My first Penn

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Skunk Master, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok, I need help.. I bought a Penn 209 off of Ebay.. My 1st mistake.. It freespools with lever in both directions.. When I push lever forward to lock it in it makes a grinding noise.. So where can I get a parts breakdown and info on where to buy parts for it.. I guess I'm going to try and rebuild it.. It would of been cheaper to buy a new one, but now I got 25.00 in it after shipping, so I'll bite the bullet and fix it.. Any suggestions on what I need to do to it..

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Harold ,I've bought about 5 or 6 cat reels off e-bay and all have been great.For a parts break down,log onto Penns website,you can see what parts you will need.
    Also there may be some info in the BOC library and there is diffinately some very knowledgable Penn guys on here.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don't worry, you will get it fixed and then you will know why they are one of the best reels there is for big fish.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here is a PDF ot the parts list for the Penn 209, Hope this helps.:smile2:

Attached Files:

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

all penns old and new can just be shipped back to penn to get them rebuilt and fixed pretty cheap,unless you are good at taking reels apart i wouldnt open it up.

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks guys.. I think I got at least 1 broke spring from the way it's acting. I should of known better, when the guy said he didn't know anything about reels.... He buys stuff at yard sales and sells them on ebay.. That's the 1st thing I ever bought on ebay... I'll definately be leary for awhile.. I'm not used to buying things I can't see.. I really appreciate the help..

7. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Live and learn, however, once you get it repaired you will still have less than a new one and a dawg gone good reel. I got a penn "Special Senator" and it is awsome, biggest fish, 82lb sting ray, it never missed a lick. Good luck.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I sure hate to hear you had such a bad experience with one of the finest reels ever made. I've got several threads on here about the 209's and I own 30+ of them today. I buy them and restore them to original..show room.. condition. That particular reel has been around nearly 50 years. Just a suggestion for taking your reel apart, first..I hope you got the little wrench that comes in every box with your reel. The locking screw(23A)you can use any small blade flat screw driver to remove but the large handle screw(23) is sometimes a pain and pliers will work but often ruff the edges. I found in the beginning that if you place your screws and parts in separate piles for each side of the reel it makes it easier to reassemble with your new parts. I also am a store owner on Ebay and you really must check the feedback each seller has to give you a sense of who you are dealing with. Then if you are still not sure email the seller directly with your concerns. There are lots of scams out there especially fake money orders, bank checks, identity theft to name just a few. If you have any future concerns about your reel, drop me a pm and I'll help you or give you the names of the people that have helped me. This won't make it much easier but the handle for your reel sells for around $12. to $15. on Ebay, and the stainless steel spool is around $25. alone. All can be purchased much cheaper else where.

Don

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks guys... I'm going to wait till I start getting cabin fever this winter, that'll be a nice project when everything outside is white and cold..

10. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    send it to Penn or Southwestern Parts and Service in Dallas. They both will fix you up. After you see a schematic you may decide that you don't want to open it up. I do encourage you to learn to fix your own reels though. Start with something simple, like an Ambassadeur 5000.