My Hands are sore

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SSG Johnson, Dec 12, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Started preping the kitchen floor last week for the new tile and then started laying the backer board after that. So heres to you....You Mud slinging rock layers with your sore backs cracked fingers and hands that feel like sand paper. Ive done plumbing, ran electric, laid carpet, capentry works and even worked on heavy duty industial crains but never in my life have I ever worked so hard to get ready to do some work. Never have my hands hurt so bad for days to the point of I cant scratch my head and forget about picking of the nose. My hat goes off to the tile layers out there. I know next time I walk across a tile floor I will remember this experiance and think of all the work that went into it. You have to be harder than a wall locker full of woodpeck lips to roll out of the rack and do this kind of work everyday. Have a cold one on me you deserve it more than most people know........

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sounds like a Bud Light commercial

"HERES TO YOU MR.TILE LAYER.....!!" :D

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    seems to me you need to go fishing to rest your hands! :D :D

4. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Just keep after it Chuck, it gets easier the more you do. Of course, your hands will still hurt...lol Also, talk about dried hands, wait till you get done cleaning up the grout. If you need any pointers or info, send me a PM.

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Got the last of the tile laid about an hour ago. Man im glad thats part is finished. The backer board was the worst of it so far. Ill post pics of the house when I am finished with the grout.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    SOunds like your keepin busy Chuck, look forward to seeing the pics. It will all pay off in the end.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Chuck, can't wait to see those pics! I'm sure its gonna be nice and its super easy to take care of.

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Got a kick out of that post! LOL. Even though it's hard while doing it, you will forever have the pride of accomplishing the task! Never laid tile, but NO MORE laminate floor for me! Anything but that!

Good to see you back. Now rest and relax for the rest of the year! Post the pics if you want while doing r and r. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Chuck, Send some picts when you get a chance bro. Have a blessed Christmas.

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'll give ya a little words of wisdom. Iffns its wet be very, very careful. LOL It'll up end ya in a heartbeat!

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chuck get you some udder balm my friend has been a cement man for years and swore by the stuff. Can't wait to see the pictures and Im with you I will tackle any job but flooring, man I hate that.

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

For a minute there I thought that title should be in the HI area!!!!!

LMAO

Ray

13. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Got to run to lowes to get anouther bag of grout and it should be complete in the next hour or so then the final wash and buff and I will be finished Pics to follow tonight or tommorow.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Chuck seems to me like your having fun there bro. Been a while since I did any tile work but I always did enjoy it, I just don’t understand why you don’t seem to like it. LOL

15. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I never said I didnt like it I just meant that its really hard work when you have to tear out the old floor, Fix the hole you put in the wall, paint the kitchen, pull out 1 million stapels out of the floor, burn up 4 drills trying to mix the morter, put down the backer board that takes 100 screws with a hammer drill, Drive the bit through your thumb 3 times because your hard headed and kept forgetting not to hold the screw, finally get to put down the tile which was a blast, and then grouting the tile which I found to be the easiest part of the whole ordeal and finally Im fininshed and cant wait to start on the landing and the two bathrooms. Now if I can find the memory card I will put up the pics. Here are the pics of the wood floor really its pergo floor that I put in the living room and hall way. Seriously I had a really good time doing the whole ordeal and would do it again in a heart beat. I look at it like going to school only you are graded by yourself and get to look at the grade for as long as you live there......LOL

Attached Files:

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Looks pretty nice to me. Congrats on a job well done. Dick

17. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I don't usually take before pictures not that I don't want to but I get excited when its time to start so I forget until about the middle of the job. I put a pic of the stair way that will have the same floor as the Living room and hallway and also the landing which will have the same tile as the kitchen so you can get an idea of what it was like before. Same carpet on stairs was in living room and same linoleum on landing was in the kitchen. Anyway found the memory card so here is the pictures of my hard work. The carpet looks worse than it was but I havent really cleaned it because I know as soon as my stair bullnose gets here its out the door.....LOL

Attached Files:

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great job! Looks good! I have hard wood in the LR and hall. Put in about 5 years ago. Wish I had just went with that in the MBR, instead of the laminate. The price was about the same but it's hard for arthritic people to bump those nail guns.

I want to do the tile or lineloum (?) in the K and Bath eventually. Well not me personally, I don't think, but you know what I mean.

Glad it turned out so well for you! And like you said, you can enjoy it for the rest of your life.

19. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Beautiful job, Chuck! As the wife of a bricklayer, I know all about sore, dry, beat up hands. :sad: Nice job, and Merry Christmas!

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very nice looking job!!! :thumbsup: