My first time on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ScottWiseman, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Me, my son Thomas and my buddy Steve fished the Ohio River at Markland Dam Friday night. It is near Vevay Indiana. We werent in Kansas anymore Toto haha. What a contrast that is compared to fishing the White River, which will now seem like a creek to me...haha. Anyway...we set up about 50 yards south of the dam where the gates were letting water through...and away from the lock. We were fishing drop offs, breaks, and ledges and using 6-10oz sinkers to keep our bait down. Using cut skipjack, bluegills, chubs and goldfish, we managed only 3 fish. Thomas caught a 5 lb flathead and Steve caught a 5 lb channel and a 21 lb blue cat. Had alot of really good runs...just couldnt seem to connect. The water temps were around 65-68 degrees. Steve lost 2 anchors to snags on the bottom....they were really nice Richter anchors too. Any advice on anchoring in this area? All in all, I will go back to this place as soon as I can. We marked so many fish that I quit looking at the depthfinder...haha. Here is a picture of Steve's big one:
    [​IMG]

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We fish at Markland once in a while. I have never had a problem with anchors, but i let ALOT of line out while in the tailwaters.

You guys did better than we did. We went out last night about 7 miles downriver of where you were fishing and we fished for 7 hours and got skunked! so consider yourself lucky

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the wonderfull world of BIG River fishing, LOL!!!
    Most folks drift fish those places from what I have seen. I don't want to get that close to a dam myself, they are very dangerous places to fish brother.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    just be careful, especially when the river is up like it is. I would not driftfish it right now, as the water running out is running at about 6 mph's. But definately be careful and have respect for it and don't get too close. I stay about 100 yards away. And everything I have heard about the dam from the guys that tear them up is fish current breaks and spots where two different speed/directions of current hit. this is not where you can see it on top but along bottom so it takes some searching, but i hear it is well worth it!

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That makes 3 Richter anchors then! I lost one there earlier this year. Occupational hazard I suppose...W

6. Catman_Chuck

Catman_Chuck New Member

State:
    concrete block boys concrete blocks. I have never lost 1. Go figure the cheap anchors are alway retrievable. The good anchors are the ones that get away.

5 gallon bucket and a bag of quickrete. small loop of chain and some anchor line....bingo a river anchor. A bit heavier but worth its weight in gold

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    dang on, we move spots a ton. i think i would be too worn out from hauling that thing in too catch a big fish.

we use 10 pound river anchors-they are hold to hang up on something. and let about 3-4 times the amount of line as you are fishing deep. so if fishing 30 feet i usually let out about 100 feet, unless fishing some strong current.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my anchor holds great it was made by dreadnaught its made from a disc blade dont weigh 5# but holds like you wouldnt beleive

thanks jw

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    your anchor is awesome, i need to make one

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like a good time either way Scott... Hope you produce some big ones out of there.. Be waiting to hear the stories