My fish fry was ruined........

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Jul 27, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    By some monster flatheads! Went out to my girlfriend's brother's (Josh) place for the weekend and Saturday morning the women decided they wanted a fish fry Sunday afternoon. So Josh and I decided to run our 8 line limit each in Lyons Creek, which runs along his property. We have fished the crap out of this creek and most fish are 3-10lbs, he got one 22lb flat last year. In lieu of my 8th line, I opted for a three way jug rig I wanted to try that was held down by a 5 lbs bench weight and placed it at the farthest point down stream we fished on an open straight away. All of the other lines were set around this large snag. We baited up just before sundown and went to check them about 1:30am.

We went all of the way down stream, where the 3 way jug was, first. We can't find the jug. I finally spot it about 60 yards down stream infront of a little brush pile. We both looked at each other and knew it was big, it dragged a 5 lbs weight 60+ yards! We get down there and it isn't tangled up, :big_smile:. I pull it up and this fish starts going nuts! Nice flathead between 20-25 lbs. We said we weren't going to keep anything over 10lbs, but josh wanted a picture because he thought it might be the biggest fish he's pulled out of there. So we throw it on the stringer and head up stream. Keep in mind here, we have no boat, we're wading from knee to chest deep the whole time. We get to the snag and there are lines bouncing all over the place. Next fish was another 20+ flathead, and then another! Then we have one that's about 12 and another about 8-9. We get to head of the snag and there is one line left, it looks like a small one because the limb is barley moving. I reach down and start to pull it up and water just starts flying everywhere! We don't even try to pull it out of the water. I bear huge it below the water while Josh runs the stringer through it. We just cut the line because we didn't want to try and battle this beast in chest deep water.

So we tie up the stringer and run up to the house to get the scale and camera. It takes us about 15-20 minutes to do this. We get back and the stringer is open:crazy::crazy::crazy:!!!!! They busted the ring on the end! But all is not lost, there are two fish left on there, the 9 lb and the beast! We immediately throw the 9 lb'r back, no sense in cleaning one fish, and get to measuring the biggin'. We tried twice to hang it on the scale, it was one of the kind that grab the lip, but it keeps slipping off at 32-33lbs and still has plenty of weight left, I'd guess it was just shy of 40lbs. We did get a good length measurement on it, 41.5". Here's the pics.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/100_1374.jpg
    http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/100_1375.jpg
    http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/100_1376.jpg
    http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/kawriverkiller/100_1377.jpg

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh yea, that's a nice size flatty. Bet that was a day you'll never forget with all those fish!

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I was amazed by how many big fish came out of such a small area, it couldn't have been more than 25 yards from the first line to the jug.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's unreal...where's this place at? :wink::smile2:

5. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    We were about 3 miles West of hwy 77, south of Junction City. This creek runs South of the Smokey Hill, it goes through a lot of private farm property, fortunately we have access to it from his land. I would recommend trying to sneak down there with out permission, his neighbor pulls guns on trespassers all the time.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good way to have a fish fry ruined:smile2::smile2:

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice fish thanks for the story n pics.

8. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Awesome story.

9. tasteslikechicken

tasteslikechicken New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If the same type of stringer I had last weekend, 15ft with a brass ring and stake on the other end, they're not that strong. Mine broke probably the same way yours did. Now I'll just tie a loop in one end when I've got a lot of weight on it.

10. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Great story Garen!
    Cut the ring off and tie a loop!

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice day an great catch indeed congrats!

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would trade 3-4 big flatties cpr'd over a fish fry any day!!! Congrats to you guys on the catch Garren. Dont forget I still got yo bait bucket bro!:wink:

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on a heck of a flat.

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's what happens when people don't harvest fish.....the fish prosper.

15. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    That is awesome man. Congrats