My first time hunting!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Flatheadhunter33, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A retired Marine buddy of mine invited me to go hunting with him! This will be my first time EVER hunting for somethnig other than catfish! I am exctited as heck right now! He has a black bear tag so we are going up to northern Az where I will basicly stand there and try to learn something and try not be bear chow:smile2:...if we are lucky he plans to try to use his turkey tag also...I looked up the forecast for where we are going and it looks to be pretty cold at night:eek:oooh:...Im ready anyways! MY FIRST HUNT!

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on going, did he tell ya what you can hunt with? I like hunting but dont know if id be up to hunt something that can eat me. Id at least have my 30/06 and my 44mag revolver. Good luck and let us know all about it!!

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great Dameon, you'll be glad ya started.It gets in your blood.

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    He's gonna use a bow for the bear. He didnt say what he's planning for the turkey. He's also gonna have his taurus 44 tracker as a side arm...at least that's the plan...

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Dameon! Bear hunting is awesome. It's definently the biggest rush in hunting I've experienced so far. I've taken 2 Black Bears with a bow and I'm sure I won't stop there yet. Good luck on the hunt and post some pics when the chance arrives.

Word of advice!! Stay alert and just experience the time. You'll be hooked for sure!!

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Spring Turkey is an awesome hunt, He'll either be using a shotgun, shooting shot, or his bow for that also!!
    The .44 isn't legal for the Turkey, or any type firearm shooting "ball" ammo.
    Enjoy,, Have fun!!

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Good luck on that hunt. We will be waiting to hear how you do......

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hi everyone. Just got back last night. Well...we didnt get to shoot anything but I will tell you all that I still had a blast! We saw alot of wildlife out there (turkey, wild horses, mule deer and over 50 elke!) We didnt see any bear and after a few days of scouting before the season opened, we didnt see any signs of bear either...so we headed over to another area that my buddy had a turkey tag for and didnt get any over there either...the weather was really windy so we couldnt call to well. Anyhow, we had fun good camping out (excpet for one night when I kept waking up and hearing stuff going on outside my tent...I kept imagining Bigfoot being out there!):eek:oooh:...I also learned how to tell deer tracks from elke tracks from turkey tracks! My buddy invited me to go out with him next time he goes and I plan to learn even more. The one thing I regret is not taking a camera. That part of Arizona (Williams) is beautiful! the sights I saw wont be forgotten anytime soon!

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Dameon glad you had a great time learning about hunting and enjoying mother nature at it's best. You ever been to flagstaff before?

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dameon,I'm glad you went. Theres nothing like the great outdoors.:cool2:

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The hunting camp is as much of the hunt as the hunt its self.Thats just me talkin.happy you had a good time Brother.
    smokey

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was in Flagstaff for a wedding a few years ago and didnt see much of the outdoors. Its really hard to believe that you're still in Arizona when you're up there...Its amazing!. I plan to go back up there sometime soon to take my kids camping. I still have a ways to go as far as hunting with them and on my own though!:cool2:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Glad ya had a good trip brother. Killin is just the result of hunting. It's the hunt itself that intrigues me. Spend time in the woods and pay attention to what ya see, you'll figure it out.

14. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Glad you had a good time.

15. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Dameon you could be hooked like an ole catfish now. I am 36yrs old and been hunting since I was 13. I love chasing big fish but give me a deer hunt and the fish will have to feed theirselves. Ain't nothing like watching the woods come to life on a cold morning while 90% of the other folks are still sound asleep and do not know what they are missing and the adrenaline rush when that big buck, hog, or turkey walks out and it comes down to you and him and 1 shot. Then you have the bond and fellowship that only hunters can have w/ one another. Hope this was just your first of many hunts. If you were closer I would take you deer hunting. Good luck with the new addiction

16. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'll tell ya what...when I saw the first of many elk that week, it was really cool to say the least! I swear, I looked in that direcion it was standing and didnt see a thing. Then my buddy joe told me "check out the elk"...I looked again and there it was plain as day!! It was huge too!

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keep a side arm on you at all times. Be ready for cold, it can change 50 degrees from day to night in some of the areas. Have fun, good luck

Danny