My goldfish not growing!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by caneycat, May 6, 2008.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got my goldfish on March 11 and the 13 and I would say that 95 percent of them have not grown a bit! If they are not going to grow I will feed them the my baby blue cats and put mullet in there or am just being impatient, what might be wrong?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    It might take a bit longer. Where are you growing them? I have had goldfish in a little ornamental pond since last March. They have grown some, but nothing to get exciting about.

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you mean what am I growing them in it is a 211 gallon kids swimming pool.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we put a couple hundred goldfish in a stock tank and none of them grew over 6 inches. they did overpopulate the pond to where the water looked orange and white, but they didn't get any bigger than that. my advice would be to put bait in your tank at the size you would use it for fishing, be it bullheads, carp, or perch. i had 5 inch carp in the same setup you have there ( without the pump though) and after a summer and a winter in there they didn't grow at all, as far as i could tell. i also had chubs and fatheads in the pool, and they took it over, the chubs grew to 6 inches in a summer and a winter. hope this helps.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Yeah Dylan, mine are in a 1000 gallon ornamental pond. Their growth rate over the first year has been quite slow.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    My guess would be it would take awhile for the fish to aclimate themselves in the environment and the water and growing season hasn't come in to play yet. Make sure pH and ammonia is all good in the water would be my suggestion to look into.

7. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    My wife has around a 600 gallon pond outside. The gold fish do grow and the multiply fast. The growth rate is not very fast at all.We do have a couple that grew to 8-10 inches in a little over 5 years. I wouldn`t look for large growth till a couple years.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a 500 gallon pond. my past experiences in this field lets me say that they are not gonna get to 8" in 2 months. not sure what will. you want to get goldfish bigenough to use as bait you will need to get a tank and floating heater. a tank of at least 300-500 gal. and keep a floating heater in it in winter. and by next season you will have bait sized and thell breed. get a waterlilly and put it in a pot filled with clay and top with gravel. or use artificial plants. the babies need a place to hide. feed koi pellets. theyll grow fast on them.

and you need a good filter and airation system. more oxygen better health will be. i have a waterfall. that keeps them fine. and i fill my stream from the fall to the pond with water hyacinths. they make the best natural filter. far better than any man made one. and after a month or two i split them and toss in pond too. they float and the babies hide in roots.

other than that give up. there not gonna grow to bait size in one season.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    feed at least once a day all they will consume in 5 min. better to fed this way in morn and eve. but at least once a day.

and the more comfortable they are better youll get quick results. in a stock tank let the bacteria and alge grow on sides. this bacteria is benificial. and the more they feel like there in a natural state the better thell do. after all they are a carp.

now that i see your in south texas you may not need the heater. as long as there is a hole in the top of ice for air to circulate they will survive winters. you may never get freezes that long there i dont know. i keep a pupm shooting a boil of water out to keep a hole in ice in winters. and if it gets a dome on it i carefully melt it or chip a hole. dont hit with a hammer. like dropping a bomb on them with the shockwaves.

10. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been feeding them goldfish flakes two times a day, should I start feeding three times a day?

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Getting goldfish to grow to the 4 to 6 inch size will not take overnight. it will take at least six months. In a fishtank, they won't grow much, but a 200 gallon kiddy pool, it should work.

My suggestion is that since you live in constant warm weather in Texas, that you start rearing your goldfish in October or November and feed the crap out of them. Feed them protein pellets and by March, they should be PERFECT!