My first trip to Monticello Lake...does anybody know a good psycologist?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Mar 31, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    today was my first solo trip to monty and can you smell that SKUNK!!!! (i went there once with chrisblue back in february 2007 and our big fish that day tipped the scales at 32 lbs)...so i anchored in water today from 18 to 55 feet and used cut shad, white perch, crappie, bream, and shrimp for bait...had 7 or 8 hits and was fighting a small fish but lost it on the way to the boat...i marked a lot of fish but they just would not eat...i don't undersatnd it...it was more than frustrating and to top it all off there was a huge freakin bass tourny there today with about 5 million boats entered in it!!!...i saw chrisblue out there today and i can't wait to see his post on here...it might just put me over the edge...who knows a good shrink cause i just may need one.:tounge_out: :tounge_out:

2. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My first time at monty was this year, and just like you , that darn skunk rode me all the next week. I did have a bite of a life time though. I was fishing in water 12-15 ft and I used a whole 1.5 lb white pearch.I opened his gut up a little in 2 different places, cut behind his gills, and poked some holes through him.Hooked him through the last bit of meat before his tail, and sunk him to the bottom.10 minutes or so had passed and I noticed my rod tip bouncing a little.I sat there and watched it do that about five minutes and all of a sudden I heard the lovely music of a drag zinging,all exicited,I snatched up the rod and let it run for about fifteen seconds, then put that Bill Dance hook set on him. The next thingI saw was my bait fly up out of the water. Talk about being SICK. I feel your pain brother.

3. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    yeh im waiting to hear how chris blue done today ! maybe next time youll have better luck from the times i have fished it ive only had one good day ! i hear the hotter the better on monty !

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I hear Monti can be drive you nuts. The one and only time I have fished it we did not do too good, but we blammed it on the weather, or the moon, or the sun, or something....LOL!!! :lol: We caught some dinks, but none of the monsters it is known for.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Keep on going after 'em. You know we really give too much credit to ourselves when we catch a nice mess of cats. After all it is the instinct of the fish and its need to feed that drive it to bite aggressively. I am sure you will have a great day on Monti if you keep trying. The more pieces of the puzzle that you put together with each trip, the greater will be your knowledge base as well as confidence when you sit down on top of them some day and scorch the lake.

6. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Before I go the next time, I'm planning on buying a telescoping dip net, so I can keep it "untelescoped", in a rod holder on the left front side of the boat. From what I've learned, this is Chris' only superstition........and my current dip net is one solid piece......

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Seems like I catch my biggest fish when I forget my net or fish with my "light" outfits. Also opening food or attempting to relieve one's bladder seems to have a positive effect on making fish bite.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This is the time of the year that many fish leave the cool depths and feed in the warmer shallows as this is where the food is.Plus they are not semi dormant at the warmer temperatures.There are times in the early spring that you can tear up the bream in 6 to 12 inches of water in the day time and tear up the catfish at night in the same spots.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep we have all had days like this one at some point and time and i am sure we will have others just like it...in spite of all the bad today i did learn a lot about the lake and it's creeks, channels, and currents...i am absolutley going to go back again and again and hopefully one day it will all come together for me...as far as any superstition...well if i had to wear a garlic necklace, chew on an old sock, and tattoo a picture of a catfish on my forehead with my mamma's name on it....WELL I WOULD IF THAT WOULD HELP ME CATCH EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah Big monty sure can be frustraiting but the good days always make u want to go back. A friend of mine fish the small rec. lake today with cut bream he only caught 1 but it was a 40 pounder. I'm going to have to get the small jon ready to try and drift that rec lake this summer.

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

is that on the other side where they only allow electric motors???

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Nothin special to report here.Only got 9 the biggest was a little over 15lbs.The 8 year old battled an approxamately 25 lb fish with in 10 foot of the boat and the hook come out.He was rather disappointed and so was I.It was fun to watch him moan and groan while he was fightin it though.I think I need to take a break and make a fresh start.I hadnt missed a weekend of fishin in 2 1/2 years, I think I'm gettin burned out, loosin my mojo or somethin.

13. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Chris,
    The fish just weren't cooperating you got the MOJO. Can't PO the catfish gods you miss a weekend and we all might get skunked

14. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah the rec lake is the one that is electric only. Chris that still don't sound like to bad of a day if u gettin in a slump just call ol captin D lol oh buddy he'll tell u were them fish is.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Marking fish on Monty is never a problem but catching them on the other hand is a whole different ballgame.

16. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina

chris i am glad to hear that you got into some more fish and a big fish at that...thanks for showing me around the lake a little yesterday and pointing me in the right direction to get started...you know the old saying "you can lead a cow to water but you can't make him drink"...well you told me how to catch em but that don't mean i'm gonna catch em...next time when we go on the same day i'm gonna hook a tow rope to your boat so i can follow you every where...i hope your clients won't mind:lol:

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I hadnt missed a weekend of fishin in 2 1/2 years, I think I'm gettin burned out, loosin my mojo or somethin...."

To hell with how to catch fish. I want to know how you convinced your wife to let you fish that many weekends!!! :lol:

Does she need someone to go shopping with on Saturday? I will gladly send my wife down if it takes some heat off of me!!!

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    :lol: Dont think I dont hear about it.Thats why I've got to take a break because I might not have one to much longer if I dont:big_smile: .

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Well, glad to hear I am not alone. :confused2:

It really is all about balence. I have learned that I need to fish just enough so that I am anxiously awaiting the next trip. The reall trick is to convince them to fish with you! Then you are combining family time and FISHING!! :lol:

I am already prepping my wife for April when we fish an all night tournament on Friday night and then turn around and fish one Saturday night!! :tounge_out:

20. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah right--good luck on that one big boy! We may be having to change diapers on some of these trips pretty soon.