My God this is a big Gar!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 6, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Caught out of Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. Dunno but looks like a hell of a fight. I had no idea they got this big.

Attached Files:

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    How about a picture??

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    heh thought i had them sized right, but had width/height backwards. Should be fine now

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    dang,thats a huge fish!!!!!

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Was that caught on rod and reel?

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Would assume so, never been gar fishing but I think they snag for them?

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a GREAT Aligator Gar, until the last photo, I was hoping it had been released, now Im totally bummed, why on this great earth would you want to kill such a great speciman of this species we are quickly making extinct??Certainly the meat is not an issue as this 100 year old fish would not taste good and a quick couple of photos and a tape job would make this a perfect opportunity to get a replica mount done like the great sturgeons of the NW, you can fish for them but only tape and guestimate the weight as its against the law to remove them from the water. In our lifetime, that will happen with these big storytellers of history. Sorry to rant but there are only a handful of these full grown monsters left in the country so I hate to see them go.
    Good pics though, I have to appreciate the size of these fish! PS I dont think I d skinny dip in that lake:p

Salmonid

8. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's an alligator gar they can weigh 300-400 pounds. Catch them on like 5-10 pound bass...LOL.

9. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Don't have to snag em. They'll eat like any other predator. Been fishing were couldn't stay away from them. Can't even use em for bait.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    That fish weighed 244lbs. and was bowfished by Keith and Robin. It was taken in Texas. They have a new video coming out with that fish in it. Their company is Aim Low productions.

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I just got pics in an email from a friend. Yeah I wouldnt keep anything that big either, its a mean looking fish!!

Clarence, looks like you are right. You never know with anything you get in an email. At least pics are real though.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Clarence, the caption in the 3rd picture says that the fish weighed 327# - but 244# or whatnot, that's one giant fish! Do they ever try to munch on people when they get that big?

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Yes, I was wondering if they had released it until I saw the last picture. I've never been bow fishing so I don't know for sure but I imagine that there is no point releasing a fish that has been shot with an arrow. That would mean that those guys intended killing whatever they took a shot at. To me that's not fishing of any kind but hunting. Having said that, to me hunting is killing an animal for a purpose such as for food or if an animal has become a problem, otherwise it's just wanton killing. I have no problem with hunting but I can't deal with wanton killing. J.M.H.O.
    ...W

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Mark. I would lvoe to go after these w/ a rod & reel somtime.

15. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Clearly in the first photo you can see they have 2 bows. I have ate gar before and it dont taste that bad, but like every other animal, or fish, the older they get tougher they are to eat.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Mark and Metal man...Bowfisherman are not going to hurt the carp population, but why target a species such as the aligator gar...Very sad to see such a trophy fish go to waste.

17. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they are gonna try to eat it. Nah, we aint' gone give em that. In last month's In-Fisherman magazine, Doug Stange had an article on these monsters. He went with a guide somewhere in Texas I believe and caught several of them. He used a huge treble hook and a float to hook them.

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    that is one huge fish I would like to catck on on rod and reel also

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    They got several fish that big and talking to Robin one was 244 lbs. and one was smaller and they got another one at 327 lbs. Your right. They don't go after people they eat smaller fish. Bowfisherman do eat lot of the gar they get. Also for some of you that don't like having fish killed or shot or anything else done to them have never bowfished before. Just sit back and judge people on what they do, also I know quite a few people that bowfish and jump on the web sites to bash it...I love it! But to each his own. If anyone wants to go out and bowfish with me, just let me know.