My greatest catfish

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Apr 27, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Since I have been unable to go to the river so far this year I have had to think about the fish I have caught in the past. Below is as a story of a 72 pound flat head I caught on easter 2007. This is my greatest fish. I published this story then but I wanted to share it with you guys and see if maybe some of yous wanted to tell of your own great catfish you have caught.

Smiley " my dog" and I got to the Mississippi river about four oclock on easter morning. I had two poles with me, my 7000 abu garcia and my 320 iroc, the 320 is on my lucky pole. On the abu I used a large rock bass and on the iroc , I used shad guts with a strip of shad at the end of the hook. I threw the rockbass close to shore and I threw the shad way out into the current. This is the time of the year where you can catch some large blues out in the current. So i waited and waited. Then about daylight I started to get a small bite on the shad in the current. It was no big deal so I just kinda sit there and watched it. It would bite then it would stop . I figured it was just some small channel that was eating my bait. I decieded to reel it in before it ate it all. Of course I gave it a large jerk not expecting to even hook it.

To my suprise I knew it was a big one. This was not the first big one I have hooked so I didn/t panic. I kept the pressure on him waiting for him to give up. Then something happened that had never happened before. He did not give up, instead he got stronger. Then the fear hit me, my guts knotted up as I felt his brute power. I could not stop him. I thought he was going to break my pole or snap my line. I did the only thing I could do , I loosened the drag just a bit. The monster sensed what I did and used it to his advantage. Like a unstoppable train he headed into the fast currrent. I put my thumb on the spool to try to slow this mighty beast from below but it did not work he just kept on going and going. Then I did panic , it was in the current and my line was running out . I was on the verge of conceding defeat when I felt the train was slowing down. New hope rose as I gained on him, Slowly I got him closer and closer. My arms were getting tired and was happy the fight was almost over when he did a u turn and headed back out. Again there was no stopping the beady eyed beast . I hung on and hoped for the best. Next a horrible thing happened , smiley got under my feet and tripped me. I fell face first into the river ,the end of the pole hitting me in the mouth, larcerating my lip. Holding on to the pole with all my might , spitting blood ,I rose from the river. He was still on and I renewed my effort. Three or four times he made his get away while I held on like my life depended on it. Finally with shaking knees and arms a throbbing I saw the monster as I was finally able to beach him. I jumped right in the river and wrestled him to shore. I was breathing hard my had in his mouth holding him. He clamped down hard but I endured the vise like pain. I waited in agony for him to let go, when he did I stuck smileys leash down his throat and out his gil. I had him!!! He was mine!!! The big one did not get away!!
    Smiley really barked and barked at the flat head but he would not get too close. I think he was just happy the fish was on the leash instead of him. I had to use the leash as I normaly let them go and I don/t even carry a stringer. However since I wanted some pics, the only thing I had was smilys leash. It was about twenty feet long and made out of nylon so it worked out great.

I tied the fish to a tree and went to find some one to help me carry the fish as I could not do it myself as I have a bad back. I had to walk about 1/4 a mile out of the woods. I stumbled out of the woods a bloody mess bleeding from the mouth and my hand where the fish had bit me. I seen two big strong guys and asked them to help me. At first they thought I had been beat up but I explained what happened and they were glad to help.

There was about twenty people at the river and they all came to look at it. I felt great every one seing how big my fish was. I live at this camp ground about three miles from the river so I threw him into the trunk drove there real quick and put him in the lake. Since it was easter I had a barbacue to go to so I took a pic and showed it to every one , most of my family and friends drove out to the lake to look at him. Later that evening I let him back in the river he was alive and well , just a littled pissed off.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very good story thank for sharing and good luck catfishing.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a awesome story thank you for sharing your story with us and it sounds like that was one good ole catfish, there is nothing like catching that big one and having the memories that you can share with other people.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    That Is a GREAT story Patrick Thank You ever so much for sharing with Us. J.D.

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I remember when you caught that one Patrick.. I still haven't tried taking a boat to that spot yet.. But one of these days I will..

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Harold, I hope to catch a bigger one this year but I just have not been able to get out yet

7. kappandra

kappandra New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have that pic on my computer if you want it to post, Pat.

Will someone PLEASE take Pat and his boat to the river. I am too much of a nervous nelly to pull the boat. Last year, we were in a car accident and my truck was totalled from behind by some drunk, punk. Now I'm just really nervous driving, so towing something just isn't going to happen.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Harold ~Nancy-Boy~ has a big, fancy, beautiful, rainbow-colored, powerful, strawberry scented new truck that is just beggin' to pull something :wink::smile2::smile2:

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Patrick, we'll have to get together after next weekend and I can pull your boat to the river.. I've been wanting to go back up to Piasa Creek and try some of my old spots.. Hopefully the river will drop where we can start putting in again..

10. boots

boots New Member

State:
    illinois
    water was still in the lot at last check , :sad2:, got to love Il. catfishing:0a20:

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Tony!

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Hey Pat, I havent forgot about you. You have a reliable boat, I have a reliable truck the perfect combo..........LOL
    we'll get out there soon buddy

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Hey Ryan, thats one sweet medal you got there. Maybe we can get some more this weekend (reps to ya for getting into the hall of fame):wink:

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I didn't think I was ever gonna get one of those medals. I guess it was just my time. Hey that sure is a nice medal that you got as well. reps to you Willie-man. I am looking forward to getting out there this weekend with you and trying out the Missouri for the first time.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great job and Congrats on the Channel Cat Medals Guys. You have set the bar and maybe well take that Channel Cat fishing a little more serious now. I want one too :confused2::smile2::wink:

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well as it stands that little guy that got you into the classic will do nicely. That is if you can see the fish through the bait net.:wink::smile2:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    ROFLMAO

The "Golden Dink"

It was a Blue though Linus :embarassed:

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Are you sure? He was so little it was kind of hard to tell.:smile2: