My Homemade Chum

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Jaylake_21, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im new to the group, so I figured I could hopefully give someone some useful info. This is how i make my chum:

You will need the following things:

2 (two) 5 gallon buckets
    1 bag of maize
    1 bag of sugar
    some water
    1 6 pack of beer (perferably your favorite kind of beer)

Take the bag of maize and fill up each bucket half way.
    Add some sugar to each bucket, i usually put 3-5lbs of sugar in each bucket.
    Then, i take and fill each bucket about 1/4 full with water.
    Then i add 2 beers to each bucket.
    Stir up the chum, and let it sit a few weeks in the sun. Every few days, stir the chum around. When you go fishing, make sure you take a pair of ear plugs with you. The best kind is the kind that you roll up and insert into your ears. Put those plugs in your nose, because you will need them. The smellier it is, the better. I have used this time and time again, and I really like the way it works.

If you kept count, you still have 2 beers left. Those are for you to enjoy.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the info & welcome to the boc

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib:big_smile:

4. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the boc. on the chum you you cup it out and through it in the water or do you drill holes in the pucket and sit in the water?

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC ,got any crackers ! LOL :smile2:

6. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    GOOD ADVISE ON THE EAR PLUGS,SEEMS MORE COMFORTABLE THAN A CLOTHESPIN!!!

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome the the BOC from southeast kentucky and thanks for the info

8. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the tip , welcome to the BOC!

9. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    I see that everyone else is welcomein' you to the BOC as I also will. Welcome and thanks for the recipe. Now WHY ARE YOU GONNA WASTE THAT MUCH BEER ON CHUM. LOL

10. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Jay and thank you for the useful tips.

Rubes

11. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had a few people asking me why i put beer and sugar in my chum. Suagr & beer help out with the fermentation process. You could use other stuff besides beer or sugar. Or, you could not use anything. However, if you are making chum in the winter, the sugar and beer helps, cause it speeds up the process. Alot of times, Ill let my chum sit for a month or more before I use it. The smellier, the better. You know you have good chum, when your stirring it around, and the neighbors are in their back yard, and they start complaining of the smell.

I also had a question about spreading it out. I have thrown it out with a scoop, or small coffee can. *Note- don not let it get on your hands.* And i have also put it in containers & sank them. Just make sure you tie a string to the container and tie it up somewhere, so you can pull the container when you are done with it. Never just sink containers or buckets, and leave them there. Hope this helps.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never used this but I'm interested to see how it works. Thanks

13. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    LOL - for both the ears and the beers! Thanks for the recipe.

14. catfisherman_eky3

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you know how to make the chum

15. Jambal

Jambal New Member

State:
    Overseas - Indonesia
    Is there a thread to introduce oneself here? Coz I've been introducing myself everytime I post something ... well, here we go again. I'm from Indonesia in South East Asia and I'm new to this group. I fish cats and others (carp, giant gouramy, tilapia) in ponds (in tournament base) and in wilderness (rivers, lakes, sometimes you have to go into the jungle to get the monstrous size). Some of the area I've been and planned to go to are Sumatera, Borneo, Celebes, and Papua island. We use many different types of bait depending upon the location and the habitat surrounding the location. If it's close to palm fruit vegetation than the bait to choose is the palm fruit. The no. 1 bait to use is by fermenting the remainings of fish (any fish) with cotton balls (as a media to hook on). Let it fermented for a week and you'll get your bait. I'm gonna have to warn you that it stinks badly. Use rubber glove when applying it to your hook.
    As for chum, you can buy pellet from a fish store soak them with warm water for 5 mins or so and mix them with garlic, vinegar, and essence (shark, turtle, shrimp, lemon). Let the dough settle overnight.
    Hope it helps ... it works in my country, please give it a try in yours see if it works too. Sorry for the bad english ... please feel free to make corrective suggestion.

16. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen, Reza. There is an introduction thread here: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121 but you don't have to post there. You can make a new thread introducing yourself or just keep posting like you have. I hope you come to like this site as much as I do. :big_smile:

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A hearty welcome to Jambal and Jaylake, thanks for posting your chum recipes.

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:smile2:

19. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it good tips in boc lib

20. catfisherman_eky3