move-around safely & easily. I was going to go with the 12V rope-light suggestion.

In the process of rummaging through some boxes of junk today, I ran across a box of new trailer clearence lights (yellow/amber color) I never had a use for ....then the light went off in my head (pun intended):roll_eyes:

That's what I put on the boat today. One at the step-up to the front deck, as well as one on the deck. Best part....$0 cost other than switches, I switched the front & rear seperately.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/IM001679.jpg

Did the same on the back
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/IM001680.jpg

And while I was in the lighting mood, added a power port & a spotlight on the dash
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/IM001681.jpg

I'm anxious to see how they look after dark!

Smitty

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks great, and should work fine too, nice rod holders, seems like I've seen them some where before HMMMM

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is a good idea and your install job looks great. I bet it will look really good at night.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks! I just got in from the barn, I wanted it to be as dark as possible to see what they looked like.....I'm a happy-camper :big_smile: The 2 "lower ones" light the floor more than enough to see from 1 end to the other. I mentioned I switched the front & back halves seperately, I didn't say that I put each switch where they can be controlled from the front & rear seats, so they both can be turned on/off without getting-up.

Also, these lights take the automotive style "peanut" bulbs, so if one burns out, snap-off the cover & pop-in a new bulb. As I was checking them out after dark, since the boats on the trailer & I was standing next to it, the front upper-deck light seemed almost too bright, but I was much closer to the same level standing beside the boat, than I will be in the seat. The lenses have an "untextured" circle in the center, which lets out more light than the rest of the lens. I may have to fool with adding a piece of tape over a spot or two that if it proves too bright from the seat, then I can paint a portion of the inside of the lense as a more permanent fix. There's enough light directly in front of them to allow re-hooking a rig if needed.

I was asked about bugs, can't really say until I give it a try some night soon. I'm waiting for the paperwork to get thru the BMV, then it'll be ready to see how everything works.

lol, Blackhorse....if the PVC holders were your origional design...thanks! :wink:

Smitty

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wanted to let anyone who was interested that the lights work great! They add enough light to find something in the boat, or to just walk through it without tripping over something. If you're looking for some cheap lighting, you might want to consider giving these a try.

Smitty

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I put some of them on a pontoon I had. The best part is that they won't attract bugs.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good job Trapper looks great!!! Just one little thing I noticed though. Your Boat is Entirely to CLEAN. So just bring it to Iowa and I'll help you slime it up a little. L.O.L. Bigcatman0816.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree,it looks great,BUT you need to go out and get some slime on the boat.Its too pretty that way.:smile2:

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They weren't my idea but, I sure use them and like em