My Garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by scout, May 18, 2009.

1. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello all. I hope everyone is having a successful garden season this year. I have had pretty good luck so far this year, I hope it last lol. I planted some Tamatos, corn, bellpeppers, butterbeans and cucumbers. Here are a few pics of my garden.

Attached Files:

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Oh my gosh; now THAT's a great looking garden! I can't believe how big everything is already; those cucumbers are gorgeous! I love the way you have it all fenced off so nice & neat.
    Is that mulch around them?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randall thanks for sharing the garden pics. Your making me jealous. Nice looking garden. Well planned. WTG.

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Very nice, I know you will enjoy a bunch of good food from that lovely garden!

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good looking garden. You are weeks ahead of most of us. Good Job.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Looks GREAT Randall! :cool2:

I was gonna say, "GOSH, y'all get an early start in LA, don't ya?" :smile2:

But Roxie lives in LA and even SHE thinks your plants are large! You must have some serious green thumbs buddy.

Thanks for the pictures!

7. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks everyone. We do get a early start down here. The garden is really doing great and that makes me worry lol. I get all my seeds from Gurney's seed catalog and purchase the tomatos and peppers locally. I have always had good luck with Gurney's seeds. If we do not get any rain I water with Miracle Grow about every 5 days. That is the only fertilizer I use and I use it everytime I water.

Yes Roxie that is leaves from my live oak trees. It cuts down on the grass and really breaks down well when the garden is finish. I then till it in. That fence is some hog panels that I got from Tractor Supply. It really works great and is easy to use. Now my dog can only look from the outside lol. He seems to have a love for cucumbers lol.

I am also picking some very nice Blackberries right now. I think this is a great year for them. I will take a pic of some of them and post them later.

Thanks again for the kind words and the best of luck to all of you with y'all gardens.:006:

8. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just wanted to show some updated pics of my garden I took today. So far I am only picking cucumbers. I should start picking my tomatos soon. I hope everyone is having a great gardening season.

Attached Files:

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's so pretty,Randall. I just noticed the gourd martin houses; I love them!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WOW,Mine looks sick compared to that :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks everyone. Hey Roxie, I did not even notice that I had got the Purple Martin gourds in the pic. I love Purple Martins and have been doing it since I was a kid. The pic caught one of the rare times that the Martins were not on the gourds. This was the first year that I had full capacity with babies in all the gourds. I had a record (for me) 60 babies this year. All but about 20 or so have grown and flown. Once the start flying they stay a little while and then they are gone. Everyday I have less and less hanging around. It is sad to see them go. They are so tame and they stay on there perches and watch me work in my garden. They start to gather in large groups in the late Summer along the coast to get ready to cross the Gulf to go to South America. They come back here about Febuary. It was a great year and I don not think I lost any babies that I know of.

Hey Richard, you guys get any Purple Martins out your way?

I hope everyone has a great day. Later, Randall.:006:

12. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to add these pics of a few Purple Martins on the gourd rack.

Attached Files:

13. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow that is a really great looking garden!! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

14. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Tricia, hows your garden coming along?:006:

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, I love the pictures of the gourds! Do you have problems with Starlings trying to get in them, or are they made especially for Martins?

16. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello Roxie. Usually at the begining of the season I do have problems with Starlings and sometimes sparrows. The Starlings are real bad and will kill the Martins. The gourds have the Starling resistant cresent openings, but some will get in. When a pair of Starlings pick a gourd and begin making a nest I lower the gourd rack and place a trap especially made for the gourds and catch the Starlings in no time. Once the Martins have established themselves they will chase most of the Starlings away.

As a Purple Martin landlord, the Starling is my worst enemy lol. After you find a few dead Martins in your gourds you will know what damage they can do. You will know if it was a Starling that killed them because they will pick out the Martin's eyes. When there is nobody around I use my pellet gun to kill them, it gives me great satisfaction lol. If the Starlings are not controlled the Martins will leave.

I was pretty lucky this year. I only had to trap 2 Starlings at the begining of the season. This is the first year that I had all 14 gourds with Purple Martin babies in them.

Talk to you later, Randall.:006:

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mines doing pretty good. My sweet corn is coming up nicely.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well you sure are getting me all excited. Tomatoes! lol I have a long wait for those. Let us know how they taste. I would like to see a pic of you with juice running down the sides of your mouth while taking a big ol bite! lol
    The butter beans sound very good too. I have never grown them. Do you dry them? :big_smile:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    WOW.....thats an impressive looking garden!:cool2:

20. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys. Jack I do not dry the butter beans. I usually only plant enough to pick and eat as needed. They usually go pretty fast lol.

I just got through eating a fresh cucumber for lunch that I picked yesterday and it sure was good.

It looks like I will be able to start picking some of my cherry tomatos today.:big_smile:

Have a great day, Randall.:006: