My German Hunting Terrier

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Ace, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I bought and 8 month old German Hunting Terrier 3 years ago.
    These dogs are better known as Jagdterrier.
    His name is Ready. He is one of the best hunting dogs I have owned.
    Ready loves to hunt any kind of game you want to go after.
    They are good varment dogs also and they will guard your home and premises. Back in the summer of 2005 Ready was in his kennel and he was barking at some thing.My wife ask me to check and see what he was after.So I got the flashlight and went to see what was up.When I shined the light I saw a large snake striking at him.I told Ready to get him and he did.It turned out to be a two foot long Copperhead. Ready made short work of the snake.I got the snake and brought it to my front porch and took some pictures.The next day Readys neck was swollen.After a couple of days he was all right.I have found all kind of varments in his lot he has killed that was after his food.I do not know if any one on the BOC owns a Jagdterrier or even heard of them.I have some info I got of the Internet about the German Hunting Terrier I want to share.I have pics of Ready and the snake I can share with yall.

Internet info

German Jagdterriers
    The German Jagdterrier (pronounced "Yack-terrier") was developed over eighty years ago in Germany by crossing the original Old English Fox Terrier and Black and Tan Hunting Terrier. These crossings, with years of selective, intensive, breeding, have produced the modern German Jagdterrier, a dog bred and used exclusively for hunting.
    Appearance
    The German Jagdterrier is a comparatively small dog and thus ideal as a companion in the home or traveling in the automobile as well as hunting in the field. When fully grown, Jagdterriers have ideal working weights of from 18 to 20 pounds for the male and from 15 to 17 pounds for the female. The shoulder height should not exceed 16 inches (40.5 cm).
    The Jagdterrier is usually black with tan markings. The body color is black, the tan is lustrous and well defined on feet, at breeching, on the side of the cheek, above the eyes, and on the inside of the ears, as in the Doberman. Other acceptable colors are variations of liver, tan, brown, red, or mouse grey. The standard also permits white on the toes and chest.
    The coat as described in the standard is of the ordinary dense wire-haired type, on the thick tuft. It is not too short nor is it too smooth. This type of coast give the Jagdterrier need protection when hunting game in ground holes or in bush or thorn.
    The Jagdterrier has the overall appearance of the terrier, being strongly of this type of dog in conformation. But the Jagdterrier is quite different from other terriers, in that it does not have the straight leg nor the high, straight tail carriage of the other breeds. Germans often compare the appearance of the Jagdterrier to that of the German Drathaar of Poodle Pointer. It has the same trim lines of these larger hunting dogs. The Jagdterrier can be looked upon as a revival of the old original terrier-whose lines were smooth, flowing and rugged. The standard emphasizes graceful lines, like those of the larger hunting breeds.

Typical Jagdterrier

Temperament
    Though the Jagdterrier is mainly a hunting dog, many have found him to be a real pal in the home. His size permits keeping him in the city, which is of course a necessity to some. He is a very active dog however, and therefore needs a good deal of exercise. This can be of benefit to the owner as well, in that it encourages him, with his Jagdterrier, to enjoy the healthfulness and recreational activities of the great outdoors in all seasons.
    The hardy Jagdterrier mistruts strangers, and he is the first to warn of the approach of such. If the need should arise he is the first to protect his family, risking his life if necessary. As spanky as he is in the field though, he is a devoted house pet-a protective and loving pet for the child as well as family. He is eager and quick to please, and obedient when he is made to understand. He is quick-witted, and adapts readily to new conditions.
    Because of his fearless attacks, speed of action and keen nose, he is very successful in hunting black bear, grizzly, cougar, bobcat, lynx, fox and raccoon. A dog employed in hunting these animals must be able to withstand long and tough fighting; this kind of stamina has been bred into the Jagdterrier. Such prey often sends larger dogs retreating in fear, but the small fast Jagdterrier can out maneuver, for instance, even bears at close range and at all angles. Treeing bear, cougar, lynx, or bobcat when hunting with a pack-two dogs and up- does not present the hunter with the problems one often encounters with big hounds. The keen nose and eagerness to hunt make dogs of the breed, even with little training, good bloodhounds. Many are able, after some experience, to work out 48 hour-old blood trails.
    If the Jagdterriers is used to flush small game, some training is needed so that the dog doesn't hunt too far. This is especially true when he is used to tree bear, cougar, etc. However once he knows how to hunt under the gun, one can be positive no game will lef5t in a stand-no matter how thick or thorny it may be.
    In Europe the Jagdterrier is used also as a retriever. He does not retrieve by instinct or breeding though, as for instance do many Labs or Shorthaired Pointers. But again, with some lessons on the subject, the Jagdterrier will fetch game up to mallard size from land or from water.
    Summary
    To purchase a Jagdterrier just to be enjoyed as a pet would be to defeat his true purpose, as he must have an outlet for his energies and abilities. He is not only bred to hunt; he loves to hunt, and if used only as a pet his true natural way is thwarted.
    Through the conscientious efforts of breeders in this county, we shall be able to maintain the German Jagdterrier as the proud superb animal already so distinguished in hunting circles of Europe.

Ace :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ace, that sounds like a great dog to have. The Germans have done fine things with their breeding, from the guard dogs to the hunting breeds.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Ace, I just got 2 terriers as well. They're half Patterdale terrier and half jack russell. They're only 10 weeks old, but man are they fiesty!!! I coon hunt a lot and I've always got coons getting into holes and brushpiles and such, where my coondogs can't get to 'em. Well, I thought I'd enter something new into the equation. These 2 little pups are half demon I think. They'll bow up at anything. They've already tried to bite somebody, and they're only little tikes. I can't wait to see what they'll do with a coon in a hole. I guess when they're physically capable of following me in the woods, I'll start takin' them hunting with me.

P.S. when I got these 2, I was really wanting a jagdterrier.

Jerrod

4. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hi Jerrod : I read your reply to my post. I also have 3 Jack Russell Terrier`s.
    I have the smooth coat . I have a male jack 8 1/2 years old and 2 female's.One 9 1/2 years old another 6 years.These dog are fearless they would tackle a bear.I have heard people say a coon can whip a Jack Russell but I have a video of my dogs on a coon they would have killed it had my son and I not have pulled them off . My jacks will also tree their on coon.I also have a video of them working a treed coon they treed on their own.The German Hunting Terrier is the only terrier that will open on a trail.Ready will tree a coon also.
    You can`t let these dog run free all the time because they will go hunting on their on.They will go to ground and if you can't hear them,you can't dig them out.You can not call these dog off a hole.I am uploading some pic`s of my terrier`s .One is of Sugar babe after she went to ground but I found her.

:cat:

Attached Files:

5. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here is the rest of my terrier`s

Attached Files:

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Ace, love your dogs Sir.... I've got one Ratterrier male 6yr. old and one female half rat have winnie dog 2yrs. old. These lil dogs are just like your dogs. They tree opossums and will hide behind trees to pounch on the tree rats that visit the bird feeder. It's fun to watch these two in action. They work as a team. Very smart dogs for sure. I've seen the female squat down like a lion and stalk the birds and even catch them sometimes. Not to metion they are very loving and will not stand for anyone they do not know to come near their yard (front or back).....

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Ace, those are terrific lookin' dogs. I know what you mean about smart. These 2 already have run of the house. They've figured out all sorts of neat stuff, from getting onto the couch to potty training. I've had them a week, and one of the pups is already potty trained, and the other is close. If we can get them to stay on one type of feed that they'll both eat, then they'll both be trained. I've had to switch their feed several times and I think I've finally found something that both pups like that will be good for 'em. But, with switching feeds around, one of them has had the squirts and can't always make it outside.

Everybody around loves these dogs. I've had them a week, and already had 4 offers to buy a pup. I just can't part with either of them at this point. I think they're gonna be gooduns. Their daddy is supposed to be a bad bad little dude. He's full blood patterdale. The guy I got the pups from told me that the daddy has killed countless skunks and possums, 3 porcupines, a beagle, and even snuck up and killed a redtailed hawk. He told me that he can quite literally sick his patterdale male on anything. One of the pups looks a lot like the daddy, and he looks to have the attitude to go with it.

Take care.

jerrod

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Want be long before the snakes are crawling again had a couple close calls in 2006.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Ace, I got rattlesnake vaccines for all of my dogs. The vaccines are $17 each, but that's a darn bargain compared to treating a snake-bit dog or replacing a dog. I've heard it works against a few other venomous snakes as well. It doesn't work against all snakes, but it does work on a few. I thought it was a good idea, especially with dogs like ours.

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice looking dogs Ace.Thanks for sharing.

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Good looking dogs ace, esp like that jagterrier, He looks solid as a rock.

12. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just got an 8 month old female Jagdterrier yesterday and she's hell on wheels. I've had Rat Terriers, Jack Russells, and Docs before but this girl seems to be a little more serious. I'm lookig forward to seeing what she will do in the woods. We've been out the last two days but we're still feeling each other out.