my friend blew his outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ncfowler, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I dropped by my duck hunting buddies place yesterday to see how he did, he looked at me with a rather pissed off look on his face, he said his water pump stopped working and siezed up his moter, is there any hope for him to get the thing running again or is it toast, I told him to oil up the pistons and try to free them up, if there is no scoring it may be fine till he gets a new motor. he said there was water spitting out when he started it up and and about half way to his spot it quit, around a 10 min run, also it was around 5 degrees out, not knowing the motor a this point it is hard for me to figure out if it has a chance for repair.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    For no more than a head gasket costs it would be worth his time to pull the head off of it and see what the cylinders look like. He could get lucky and bring it back to life. That way if he does take it to a shop he'll at least know what damage there was on the top end of the motor.

3. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    tell your friend to check the conpression on each cylinder,and that will tell him everthing he needs to know .the readings shouldbe close to the same on each cylinder,not to exceed a 10% varience between any .80 lbs of compression is about the minimum you want.larry d. grady

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Can't run a compression check if she's seized:wink:

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    what motor and size was it?
    most likly what has happened is when cool water is not being sent to the heads and cylinders the piston becomes larger in diamiter and starts to rub against the cyl wall the piston is alumanum and the walls are steel the piston starts to transfer itself to the steel wall "skuffing" thus taking up the .007" - .017" piston to wall clearence.causing it to seez up. "sometimes" after a long cool down the motor will loosen up,"the piston shrinks" and will turn over and even run untill the piston warms up = grows and becomes too tight for the cyl .whitch already has alumanun skuffing already in it:sad2:
    Jeremy

6. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Are ya sure its locked up ? If it got hot some motors have a heat sensore that will shut it down just an idea