My first try at trout fishing

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Little Luey, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This week I will be traveling to the Flafstaff Arizona area and I like to try fishing for trout, I have never fish for trout.
    The forecast calls for thunderstorms and rain the 3 days I will be out there. Is it even worth trying to fish in this weather? I realize when lighting and thunder starts I have to take cover but what about when it is only raining?

any tips for me?

I have a couple of light action rods with #6, some orange Powerbait salmon eggs, chedar cheesse and will be picking up some small hooks for the eggs. Anything else I should get?

2. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Oh, I forgot, temperature will be 70s during the day and 50s at night.

any help is appreciated.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    If you go after hatchery-raised or farm-raised fish like I do, then you might also consider getting Powerbait (chartreuse is recommended out here) and nightcrawlers. Ask the locals about leader length; this is important because you want your bait at the same depth as the fish.

As for hooks, I've had my best results with the Renegade(tm) brand hooks that I've purchased from Wal Mart. I use the #6 black octopus hooks.

If I'm using Powerbait(tm) eggs only, I'll thread two so that the hook goes through dead center, leaving point and barb exposed.

For Powerbait(tm) plus Powerbait(tm) egg, I'll thread egg on first and then cover hook with Powerbait(tm) , tapering the bait after I've finished.

I'll use one or two Powerbait(tm) eggs as a float and then thread either one small nightcrawler or half of a large one, if fishing with worms.

-- Rich

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have been up on the rim lakes the last three weekends, limiting out two of the three trips. Every time I was up there we got rained off the lake, mostly due to the terrifyingly close lightning strikes. Before and after, and especially during the rain storms, we were catching a lot of fish. They would hit powerbait very well fished off the bottom with a 12" leader, or from a bobber about 3 ft down. After a good rain, nightcrawlers seem to be the bait to use.

If you have a boat I highly recommend trolling with rebel crickhoppers, super duper spinners, or small roostertails. What caught about half of my fish, however, was a Les Davis Cowbell tipped with a nightcrawler. I was trolling slowly in my canoe, human powered. Just don't forget to bring good raingear, I didn't have any and I should have, so I am ordering some now. Good luck!

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Did you have any luck?

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    might want to try a couple of kernals of corn or some mini marshmallows. Both work around here for rainbows.

7. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    hey luey im an expert trout fisherman out here in cali and the weather seems the same out there like it is here. Well powerbait works well if you a beginner but takes to friggin long to work in some conditions. But what i noticed that inflated nightcrawlers sprayes with WD40 is the best. Also try using this stuff that you dip the bait in. i forgot but its made by the same company that makes powerbait. It comes in roe, garlic, and corn, use that and youll be good

8. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i would highly reccomend NOT using wd40 on your bait especially in our clean trout waters. wd stands for water displacement. it is pollution!

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    luey. just about every stream in the united states has some form of emergent hatch going on every day. this means there is a larval stage of the bug on the bottom of the stream which changes to a nymph then emerges as thru the film and flies of to mate and die. when it rains it beats the bugs down on the water and generally turns into a feeding frenzy for trout. if you are going fly fishing and it is raining throw something like a partridge soft hackle.at the end of your drift strip the soft hackle back to you .don't worry about wheather you are fishing for stocker/hatchery raised trout. trout at the hatchery eat anything that hits the water includeing bugs. a hatchery trout released into a stream will be eating bugs within a couple of days of being released.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you are in mountain streams i would be damn careful when it's raining. i have been in those conditions in utah, colorado, new mexico, and in the white mountains in arizona, and it can be scary! they fill up pretty quick when it rains, not a good idea to get caught in there in that situation.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i definatly agree with Jordan. if you are fishing a free stone stream stay off the stream or maintain situational awareness as if you life depended on it, because it does when it's raining up on the mountain.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like everyone has you covered. Another thing is velveeta cheese. The plain stuff, when powerbait and all the others dont work try it. Ya never will know what they will hit. Good luck. :big_smile:

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    luey please do not spray WD40 on your bait. this is not sound advice nor is it ethical. as sportsman we need to protect our waterways not pollute them.

14. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    My wife and I just returned from a week long trip to the Eastern Sierra Nevadas, where the trout fishing is famous. We were up in the June Lake Loop for the last few nights, and on Silver Lake on Saturday night, a good friend of mine, his nephew, and myself trolled Olive Matukas (flies) on 6lb test with 2lb leader behind a 12 ft. Valco.

In 2.5 hours, we pulled out 31 fish, all caught and released without ever leaving the water for more than 5 seconds. We probably hooked 40, but we actually got 31 of them up to the boat. It was a truly phenomenal night of fishing. Greatest part was, there were three seperate times where all three fishermen had fish on.

There's not many lakes that trolling a fly in the evening won't work on. If you have access to a boat, I'd highly recommend it.