My HDS-7 Review

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by tbull, May 23, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well I got out last night for the first time with the new unit. Let me say first off that there is no doubt that the sonar portion of the HDS is hands down 10x better than the Previous x510c I had. Very clear screen, alot less clutter. Adjusting the sensitivity just a hair will pretty much wipe out all of the clutter on the screen, and that is with the surface clarity and noise rejection left undisturbed. Also you dont lose yours fish arches when you drop the sensitivity, I had that problem with my old unit. Very impressive. Also I really like the dual frequency transducer, 200khz, 83khz, and 50khz. The 83khz is a huge step up especially for shallow water applications, the 120 degree cone angle really opens things up and allows you to see more of the water column. Perfect fish arches, and awesome definition of the bottom. I was actually able to hold the bottom at 50mph, again something that was not possible with my old unit. The larger screen on the HDS7 is a definate plus and I am glad I sprung the extra cash, well worth it IMO.

I did have some issues with the GPS not getting a fix. I am not sure if it's because of where the unit is mounted or not. But at the end of the night I could not get a fix. I will have to fool with it more, and maybe call Lowrance to see whats going on. At the beginning of the night when the GPS was working, the basemap was better than I thought it would be as far as accuracy goes.

The down side IMO to this unit is it can get very confusing. Definatley better technology wise above the older units, and thats probably why its so confusing...lol...I still have alot to learn, right now I can't even figure out how to get certain info on the screen that I want, like voltage, speed, etc...

That being said I was very impressed with the unit for my first trip out with it, definatley do not regret my purchase. As long as the GPS gets its act together. The unit is mounted right next to my in dash radio and antenna so I am wondering if that could be the problem?? All and all though glad I got the new Lowrance, and I think any of you guys will feel the same way. If you are in the market for a new unit, and are on the fence about the new HDS or the previous generation Lowrance's, I would go the with the HDS if you can swing it.:cool2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Travis thanks for the review. I'm thinking in that direction. It will probably be next year now.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOWRANCE HDS-5 83/200 KHZ GPS WITH LAKE INSIGHT 720 dollars. I dont know if I can swing for the 7. IS this the fishfinder to get, or should i get with a cheaper one. A buddy of mine told me this model had satellite radio on it as well. And i was reading a few reviews from a BOC member, and he said he could hold bottom at 50 mph. I am new to the fish finder/ gps game but i think it will up my odds of cathing fish. Well just tell me what you think and what you are using and what is good about them as well. I am not partial to lowrance just know they make quality things. Thanks SGT Shorey Hope you like your HDS-7 and keep the reviews coming, you never know i may splurge alittle and get the 7.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    All of the HDS are capable to have the sirius radio and weather stuff, but it comes at a cost with extra recievers and plans you have to buy, not cheap when you consider how expensive the units already are anyway. I should be out tonight for the 2nd time with the unit, will post back any more updates to the previous post. I was able to get alot of things figured out just sitting in the garage with the manual..

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I had a problem with my GPS not hooking up with the satelite the first day I used it but since then it only takes about a minute and havent lost the connection. I can hold bottom to about 20mph but the hull design on my boat sucks and produces lots of cavitation across the whole transom at speed.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the review Travis, sounds promising. I still have yet to get mine on the water, but I am going to take care of that this evening, hopefully, got some chances of T-storms today. If all goes well, I'll drop a quick review on your thread to let ya'all know how my experience with the HDS-7 went.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I too love my HDS7 it is by far the nicest unit I have ever owned. My GPS gave me a fit for the 1st day I used it but never sinse then. I have had mine sinse the end of Febuary and love it. I sure wish they would go ahead in put a price tag on the SI upgrade so i can start saving my pennies.:wink:

8. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    My first impressions of the HdS-7, awsome! Now I realise that my old unit (H-Bird 565) was pretty much bottom of the line, but this new units color and clarity are amazing, ultra sharp bottom detail, and holds bottom detail and clarity at my boats top speed (30 mph). I'm still running on the "out of the box" settings, and am still reading and trying to comprehend the manual, this unit is much more complicated than my old one and has so many options to work with, I'm sure that in the end after I'm adept at using and interpeting the info, This will turn out to be a great unit. I am not disappointed in purchasing an HDS by any means. The HDS is awsome!
    The Insight USA GPS tuned right in and put us spot on where we were located at. I was again amazed at the clarity and detail of the GPS. I was easily able to mark weypoints and trace our track on the lake.
    Now if only Lowrance would get the Structure Scan out on the market at a reasonable price to add to our HDS units, and it rivals the new units for quality, clarity, and detail, all us HDS users will be very happy.
    Overall first impression: 10 of 10.
    More to come later.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I dont have the link copied but the link that Blackwaterkatz(Johnny) posted a while back on another thread which explains the finer points of the depth finder. It is very informative and explains each situation you will encounter with a lowrance in detail very very helpfull. And it was very helpfull in helping me dial my depthfinder to the ideal settings for which I fish.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    There it is :) Sorry Tommy I dont know what made me call you Johnny LOL

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    No problem. There's a lot of names to keep up with on this site. I've been called a lot worse...

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Took it out again Sunday night, GPS works fine I am just stupid and had it locked somehow.....lol...Works Awesome easily the best investment I have ever made..Now if I could just get all of those fish I see to bite I would be in great shape....:eek:oooh::confused2:

13. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I have a hds 7 too I like it very much. Ive used the charting system when its pitch black at night to find my way back to the boat ramp just following the gps trail from when I came out.

14. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I have HDS5 and I can not find the audio fish alarm. For when I am trolling.
    I went out twice and love the HDS5. I should have got the 7 for the split screen.

Thank you
    Mike

15. gottofish

gottofish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are two pages from a document on the web by a Luke Morris (search "Lowrance Pro Corner") that are not now in the document. I have no idea why they have been removed. Very interesting regarding what actually makes it to the screen. I haven't seen these two pages anywhere else.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  16. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I have had some time on my HDS-7 now. The more I use it the more I like it. After a lil tweeking on the factory settings I was able to clear it up and really bring out the detail. I'm still learning more about it every time I take it out. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my speed over onto the sonar screen, that way I can track my drift speed without have to split screen with the gps screen. Anybody figured that out yet?

Cant wait to add Structure Scan to it, anybody heard a retail price for it yet?

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    there should be a spot in the menu to go to advanced user options.. then look for screen /sonar overlay and that is were u chose your info that is shown on the screen

18. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hit your pages button then hit menu. You can set each page overlay from there. Steve

19. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Try this Barry. :wink:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQRypb_uC8