My first season hopefully

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by FishenRedneck, Jul 23, 2007.

1. FishenRedneck

FishenRedneck New Member

State:
    texas
    well i whant to start traping and i was woundring what i would need im going to be going after coons possum fox and was woundring were i should set them i got a place neer a cove on a lake and a about a mile strech of canon any help would be thankfully

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    WELLLLL

first for what ur gona be goin after.... go with #1.5 cs traps or #11 DLS traps for coon...

read up as MUCH as u possibly can on the animals u wana trap... u can make a half bad set and still get animals IF its on animla sign... but if its no where near the animlas then u arent gonna catch nothin!!!
    also snares are very good and productive

READ READ READ READ!

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here is some info I posted on another forum about getting started into trapping:

First-off & most important, before you ever go shopping for traps & gear, pick-up a copy of your States Trapping Regulations, read them & know them. If you have any questions, contact your local CO for an explaination. Your state will have requirements on the types of traps and sets you can use, as well as snares. Be sure you know them. If you aren't they type who can obey laws & rules, please stop here & get out of outdoor sports all together.

Secondly, find the means ($$) to join your State Trapping Association. This will get you several benefits from protecting &supporting your trapping rights, a trapping magazine subscription (usually), and it puts you in contact with some local trappers. If you can, also join the NTA (National Trappers Association). These organizations need your support, similar to the NRA & guns, for example.

Most states hold Trappers Education classes, I strongly suggest attending, and not being bashful in asking questions (take a notebook with you). Many states also have trapping conventions, which are a great place to look at gear, watch demos, talk & meet trappers from your state, as well as get an opportunnity to compare all types of traps which will be there at the vendor booths.

Start with the above suggestions 1st, as opposed to running-out & buying gear which may not even be legal in your state. Also, educate yourself in order to use discretion & proper trap selection to avoid catching domestic dogs & cats. If your state has a leash-law, call Animal Control everytime you see a free-roaming dog or cat.

Know your laws & regulations YOURSELF, don't take someone elses word (outside of the CO) for it unless you're sure. There's nothing woth breaking the law for, and losing your traps, gear, vehicle, trapping rights, etc. for. If you see someone breaking any regulations (be it trapping, hunting, fishing, poaching) report it immediatly to your CO. We don't need people like that involved in outdoor sports.

Learn proper anchoring techniques, meaning how to properly and securely anchor your traps to hold your catches. Keep in mind that if you're trapping 'coon on land, what may happen if a coyote wanders into your set, it's happened before, and you need to have your traps properly staked. Nothing worse than having an animal running lose wearing a trap on it's foot.

You also need to learn how to clean & treat (dye & wax) your traps, as well as adjust them and set the proper pan tension. Pan tension will assist in avoiding "non-target" catches.

Also, you will need to properly, humanely, and legally distatch your catches. This may be better discussed at a Trappers Education class. Also, use the outdoors wisely, if you kill it, use it. Most states have laws against "Wanton Waste", I know mine does.

Learn "Fur Handling", meaning how to skin, flesh, and properly dry your fur. You'll not only receive the satisfaction of seeing the end-results of it, but it will increase your fur check as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

As far as gear goes, your trap size & selection should be made after learning the regulations, as well as trap selection depends upon the furbearer you intend to target.

Feel free to add to this list:

Trapping Trowel (small shovel)

Trap Hammer- to drive stakes & dig trapbeds

Dirt sifter- Used to cover the trap, while removint dirt-clods, rocks, and debris

Pan Covers- to place over the pan to keep dirt from piling under the pan & preventing the trap from firing. I use wax paper & coffee filters.

Packbasket- Something to carry your gear in, even if it's a 5gal. bucket or two, or a "gunny-sack"

Trapstakes- Either rebar or Cablestakes

Catch/release pole- Our K9 season opend a month before 'coon season. I use a pole similar to what the "dog-catcher" uses to release them. Some trappers use a Y-shaped stick, which may require a second person to release the trap. Use caution when releasing animals.

Gloves

Tools- Enough to adjust your traps

Lures/bait/Urine- Specific to the animal you're targeting.

Remember too your traps will need treated, either dipped, or dyed & waxed. If your a young trapper, discuss the best method your parents would feel most comfortable in you using.

Once all ajusted & treated, you need to store them in containers like plastic totes with lids, and away from fumes like gasoline, car exhaust, etc.

Get an early start on gathering & preparing your gear, don't wait until the last minute. It's never too early to prepare for the upcoming season. Spend off-season studying, reading & researching, and of course here, on the internet.

I always express to younger trappers to put forth alittle of their own effort in looking for information. Read through all the old posts, you'll learn alot, even if it wasn't what you were "looking for". If after doing that, and you still haven't answered your question, then ask it. You'll retain information much better if you work for it alittle.

Here again, I'm directing this more towards younger trappers, but alot of you say you have little cash for equipment. Well, I bet a kid & a snowshovel could have made a pretty good amount of cash this winter. lol, if you're too lazy to shovel some snow.....then trapping isn't for you. Summertime is the same, mow yards, wash cars, ask around, there's all sorts of opportunnities for a youngster to earn some money. Again, start saving early, you'll be suprised how quickly it'll add-up. If you end-up spending it on a new MP3 Player....you weren't too interested in trapping anyways..........

If you happen to be fortunate enough to have your grandparents living....ask your Grandpa about trapping, see if he can tell you anything. Just keep in mind that laws have changed, so what may have been legal "back then" may not be now.

If you have an old freezer, catch some fish this summer for coon bait, or make your own fishoil. You'll have some fun fishing & get some coon bait all at the same time. Try to limit your bait to "trash-fish" like carp, or anything similar in your area. Leave the sportfish & eaters.

If you trap....you need a place to trap, you need "ground". If you live in the country, you probably alreadt have somewhat of an advantage. Either you own or rent ground, or have neighbors or friends that do.

Here's where knowledge (about trapping) plays an important role. WHen you're talking with landowners (asking for permission), they'll have questions, and you need to be able to give them ethical & intelligent answers. Know your traps, and show them one. Explain that they aren't "leg-breakers" as the anti's would like everyone to believe. I've even stuck my hand in them to show them.

Most farmers know the damage animals can do to their property & crops, and would most likely to grant you permission. Present yourself in a respectable & appropriate manner (dress decent, speak politely). If you get a"no", leave your phone number in case they change their minds. And don't "bug" a farmer during his busy season because they'll tell you no just to get rid of you.

Print-up some business type cards with your name & phone number, address if you want, just don't portray yourself to be a "nuisance or ADC" trapper, as they may require special permits, and charge fees for their service.

Wether you get a "yes" or "no", thank them. If it's a "yes", ask if they have any pets, are they "inside or outside" pets, and plan your sets accordingly. If they have barn cats, you better get some livetraps. If they have dogs, get some dog-proof traps, or see if they'll pen their dogs if they aren't fenced-in. Pre-arrange what's "too early" to arrive in the mornings to run traps. I wouldn't show-up at 5:00AM if they normally aren't up until 6:30AM.

Ask about hunters, if they let deer or coon-hunters use their land you need to use caution about this as well. Work around the seasons, and remember that accidents happen, and more than 1 hunter has failed to identify their target. Wear blaze orange if your in the field during season.

Use your head & common sense, look-ahead for any possible conflitcs & resolve them before you ever set the 1st trap. Respect their property, leave it better than you found it. Keep gates closed (if they were closed when you got to them), notify farmers of any damage or tresspassers you may think you've seen on their property, and be sure to also ask where you can drive & where you can't, expecially in muddy conditions.

Nothing would probably get you the boot faster that failing to respect a landowners property.

Alot of beginning trappers want to target coyote. Coyote are one of the tougher critters to catch, and "starting out" on them may lead to some discouragement to a beginning trapper.

Start with some easier to catch furbearers, 'coon, 'rats, 'possum, etc. This will not only be less of an initial investment on traps & gear, and will provide you some experience and room to make mistakes without "education" the more intelligent animals.

This will also give you an opportunity to practice your furhandling on some lesser-valuable furs, and re-invest that money into more traps & gear.

Patience in trapping is no different than fishing. Patience & determination, along with dedication will get you farther than anything.

Hope some of this helps.
    Smitty

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good luck on your traping

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck on your first season of trapping.

6. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Get a subscription to Fur,Fish & Game magazine. Very good reading and very informative. Good Luck

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Excellent reply Smitty you covered all the bases