my first jet

Discussion in 'Boating' started by lendog, Aug 27, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    just picked this boat up on tuesday, it's a 1997 18' pro tracker w/90 merc. jet, this will be my 3rd boat but first jet experence so i'm real excited, boat had loads of extras and storage, i'm just gettin a few things switched over from my old boat like the safety equip and stuff like that, then i'll be in the river:wink:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121815&page=14

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have always wanted a jet, congrats!

Give us some feedback once you get some time with the boat.

Prop V.S. Jet gut feel reaction..

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You may make cats Jump.. if you hang one, sit down, and put the hammer down :smile2::wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lenny I thought you had purchased an airplane.:smile2: Congrats on the boat. I've never owned a jet and know nothing about them.. Good luck on your new ride.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've always wanted one too. I have a 'special' place only accessible by a jet boat. CONGRATS!

Bill in SC

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you will enjoy your jet I had 99 tracker with the 120 sport jet,loved it until it sucked up some rocks then I wanted to kill it.lol One thing I did do was weld the spring loaded grate shut on the botom that cut down on some of the clogs..... hope this helps.

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Congrats on your purchase .I've got a 14 foot roughneck with a 20hp johnson jet.They are really good in getting you to ROUGH spots..Ive taken mine over downed logs and ankle deep water you can fly through submerged timber.
    The drawbacks are lower fuel economy and a loss in power..you dont have the thrust of a prop.Mine is a outboard type with only the lower unit looking different you also have to watch out when there is alot of floating debris..you have to stop and clean out the intake no big deal but its part of owning one.
    Hope you have alot of fun with yours and hook into that monster that nobody can get too.:wink:

8. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Lendog !!

LOL, they are fun, but they take a little gettin use to, when you get up on plane, be sure and back off on the throttle a little, to save your self some power, just in case you need to make a quick turn,they act like a big Jet Ski :smile2:

when you go to put it on the trailer, be sure there is not a lot of current, or wind, (((LMBO))) you will see what I am talking about :smile2:
    best advice that I can give is just take it easy, until you get the feel of it, (((((They ant nothin like a prop motor)))):smile2:

but you can get to some great fishing holes with it,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  9. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think my bigist problem would be sucking up stuff... also checking every now and then ...

Water will shoot out about 15-18 ft behind my boat and when i get a blockage it will only go out about 6-7ft.

i love going places that other boats CANT GO! ..

But when you start seeing muddy water shooting out the back its a scary feeling lol...

My boat with a jet vs my buddy's boat with the same hp and he has more weight he will run off and leave me in a second...:eek:oooh: but i fish so i dont need to go 50mph lol

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You will love it. I have a 2072 Seaark with a 115/80 and it wot with me. I live in Ohio but I remeber fishing the Big Piney, the Little Piney, the Current, the Gasconade, the Mississippi, Bagnall Dam and that Huge lake can't remember the name (above Bagnall)

11. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    ran the jet today before the showers came, was very impressed with the handling of it, even at lower speeds the steering wasn't an issue, over 10mph the steering actually was better than my proped boat, gets up on plane in about 15 seconds, even in reverse the steering was'nt an issue, even ran along some shorelines and went over a small tree (about 3inch round) with braches and all that was down across the top of the water and just zipped rite over it like nothing, only thing i need to do is drive up on the trailer a little faster than i did and have the side bunks out of the water a couple inches more, but after a couple trips i'll be used to loadin this boat, another cool thing is trimming the motor up and gunnin the motor and shooting a 70' rooster tail in the air, can't wait ta soak someone fishin close ta me :smile2:

13. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Post some pictures if you could please.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Been waitin' on your report! Glad it's workin' to your likin'!! I hit ya with some reps!

Bill in SC

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    there are a couple pics in my photo album on my profile page, its the tracker boat, the other boat (fiberglass) will be for sale real soon

16. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    15 seconds to plane seems long to me, Youre impellar may be dull.

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on the boat.

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lendog I thought you got the tracker pro team jet,(inboard sport jet) looks like you have an outboard jet. Disregard what I said about welding the spring loaded grate shut! lol Two different animals.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Nice boat Lenny,, The first jet drives I ever saw were Hugh Bro!.

Heres a picture of one we built back in the early 80's, It was 94' But the Boss took it back out and dry docked it so we could cut the back off of it and extended it out to 125'. I'm talking about moving everything in the whole engine room back :crazy:( must be nice to have all the $$$ you will ever need)Look at the water line on this boat..It had the front up in the air.LOL..She was flying.:smile2:

It had Below deck, Maintenance room, Engine room, 3 - 3208 Caterpillar engine's with Jet drive units that would cruise at 40knots:big_smile:, Living quarters 1 master/full bath, 3 state rooms and 1full bath/shower, 1 head/shower in bow.

Main deck, Full controls, galley, bar, head, Fully in-closed lounge on back deck.

Upper deck, also full controls, Helicopter pad, with 18'skip.

We also built 2 65' boats that had 2 -3208-jets that moved well also.

Along with 1- 45' cigar that had 2-fully synchronized 429 big block's 2 small bunk rooms, full galley with head with full shower in bow would scream. Like you said , would throw a rooster tail into the air over 70', and would scare you to death on the Ohio.( name- Bullet II )

This pic here is on the Ohio going up from Louisville, the wake was so bad that it washed boats up on docks:eek:oooh:, and he Paid dearly for that one Big Time.

But anyway I just wanted you guys to see this boat here with the jets.I took a pic off of a business card that had his personal info on it and cropped the pic out,,Company name was weist Industries, Boats name, Nu Tronic 1,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009