My First Walleye Trip Was A Great Success!!!!

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by channelcat_tracker, Jun 6, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went walleye fishing yesterday with Mark Mussman and my brother. well, Mark here is a "Professional Walleye Angler," and we hit the water yesterday around 8 a.m. We found a spot on a wingdam in the mississppi river and we decided to hit that. We had no bites on that specific wingdam. The lures that we were using were 1 ounce jigheads painted orange and yellow with a leech tied on the hook.

When we hit the second wingdam where two boats were, we knew it was a good spot so we gave it a try. About 13 minutes into the jigging, I had a bite and set the hook. I landed my first walleye of the day and it measured 14 3/4 inches, about 1/4 less for keeping. i could not keep the walleye so i threw it back. Another 5 minutes and Mark landed a "Sheep of the Deep" or a sheephead. We saw that their was not enough room for 3 boats on that wingdam so we gave up and headed south on the river.

We hit another wingdam that was a "secret hole" because all fisherman thought that place was a horrible place for fish. About 6 minutes into another round of jigging, and I hooked my second walleye and it measured in at 14 1/2 inches. (The scale for walleyes is 15 inches to 19 3/4 inches and one over 27 inches and nothing between 20 and 27) Well the bite started to pick up in a few minutes with Mark catching 4 in a half hour and me catching 3. The score was tied up with Mark and I and Curtis with 0. Curt finally reeled one in and it measured 18 inches. He also caught a nice striper. We hauled out some over 20 inches and some under 15 inches. We caught a total of 13 fish in that one wingdam.

Well we tried another wingdam about 2 miles down the river. Well we hit that hard and I hooked another walleye and that was the only one we caught at that small wingdam. The story behind that is is that we decided to leave to go to another spot and I said that I will keep fishing while they get everything set and soon enough a 19 inch walleye hit and i reeled it in and it fell off the hook as I was reaching out to grab it! grrrrrrrrr:sad2:

We rode down to where we thought more walleyes were and we casted out along the rocks and we pulled out a nice largemouth but he wasnt 15 inches so we had to throw him back. I then hooked what I thought was a snag because it wasnt going anywhere but it was sure coming up. I saw that it was a GIANT walleye and it measured a good 20 3/4 inch. Too big for the eating table! But that sucker sure did put up a grand fight!

We then fished a back water tributary to the Missippi River. Curt dropped his jig and he then hooked a nice walleye that measured a good 17 inches. We threw him in the livewell with the other walleyes and striper! We had caught a total of 30 walleyes with 1 striper and 2 sheeps of the deep. I dropped my jig in the water and started to bounce it on the bottom. The way I jigged was very very slowly and let it go off the bottom and then hit the bottom. That must have entenced a walleye out of its hiding place because he hit HARD! I reeled in another 20 1/2 walleye and boy was I happy. The time was around 230 and I had another hour and a half of fishing! YAY!:tounge_out:

We hit the last wingdam of the day and we dropped the trolly motor in the water and started winding around the rocks. Soon enough a small walleye hit on Marks hook and he got him off with no trouble. Well all three of us were fishing on the same side and Mark hooked a walleye, about 7 seconds later I hooked one and then another several seconds and Curt had one on. Curt lost his because Mark was using the net and I landed mine. Curts walleye was estimated to have been 22 inches long! Well we ended up with 38 walleye total and kept 16. We could keep 18 but we kept 16 because we kept releasing big and small ones and threw some eaters back into the water.

I hope you enjoyed my story yesterday on monday 6-5-06. I do have pictures on my digital camera and hope i can get it hooked up to the computer to get some pictures of the fish and me on there. This was my first "guided" walleye trip and I thought it was very very FUN!!!! well i hope plenty of you guys read my fascinating story!

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Great to hear! I just got back from a 3 day trip to Lake Erie. On friday we left at 4 in the morning (about a 5 hour drive) and we got there about 9:30. As we were launching our boat a charter came in (we are friends with the guide) at they had 10 people in the boat, plus the charter and they had limited out by 10 am. (that's a total of 66 fish). Well this made us extremely excited so we rushed out. Well the bite slowed down a bit by the time we made it to where they were schooled up (about 13 miles from where we launched) and we fished hard and caught our 30 fish limit by around 3:00. Our smallest was just a shade over 15 (the legal size and our biggest was 25 3/4 (we had several over 24)

Well we get up early saturday full of expectations and the walleye had just decided not to bite. We fished real hard all day and managed 19 'eyes. We caught some size though with one going 30 1/4 and weighing 8 and a half pounds. We had several more over 5 pounds. So we went out today and they weren't coorperating at all. We fished for 6 hours and managed to wrangle in 5 fish. none of them were over 22 inches.

Long story short... Glad you had a good time! Walleye fishing is my favorite besides cats. Glad you enjoyed it and keep it up, those 7-10 pounders are a good time!!!

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Oh yeah, as for rigs we used several things. Most our fish came off of bottom bouncers with worm harnesses. But the big boys were suspended so we caught all our big ones on Holographic jig heads with Berkly Gulp Minnows and Erie Dearies tipped with a piece of crawler. Some guys did real well for the big ones by trolling crankbaits but since we don't have a 4 stroke or a kicker motor we just have to drift.