My first year

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Dec 26, 2005.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    now that my first year of big cattin is nearly done i cant wait on a new year to begin. i pulled in a 9.6 pound channel, a 22 pound flathead and a blue cat that weighed close to 37. I started the year off in the stillwater fishing with chicken livers and large minnows. Then i gradually started fishing the GMR and lakes. But the key was when i joined OGF and met guys like Catfish Billy and H20 Mellon. Then they had me hooked. And now i even catch myself channel cattin in the middle of winter. But its been a great year and i hope to break my personal best's from this year and become the best fisherman i can be.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Nate, Are you hook on cat fishing yet? :D seems as if you had a good year. :D I hope to get my big one this year. :D

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    oh im definately hooked im headin out to the Ohio river wednesday morning

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    heres the pics of my personal bests:

Attached Files:

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nate,

Jack will be "There" at daybreak.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am counting on nate to show me where to fish once I get there, I just need a few skips.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah i will see you there jack. i will split with you the same way i did with bryan hopefully we get into a bunch of them.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Good Luck Boys, don't catch'm all, LOL!!!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nate Brayn said you did not catch any, how did you split them???? :D

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I missed 5 X as many as I caught, I think we all did. They dance on the top, then it's over/ :sad:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack have a large bony mouth; it's easy for the hook to tear a hole during the fight. When that happens and the fish jumps and shakes its head, the jig will often fly out. Losing one out of every four or five you hook is normal, at least for me and the people I skipjack fish with; losing five out of six means that something needs to be changed. When you're using any kind of rig involving a weighted hook, you need to keep pressure on the hook during the fish's jump; otherwise, the lure, jig, or whatever gets enough momentum to fly loose. The best way to do this is to pull hard on the rod whenever you see that the fish is about to jump, or is in the process of jumping. Hooks with no appreciable added weight are not as prone to coming loose during a fish's jump. Just put your weight on the end of your line/leader and put a couple or three plain old "J" hooks on droppers above that. Then you can put a tube or curlytail on the hook. The problem here is that you still have the sinker on the end of the line; it may be less likely to pull out the hook, but it can certainly still do so. As far as I can see, braided line is just as effective as mono. Until last year, I always used mono for catching skippies; then I respooled with 20# Remington Core-Lockd braided line. It seems to cast better than the mono, I feel the fight better, don't have to worry about hooking a couple of big ones that break the line, and catch just as many fish. I do use a mono leader about 3' long, of course.

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Jack and I didnt have a bad day. the bite was slow but heres what we ended with.

Attached Files:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio