my fishing trip with S_man,

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by late nighter, May 14, 2008.

1. late nighter

late nighter New Member

State:
    ohio
    We went to dillion to catch some bait to start off with, That went well caught lots of bait. Launched the boat at the 146 ramp, Took off for the backwaters to meet up with jason454. That did not work out so well, Ran into sandbar after sandbar..... As S_man was trying to get us out of the mudd he all of a sudden had a broken oar,lol:crazy: I dont know how it happend, He was pushing the boat fine for 50 yards or more then he snapped the oar in half. If you dont believe me go to the backwaters and see for yourself. There is half an oar sticking out of 1 foot of water lmao.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Y'all should never enter the land of jetters!

We've watched a lot of real smart people try to get unstuck from back there lol!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc. this site is full of good info and great people. Better luck next time.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Glad to hear y'all made it off the sandbar. Next time we try and meet up we will make it in deeper water. :smile2:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    glad you made it out fine. Aaron this isn't the s mans first episode so i hear.:smile2: ask him about swamping the boat at ellis before he even owned it:smile2::wink: he told a funny story to me about that one!.....rollo

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    LOL... That's a good story!

7. late nighter

late nighter New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya s_man has told me that story when we first got to gether.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wish skip would write a thread on that story. the funniest part was the explaining the gut wrenching feeling he had when he was driving back home with the truck and trailer and no boat! :smile2: he didn't even want to call the guy to tell him what happened, so his first words were to him when he did call, " hey man, do you want to sell your boat"? LMAO!!!:smile2::smile2: rollo

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I havent heard about that!!! Did he sink the dudes boat?

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OH YEAH! That was only half the story though, he had some other issues in high rising water below a dam before that including..MOTOR....TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY.... ONE OAR!!:smile2: the sinking was only the grand finalle! I will let ole skip a roo tell the rest! Trust me, this one is a goodun! :wink: rollo

11. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Holly catfish poo, come on S-man. I aint been on here in a while and need something to get me back in the swing of things. Can't think of anything better than a funny story.:smile2:

12. late nighter

late nighter New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes he sunk the dudes boat

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This story is true to the best of my memory. I shall not embellish, there is just no need.

It was a summer night in 97 or 98. I would routinely borrow my buddy's boat if he couldn't go. I got on the water about 7pm. Set up and started fishing. Right after dark a Thunder storm rolled in. Since I was over an hour from home, I decided to wait it out. It was frightful out there with lightning hitting all around, rain and driving winds. I had to use a can every 30 minutes or so to bail out the boat. The rain didn't let up til after 4 in the morning. I stayed till 7:30 or so and decided to leave.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Well my buddy had this 1970's sears motor on this boat that hardly ever ran. So I always just used the 100lb thrust trolling motor to get around. Well with all that rain the river came up a few feet overnight, and the current was just fast enough that with the trolling motor on high I could hover in the water but could not make enough power to move upstream. I moved from bank to bank looking for slacker water, no luck. So I anchor in the middle and try to start the motor. I would pull on the cord for 15 to 20 minutes and it would sputter to life for about 20 seconds and die. Once I even got it to run for almost a full minute. Just enough time to pull the anchor and move upstream about 20yds. Then it died and I lost 10 yards trying to get the anchor back out and holding.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I pulled on that motor till I had busted blisters on two fingers. Now they were raw and stinging. So far this took me about 2 hours. And I made it about 50 yards from where I had been anchored the night before. So its about 9:30. I decided to put the trolling motor on high and lock it tight, and try to use the oar to gain some headway. Have I mentioned that I was unable to get any rest or sleep durring the T-storm. So I'm bushed, and getting madder by the minute. So I take to strokes on one side of the boat then shift to the other side and take a couple. I tried this for like a half an hour, and could discern no upstream movement at all. Out goes the anchor again. Then I crank on the big motor for anoyher 30 minutes, It won't run for more than 4 or 5 seconds at a time. Just enough to make me think that if I keep cranking it will start. Fn thing lol.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'm sorta out of options now so I troll over to the bank and hop out and start pulling the boat upstream by the bow line walking in knee high water. Well this was working great for about 120 yards. Then I came to a small tree that had fallen into the water durring the night. There was only about ten ft of it hanging in the water, but I couldn't get under it, and the water was 5 or 6ft deep at the tip so I couldn't wade out any further in that fast water. Its getting close to 11 now and I have been trying to make a 5 minute trip for more than 3 hours. All I could do was get back in and put the trolling motor on high again and start paddling for all I was worth. It took me over 30 minutes to get around that tree and back to the bank so I could continue pulling the boat the last 150 yards to the ramp.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I made it to the Ellis ramp around noon. This was a 5 hour ordeal people. I've had no sleep for over 30 hours, used every ounce of energy I had. I get the boat on the trailer and pull up the ramp. Damn, the bottom ridge isn't in the rollers, which means I can't fasten the back-strap for the trip back to columbus. I try to lift the boat and scoot it the 2 inches to the side so it will be lined up. Too heavy, too outta energy. So i figure if I drain the 6 inches of water out I might be able to lift it then. So I pull the plug and let it drain for 10 minutes. Its still so waterlogged I can't budge it over. This is when I get the idea to just back it down the ramp just enough to float it and then pull back up. So I back down the ramp and just as soon as it should be floating I see water rushing over the transom, just as it dawned on me what I just did, the whole back end is full of water and the heavy current rips the boat off the trailer.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The bow is still connected to the winch, but the boat is full of water and resting on the ramp. I go into freaked out mode cause the trailer is starting to tilt up from the current pulling on the boat. But I can't get the winch to release cause the boat has the handel pinned. I must have wrestled with that bow and handel for 20 minutes before I got enough slack to get the hook off the bow eye. Then the boat promptly slams the rest of the way off the trailer and is now firmly planted on the ramp with about 3 ft of the bow out of the water. This is when everything in the boat that floats can no escape over the sides and commence its journey down river. Life jackets, gas can, assorted items. So once again I'm wading out in swift current trying to get everything back, cause none of it is mine lol.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't know what else to do so I wade into the boat and take off the motor and trolling motor and put them in the truck. Then I get both batteries, and anything that someone might want to carry off. Now folks, I thought the boat was a goner. I didn't think it could be used again. I had no Idea what kind of damage it had sustained. It was 1pm before I left Ellis that day to head back to columbus and tell my friend that I sunk his boat. That was a long ride, I was trying to think of a way to tell him, It just sucked.

Well I get home alittle after 2pm and come in and fall almost dead onto the couch. This is when my wife looks out the window and sees my truck pulling an empty trailer. She looks at me and asks " Did you already drop the boat off at Steve's ? " No Honey I said, the boat and trailer have to stay together. Well, where is the boat then she asks. I sunk it in the river. NO WAAY! Yes. have you told Steve? No. You all can imagine this conversation lol.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    To make this long story end. I called Steve, he came right over and drove us back down to Ellis. Once there I called AAA to send out a wrecker. When the lady on the phone asked me what kind of car they would be towing and I told her it was a sunken boat I thought she would die laughing in my ear. The driver gets there and hands me a 3inc wide strap and tells me he don't go into whitewater. So I walk up to my hips down the ramp and place the strap around the transom, he hooks the winch to it and slowly slides the boat up the ramp till the drain hole is out of the water. It takes a good 40 minutes for the boat to drain enough so that Steve and I can lift it up and set it on the trailer. Thank god it was a fiberglass boat and not aluminum. After it dried out for a couple weeks, it was good as new. I was still allowed to borrow it for two more years, then I bought it from him. I have been using it for the last ten years now.
    P.S. Once I had the title in my hand I went out and bought a brand new motor for it so this would never happen again.