My horrendous net job

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by EsoxJohnny, Jul 10, 2006.

1. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, I still feel sick about it. It would have been my buddies biggest flathead, by far. Solid upper 30's maybe even 40lbs. It was all a shallow mud flat in front of us. Too shallow to get the net under the fish. And the mud was too deep and soft to walk out to the fish. The fish pretty much beached itself facing away from the bank out towards the river. I thought if I could get the fishes head in the net she would charge into it or I would atleast be able to corral her closer to us. Nope, didn't happen like that. She pulled a furious spin move and charged around the side of the net and snapped the 20lb. line. First fish I have ever punted on netting duty and it just had to be my buddies personal best. I keep re-playing it in my head and second guessing how I handled it. Saying sorry to the guy just doesn't do it any justice. Guaranteed, next time I'll be treading mud and going for the bear hug.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I always try and trap the fish under the net in those situations. Then I grab ahold with a hand or wait on buddy to drop the pole and come help. It is pretty effective. It happens brother, I know you feel horrible. Dont beat yourself up too bad over it.

I did the same thing to Tinboat in Chatt in 04, he only calls once a week to tell me what an idiot I am. LMAO

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it happens to the best and worst of us. Sorry to that but the fish is there and can be caught agian.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just reminding you what an idiot you are! LMAO:lol:

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Thats sounds like a tuff situation.At least you dident farm the fish in a boat over deep water.The fish was beached on a mudbank.Dont feel to bad.Im glad my netman did me well over our last flathead trip.The one fish that got away was from a pulled circle next to the boat,it felt heavy though.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    John brother, you both have to go back and redeem yourself. That flathead should be in the same area and will be feeding again. Dont let the story end with a short coming.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    At least you can leanr form your mistakes. I bet that you won't be doing that again!

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Dang that's a tough break! Hopefully he isn't too mad at you and will keep on being your fishing buddy.

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive had similar situations. About 2 years ago I was drift fishing with a 1# carp through a local lake. I had what looked like a 20# blue grab it. This would have been my personal best on Rod and reel. I wrestled the fish in and about 3 foot from the boat the fish starting spinning. My dad dipped the net under teh fish and not a split second later the hook came out and the fish waved good bye. I nearly jumped the boat after the fish. All day after that I had a lump in my stomache. My personal best before that fish on RR was only like 6#.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd call it a "caught" fish. You were close enough to touch it & see it, you both know what you had, wasn't like it got-off 20' from the bank. I'd imagine it'd have been released anyway (just assuming, not judging). I'd say give each other a high-five, pop a couple of cold ones & carry-on :wink:

Smitty

11. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    sorry to hear that man, maybe u should think about using heavier line. i know a 40 pound flat will have no problem breaking 20# line. especially if u get hung up and u need that extra strenght.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey John, don't let it get you down. I bet you feel worse about than he does. It won't be long until it will be a good memory and a story you will tell every chance you get.

ST

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hey, losing a big 'un happens to all of us sooner or later. Buckle up, get out there and give 'er a go! Next time that hawg may be bigger!

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That probably wasn't the first net it had evaded. Go back and get it next time out. I had about the same thing happen more than once. If they were eaasy to get everybody would have one.At least you go to see it. It counts for his Pb, isay.

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    buddy i did that with my uncle's biggest channel ever last year.....it still hurts.....even after they forgive you it still dont fit right. it happens to the best of us