My first year and two so far

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Dec 19, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok, its my first year hunting the whitetail. after spending last winter learning to mount deer, (taxidermy) and watching countless hunting vidieos, going to the deer and turkey classic and learning from a seminar and video how to clean an entire deer with a fillet knife. i took to the woods this season.

it all started with the purchase of a cva .45 cal muzzle loader for $49.00 on clearence at wal mart at last seasons end. i sent off for illinois firearm and muzzleloader tags.

this opening season i decided to also get archery and bow hunt too. i have ate deer for years from my grandfather hunting and my family giving me extra meat. most don't like it (cuz they dont know how to prepare it and think it cant be eaten rare) i love it. so i took to the woods with my grand fathers old bear whitetail two bow. seen nothing after several times out and was getting discouraged.

opening day of firearm i set out with the fuzzy muzzie. at only one hour after day break i heard shots ring out just up the fence row from a blind i had seen a few days earlier. i have a stand set up just behing the towns sewer mound where my grand father told me to hunt. he works as the towns maintence man. there are numerous tracks and rubs in the thicket. and at just before 7 am after the shots here came two deer bounding down the fence row coming toward me. they stopped just about 60 yards from my stand and crossed the fence and ran right at me. there is a run right below my stand. they stopped in the field just 30 yards for me. i drew up my 12 guage rem 1100 loaded with slugs. aimed at the doe in the lead. she was the largest. i hesatated and she went behingd some trees and i took aim at the smaller. i didn't take the shot. it to bounded off.:eek:oooh:

my heart was pounding. cool. ive seen deer already. then one of them got to the creek in this timber and came back along it on the other side if me. i hung up the shot gun and grabbed the muzzleloader from the other side of the tree. i raised it up to get a better view of the deer through the scope. as i did it came from behind a tree and i was just a inch or two from the cross hairs being on it. i quickly centered them up and let out a bahhh. it stopped and i squeezed. kabboom!!!!!!!! and when the smoke cleared it was lying right where i had took the shot. 7:05 am.after i butchered the deer (witch turned out a button buck) i had hit it a bit above the lungs catching the base of the spine witch the sabot busted clean in two.

and then again on the final day of muzzleoader in the final hour at a different stand that is 20 yards in the timber ajacent a field with cows. i was getting the skunked feeling. at 3:45 pm i turned to the field that was on the back of me and there stood a doe that had snuck up without a sound. it was facing the timber 45yards up from me. and began to come into the timber. as it went behind a tree i clicked off the safety carefully. drew up the gun and got it pointed at her area. she slowly and carefully took a step or two and scanned the trees. a few more steps and scanned again. i had my cross hairs on her good. she came into an area where my line of sight was clear. she stopped and i was resting against a tree. i hit the trigger and she bounded off. i quickly relaoded.

i climed from the tree a couple min later and went to see if i had hit her. there was blood sprayed at the area she was standing in. i followed a very thick blood trail where i found her on the other side of a small branch expired from a perfect double lung shot.

i am 100% so far and after a week or two to let em calm from the shots im going out now to rty the bow again. wish me luck.

the first day pic is the morning buck and the second is the eve doe.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congratulations to you. Looks like your hooked for sure. That will be some fine eatin!!

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Did ya get the PM on where to send the extra Deer Sausage and Jerkey?? LOL

Congrats bro.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya, im making 30 #"S of summer sausage as soon as my kit comes. with jal/ and cheese. :tounge_out:

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Congratulations on the deer, it is good to here that you had a great time out in the woods.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    congrats, since our youth season when i shot a doe, which this is the first year its in and unfortunately the last time i can hunt it, i havent had a good shot on anything. 2 shots, one doe, 45 yards and running through brush. the other 60 yards and through a fork in a tree. both hard shots and the second one was extremely hard with iron sights.

7. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    good first couple of deer

8. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on your first 2 Deer.Thx for posting.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Way to go Jerm. Hadnt seen you post in awhile, wondered what you was up too. Come see us sometime...... Mac

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on a successful season. Heres hoping you get a couple more.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Good luck filling those archery tags!:smile2:

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats, & way to go! Looks like we've got another certified hunter among us! And, by the way, that was a real nice looking doe! Keep at it!

13. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good looking deer keep up the good work thanks for sharing

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks everyone. it was exciting. still nothing with the bow. i bought a golden eagle falcon flame. much newer than the bear. got it for $25 and 3 muzzie broadheads. not bad at all. got her sighted in and did see a big old 10 or 12 point deer last week. it was out in the field on my way out of the timber justa at dusk. been hunting him hard since. seen some of his big tracks but havent seen him. my uncle saw him the following eve, and saw him a bit closer then i did. he confirmed it was BIG> hope to meet him up close and personal.:smile2:

hey mac, nice to hear from ya. i don't get to get online as much due to a bumb pc. im still here though.:tounge_out:

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations on a fine addiciton! :big_smile:

Great kills there. Good work. You are off to a GREAT start!

My January-September is spent chasing trophy cats, but when October rolls around I can not get passed the whitetail addiction.