My First Trip On the Kaskaskia River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by deerhunter4, Aug 23, 2007.

1. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well here goes folks,
    Sorry I have been working or fishing and have had very little time on the net the past few days...
    I pulled one more all nighter the other night fishing with Randy( fishnfwl)...
    Randy is a great guy who loves to fish and is pretty good at it...I enjoy his company as well...If you ever get a chance to fish with him try it he is very knowledgeable about the river and just fishing in general...

Our story from last night goes something like this,
    We started the night meeting a bunch of drunks at the rivers' boat ramp...What a trip...7 guys one girl..4 guys and the girl in the water...The girl hanging on all the guy's in the water... just being nasty...My poor ole' eyes...

We hit the water finally and got started...we set out 8 bank poles, 2 bush lines, 5 jugs and hand lined after we set the poles and jugs out for an hour a set,then went to check the sets...We ended the night with 4 flats and 2 channels,1Grinnelcat=aka: bowfin, aka:DOGFISH!!!!,1 drum and several lost baits...

I got the nick name Dogfish now from Randy cause I caught that stinking ole' nasty grinnelcat...Yuck!!! be careful with those guy's they have some pretty nasty teeth if you have never seen one...Caught him on the rod and reel good fighting fish but freaky looking...
    Randy caught one flattie and one channel on the rod and reel everything else was caught on bank pole and jugs..Was a real treat for me as I have never put out bank poles before...Now I just need to run the river a bit more to find out the holes and such...I sure loved doing that...Nothing like coming round the bend and seeing your pole bent and wondering whats on the other end...kinda like christmas for me...

Well here are a few pictures from the trip...Hope you all enjoy
    We had a great time

Attached Files:

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul,
    Looks like you guys had fun.... enjoyed your report of the trip. Now that old grinnel you caught really isn't bad eating, at least thats my opinion. Dress them, soak over night and then fry like any other fish.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Paul, i once caught a 40 lb grinnel out of the rend lake spillway. you talk about ugly!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those grinnel can be alot of fun to catch, they put up a good fight!!!! Enjoyed your story and Glad you got out to do some fish'n, buddy!!!
    Ol'GrinnelHunter, ROTFLMAO!!!!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :crazy: WOW!, I have stuck some 10-12#rs that must have been a trip and the excitement all the way to the first glimps then the instant rush of *%*%*%*% :wink:, atleast that's how I felt with the one bigun I had caught while WALLEYE fishing, thought I had a Giant eye LOL! Still was a tackle testing fight I'm sure.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    it was a good fight, but the bad part is i thought it was a catfish until i pulled it up were i could see it.

7. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What part of the river were ya fishing? I was looking at the Little Wabash there where Rte 40 crosses it just west of Effingburg and thought it may have some possibilities. Ever fish there?

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have looked over that rail many of times never fished there never seen anyone there, It does look pretty good, nice lookin hole there also under 70, always seems to have water too, if ya try it let us know so we can get in there while your workin :wink: j/k, was following the river the other night on live maps looking for a ramp on it, you know of any? is there one maybe in Louisville, kinda looked like one from that map but not sure. Thanks Randy

9. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    40 lbs!! holy crap dude the state record is like 15 lbs i think. that is huge! i have caught 12s and 13s but nothing over that.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    guess i should have kept it. it was 4 years ago, and i caught him about a half mile down from the rend lake spillway on a chicken liver. the rend lake spillway is trash-fish heaven. don't know how much pride i would take in catching a state record grinnell though:embarassed: