My homeade bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by quadrunner42029, May 31, 2009.

1. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    I didnt pay for a single thing i already had the aerator pump it cost 25 bux but i had it for a few yrs barrel was free and the hose and fittings came out of a boat we are working on right now. Its not the best design but it works great for gizzards the little fragile threadfins die but we mainly use big gizzards and it will keep about 20 of them alive all night i do a 50/50 water change about every 3 hours i keep a bilge and 5 ft of hose just to use to change water and i also keep ammonia killer you can get at any pet store or walmart in pet section and rejuvenade slime treatment and stress reliever and it works good for a standyby tank until we get time and money to build a better one.

Attached Files:

2. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is a pig cat you have in your hands.

3. fatboy2006

fatboy2006 New Member

State:
    nc
    Try to put some salt like the water softner.Also try finer shiner it helps with them. By the way I'm fatboy 2006

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dustyn i like your bait tank ,i know this is in the wrong thread but ,how's the new job going for u ? good i hope :wink:

5. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey, I kinda like that tank, too. I like the round design best...shad like to keep swimming, and in a square tank they'll all bunch up in the corners and bloody their noses...they don't last too long after that. In a round tank they can just keep going in circles all day long. That black plastic might make things a little toasty on them during the summertime heat...but at night I think it would work great! Good job!

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats a good idea. nice and cheap. thanks for shareing....just sucks going down the river and hitting a bump and the water goes flying lol

7. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    it sits in very back of boat where the boat has the least up and down movement and i havent had it splash out but once and i hit a huge wave from a ski boat but that was my own fault lol

8. drcatfish

drcatfish New Member

State:
    nc
    take the top the bareel screw to the barrel and cut a open and make a lid no more splash

9. Pretty good starter tank my tinkering friend. But keep an eye on that bilge pump. It isn't designed to run constantly for days. My first tank had one too because I had it laying around and was fairly new. It burned out after about two weeks. Now I got a 20 dollar wal mart pond pump and it does fine and plugs in 120ac. Build a screen around the pump too to keeb the fish crap from clogging it up. I change half the water very other day, and use no chemicals and the sunnies are nice and happy. I am sure that is different for the baits that you have though bro. Good luck with it.

This was my first setup with the bilge pump. The screen was an old chum can thing. The holes were still too big and the holes in the hose kept getting clogged, so I tie wrapped a rag around it and it worked but it got nasty to change...........

10. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    kool set up looks good to me

11. Here is the updated walmart pump and pvc pipes. I made that screen filter housing out of stainless mesh cloth with an enclosed bottom. Note the screen comes above the water line to set against the closed lid. That keeps a bait from getting trapped in there and keeps the floating debries outta there. The pump sets down perfectly into it, it filters great, and just gotta pull out and knock it clean against the trash can. I also marked the holes in the pvc whit a marker so when they do clog, they are easy to locate. I also installed a backup air stone bubbler to keep things happy in there.