My first long bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by dannybcc, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey Cat fishin brothers,
    I have been shooting and collecting recurves all winter now and truly an enjoyable addiction. Since parking my Trycon after a unussually successful dear season and switching to recurves I have learned how to make my own arrows, made some of my arrow making tools, been teaching my self on bow refinishing and made some custom bow racks. A good share of what I have learned this winter is from the advice and experience shared by the traditional shooters right here in this room. Very much appreciated.
    Just wanted to share my thoughts on my first longbow I bought from a friend last week. Keep in mind all my recurves are 60's-early 70's vintage. The long bow is a 2 year old Chek-mate Crusader. It is 66", 49lb @ 28". It is flawless and a real beauty. Smooth, whisper quiet and what a joy to shoot. The wife is pretty picky on what goes on her walls but told me "now that bow you can hang on the wall". It is a reflex/deflex design and I shoot it (the grip) just as my recurves. Shooting 100 gr 1916 Easton Legacys out of it and they shoot really nice. Craftsmanship is wonderful, great people to deal with.
    Well hope I didnt bore you but not alot of traditional shooters around here so I thought I would share my thoughts with you guys.
    If anyone is looking for new bow, check out the Chek-mates, dont see how you wouldnt be satisfied.
    Danny J

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Sounds like a sweet bow, I've been look'n at the Checkmate web site, he makes some great look'n bows.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    After years of not shooting I just got myself my first longbow. I am discovering the fun of shooting.
    congrats! on your new weapon.

4. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds like you got a nice bow. i love to shoot stick bows. just bought a 60lbs draw black widow.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats! It's always nice to have another stick bow shooter around. Sounds like a sweet bow.