My first post and some questions.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by weebrio, May 12, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Hello, this my first post on this messgae boards.
    I have enjoyed reading every ones post over the last few days, now I feel like it is time to ask a few questions.

I fish for bass in a small private lake, never seen any cat fish, so are cat fish juat a big lake or river fish, I ask because I am going to try and get some the next time I go up there to fish?

My boat is a 10Ft Jon, I only have a small trolling motor on it, evey thing works fine in the small lake, I want to try a bigger lake, I am wondering if the Jon Boat would be suitable for that as long as I do not stray away too far from the shore. Or do I need bigger boat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bryan

Welcome to the group, good to have you.

I started with a little 12 ft jon. I used it on a small lake but never took it out on big water. I have a friend that fishes from a little plastic job that I love to give him trouble about. He puts it in the back of the truck and takes it to some big lakes but always puts in at the calm well wooded end of the lake (most lakes have that end somewhere) and he never has a problem. He keeps a close eye out for the guy with a big boat going to fast in the trees and watches his load in the boat really close. As much trouble as I like to give him about his boat he catches alot of fish out of it. Good fishing...........

3. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    My son wants to try cat fishing as he watched a show on TV and during that show a giant cat fish was caught, it looked like a very small back water that the guy was fishing in.

Also the lake I want to go fishing at is Calaveras just out side San Antonio, the have fish attractors acording to the map of the lake, I really want to try that area.
    It is a big lake lots of water borne transporttation going around, I am a little bit aprehensive that my small Jon would be swamped.

I know a guy who has one of those plastic boats, him and another buddy of mine go fishing at Canyon lake, they are both a good 200 pounds and they take a cooler and about six fishing rods.
    They catch plenty of fish, some big ones acording to them.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC, I had a 10 ft jon with a 2 horse suzuki and it wasn't very good in bigger water or on the river when there was heavy boat traffic. If you do use it make sure you stay close to the shore. I used mine to run limb lines and it worked great for that purpose. when in came to rod and reel fishing it worked ok on smaller cats but on bigger cats,
    20+ lbs. it was hard to get them in the boat without tipping it.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There is no way that I would take a 10' jonboat on anything bigger than a small lake or pond. The rivers that we fish in this area are fairly dangerous for a 14' boat.
    Keep in mind that if the wind gets up while you are on a large body of water, it can become a nightmare in a small boat, not to mention other watercraft that make large wakes.

7. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I am in South West Texas, there are a few elelectric only lakes around, some good rivers and small lakes, no way will I take it out any real distance especialy with larger boats in the aera.
    I do want to go around the edges though, just far enough out so I can cast to the bank and give fish the impresion that my lure has bounced off the bank and is swiming out from the bank.
    But I want to cat fish, and dont really know if cat fish can be caught like that, decent size ones anyway.
    The good thing about the Jon is it can go up very shallow creeks and back waters where few people fish.

What do cat fish eat, I know I can get all that stink bait stuff but is there any lures or swim baits that I can use?
    Do they strike bait and lures or do they sort of run in to something tasty and swallow that?
    Are the deep water of do they reside in the shallows?
    Is it a case of puting your line in the water and watching the end of your rod for a while?

And what is considerd a reasonalble size of cat fish?
    Thanks in advance.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    most good catfishermen get their bait from the waters they are going to fish.shad,bream,bullheads,shiner minnows,worms,and liver these are all good for cats.channels and blues i mostly use cut bait.for the small flatheads i use 3 to 5 inch brem for large flatheads the skys the limit.ive known guys that use 3 lb.carp and catch fish.as far as resonable size cats that depends on your lake.some places a 5 lb.cat will have people taking your picture.other places a 30 lb.der hardly gets a second look.fish from the bank to the middle of the lake and every where in between.you will sooner or later find where and what they like.good fishing and welcome to the boc.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If shad are present where you fish, that's all you really need to know about bait. If you don't already have one, get a small cast net, and learn to use it.

Boats are transportation to where the fish are, and this time of year, I catch all the catfish I can stand from the bank. Concentrate on the upper third of your reservoir, and look for the shoreline with the windiest, roughest water, beach your boat, get out, and get it on. Points are especially good.

Just my opinion, but I think small jons are okay on ponds and small sloughs, but anywhere else, they're deathtraps.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would hazard a guess as to say it depends entirely upon the guy in the boat. If you are aware of your surroundings, don't venture into rough water, and take the large waves head-on, you probably would be okay. The main use of a boat you describe would be in running jug lines, trot lines, throw lines and setting limb lines. Cats are not like bass or other predatory fish. They seldom hit a lure, although there is always the rare cat that don't know they are not supposed to hit a lure. IF your going to get into serious cat fishing, going for the large ones, you have to use bait. Live sunfish is probably the best all around bait for the large cats. But read your Texas regs very thoroughly before you even get started. Each state is different, and Texas is no exception. Cats can be found in deep water, but usually above the thermocline. The larger cats have the reputation of mostly feeding at night, and in shallow water, although there is exceptions to that statement also. Best advice I can think of is to ask around the bait houses for a serious cat man. Go with him a few times to learn the ropes before you start yourself. Keep your pfd handy, cause a big cat will give you a ride in that jon boat. LOL We just had a recent report of 4 guys taking a jon boat out on the Canadian river in flood stage. Three made it back. It don't take a rocket scientist to fish, but it does take a lot of common sense.

11. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC bro.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Enjoy your stay here. Keep that boat out of the large lakes and away from big boats. You will be fine.

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC.. When I lived outside of Houston, I used to fish the Jacinto River by Baytown and the big lake north of Houston by the reservoir from the bank.. I used nitcrawlers and shrimp and fished both on bottom and with a floater for catfish.. You can try that in your area and see how it does.. Evenings close to bank seemed to be the best time for me down there.. The boat you have is best kept where you are fishing now.. Ponds and small lakes with no wake restrictions.. Hope this helps you out some..

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, welcome home. Yes get a bigger boat. If not, get back on the bottom of yours. You won't need a platform and swivel seat for the cats,but just from the safety stand point alone, removing the extra weight and returning your center of gravity will make her safer on the larger lakes.:big_smile:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bryan Welcome to the BOC. Good to have you on board. It looks like you rigged your boat good for a small pond, however don't chance it on a larger body of water. Always think safety first.:lol: :smile2:

16. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I went fishing to day, not any catfish, I tried a little bit to catch some, I landed up with nine bass instead.
    This cat fishing is a whole differnt ball game, bass you can see and they appear to be creatures of habbit, I know the spots in the lake I fish where they usually are.

Cat fish I dont have a clue, I admit it, I am going to persevere with this though, I enjoyed learning the bass fishing stuff, I still have a long way to go with the bass and more with the cats, just haveing the skills will enable me to have a slection of fish to go for.

That small deck on my boat can be removed in seconds, I still have a few mods I want to do so it is a work inprogress.

[​IMG]

I started off with this.

[​IMG]

Today at the lake. Note how calm it is.

[​IMG]

This is what I have done so far, really just tried to do the best with what I have.

17. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    WELCOME TO BOC.........

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    please dont get too brave with that jon boat. he weather here in texas can go from calm to white caps in one minute. so just a word iwould not get on a lake maybe a stock tank . thanks sam .

19. bigwhiterivercat

bigwhiterivercat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm a newbie, but went to Henderson last weekend. Plan on hanging around this site, Lots of good people.

I fish in a small lake around 3 acres, we have lots of fun with the catfish in the lake. We catch some as big as 10lb I do fish in the White River in the southern Indiana area but mostly in the small lake.

20. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I went to Calavers lake last week end with the Jon-Boat, I stayed very close to the shore, I did find a deep, 40 to 50 feet spot in the no wake zone and it was fairly far from the shore perhaps 500 yards, there were canoes and kayaks there also so I felt I was not pushing the envolope.
    I never did catch any fish that day but I tried, this being the first time on the lake I was not expecting to get any thing, but I did manage to check the place out in reddines for the next trip.

The anchor system I have made up on my boat worked really well, the new prop I modfied to fit also did very well, still feel like I am going slow when a guy in a canoe goes past me though. But if I tie on some new hooks then look up I have moved fairly far in that short time, so I am chugging along.

I have been catching catfish at a local pond, the biggest being 15 inches long and the others being very close to that but no less than 12 inches.

Also I bought a Zebco 808 combo, I caught six catfish in the pond yesterday, with the new rod.
    The gear ratio in the 808 is nothing like my spining reels, I feel like it is very slow or the spinning reels are lighting fast.

I had a lot of fun yesterday watching the tip of my new rod twitching and then a couple of times the baitclicker thing started to click, what a great sound, FISH ON, all we need now is a fish of concequence to bite my hook, hopefully it will happen.

A note, I am under no iluisions about the boat, I need a bigger boat, one person in that boat is doable but two is really taking it past the limit of its desing, bigger boat in the future I suspect, and till then I will do some other mods to the one I have till I get it better, plus it will sell better when the time comes to do so.

I have also discovred that I really need to upsize my hooks, I have found that with the fish I have caught most have taken the hook way in and I have a hard time getting the hook out and have had to cut some off and realease the fish. I realease nearly all my fish the only ones I have not, I gave to a man who was fishing for food one night, He was very greatfull for them as he was haveing some trouble catching anything.

He then gracefully helped me out of the pond after I triped over the rod holder, which leads me to tell you guys that I am learning to swim, I can swim a little bit but I go each day and swim as far as I can in the local pool till I can not swim any longer, it is good exersize at least.