My fishing experiences of 2006

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by martinman, Sep 29, 2006.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    This may sound odd to some of you but as the cold weather has started to set in here in Flagstaff, I am most likely done fishing for the year. I have to report though, that this has been an excellent year of fishing.

At the start of the year, I set three goals for myself. I wanted to reach these goals because I wanted to have fun. That is exactly what I got. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to show all of the fun that I have had.

Goals:

1. Break my record of most fish caught in one trip.
    - I went fishing with a couple friends to Lake Powell fishing for Striped Bass. One of the trips in March, we took in a matter of 6 hours we (three of us) caught 119 stripers. We were dropping bait down about 80-100 feet and by the time we got the bait to that depth we would have a fish on.

2. Catch a flathead at Roosevelt.
    -I had always heard about the flatties at Roosevelt. Last year I surprised myself and caught the largest channel cat (19lbs) out of Roosevelt, but I never caught a flathead. During the same trip that Silenced Majority caught his flathead, I caught mine. It was nothing huge (like AZflats), but it was fun none the less.

3. Break my personal best record.
    -With all the different places to fish in Arizona/California, I have had many opportunities to break my record. I almost did, but to actually break it will have to wait until next year. I know that I will get the once in a lifetime chance to catch the monster....just as Riverbud55 (Dale) and AZflats (Andy) got a chance to do so.

One other thing that I must mention. Although I would consider myself a diehard catfisherman, I have caught more fish of all types this year than I have any other year. I caught my first largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, and tilapia this year. Some of it turned into bait, but it was fun none the less.

Brothers and sisters of the BOC, I have had a great time this year. Outside of getting a huge fish into the boat, I experienced a lot of things that I won't forget.

Thanks for sharing it with me!!

Ryan
    Martinman

P.S. Beware you elusive fat cat....I will get you...someday, I will get you good!!

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Martinman,
    The year an't over brother.. Now is the time of year that the big ones feed. You won't get as many bites, but the quality fish are there...

~ If you stay up north, don't forget about all the trout fisheries up there...

Take care!

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Congrats on your fishing year Ryan. I too had an awesome year although it was devoid of most memorable catches, except for perhaps my first real flathead thanks to you! I think I've still got some fishing left to do around here though...

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great year of fishing

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc , mathew

thanks for sharing your year with us ryan

the season aint over yet tho the best fishing is just getting started

7. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Man I agree with AZflats I look foward to this time of year.It seems funning to have to wear warm clothes for catfishing, but this is the best time of year for big cats.I live here in Ohio and will fish till ice over. Don't put your gear away yet.