My first grappling trip

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by TNcat, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Well went on my first Catfish Grabbling adventure yesterday. Am I hurting a little today????? YES!!!! But WOW what an awesome day...it was unbeliveable. I called the guys I was going with to let them know I was going to be about 10 minutes late, and they wouldn't tell me what it was but they kept telling me that they had a treat for me, a surprise if you will. Well when I got to their house they informed me that we were going to be fishing today with a real local catfishing legend, and they began telling me a little about this fellow, and I was pumped just knowing we would get on some fish, and man was my hunch right. We got to the lake and rode for a while, and we got out near a boat dock, and the fishing was on. The first spot the wise old Catman said that there was one under there. After 45 minutes of feeling the fish with the pole and then getting a hook into him, he eased him while the fish was fighting to the edge of the hole and then went and got him, it was awesome!!!!! 1st spot of the day, 1st fish of the day a 12 LB Flattie. Iam stoked at this point, I stopped videoing and taking still pics and just had to try it. 15 minutes after I picked up the pole, I began searching for a hole and then BLAM!!!!!! This Cat knocked the CRAP out of this thing and it scared me so bad I allmost dropped a Chalupa in my pants "sorry maybe too much info". We were unable to catch this fish but about three hours later I got my chance. While feeling out this hole with a Pole I got a great hit, and was able to hook him in the mouth while swimming in a deep hole. With a 14 foot pole in one , and swimming slash treading water with the other arm. I was able to keep him on, he was rolling and fighting for all he was worth while help came. I was able to somehow ease the fish to the edge of the hole while swimming with the pole and one of the guys got the lead hook in him, and he was mine. Not a bad cat at all 18 LB Flat. Now they were laughing at me because I was so pumped that I was going insane. What a great day on the water. I t was great, I met some great people, I got to learn alot about a primitive yet exciting way to catch the fish I love, and got to keep all of my fingers, hands, toes, feet, arms, legs, etc,etc. I only wound up with sunburn, multiple knots, and cuts on my shins, and some abrasions , and one hole in my hand from one of the hooks......... I can't wait to go again, it was great, all the people I was with were knowlegeable, and very commited to teaching me this great technique, and Iam very thankful to them. We caught 4 fish, they were 7,12,18,28 pounds. The last pic is me and my first ever Grabbling Flathead.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa269/TNcatman/GrapplingPicsJun907002.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa269/TNcatman/GrapplingPicsJun907004.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa269/TNcatman/GrapplingPicsJun907010.jpg

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    them are some nice fish. yall have to come to kansas and we will put you on the bigguns

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Those are some nice fish. I am going to have to try that one day. I just don't know anyone that does it in my area.

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    They use to be some RP but I dont see it anymore. The waterways around here arnt as well suited for it(the ones that hold good cats anyway). What few people I know still do it, do it for turtles in creeks.

5. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Please explain what you are talking about?? Thanks

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Ben, the technique incorporates severale diffrent techniques all in one. First having someone who knows where the fish are always helps. Then you take poles, they can be made of wood,or aluminum, preferably wood so they will float, and place a large 15 ALT hook at the end and secure it with a couple of bolts and duck tape for added extra support, and wrap the end of the pole just prior to the end with black electrical tape, this makes the fish think it could be a snake. These poles vary in length from 4ft-14ft, due to the wide variety of diffrent depths of the holes. Then when you find the prefered area, "places with large rocks", you take the pole and you start feeling around under the water for holes or crevices in the rock and when you find one that is big enough to hold a fish you start probing the hole with the pole until you either feel something that feels like a piece of rubber or something just knocks the thing silly and shakes it. At that point you know you got a fish there, and when he hits it and shakes it you push the pole foward and then pull back hopeing that you hook the fish in the mouth, then the fight is on. You start very slowly trying to ease the fish to the opening of the hole and then either you or another person takes a rope that has another 15 ALT hook on it " this is called the lead hook"and you go to the fish and get your hand inside its mouth and you hook the fish through the lip and pull the hook all the way through and then grab both ends of the rope and pull the fish out. There are times where when you are hooking the fish with the lead hook that you have to go under the water to do this. I have only been once but intend on going again with those guys this weekend. I would suggest if you are intrested in doing this find someone with experience and go with them, this type of fishing is not intended to be done alone. Hope this helps.

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Man you got me all jacked up now!! Will have to call my brother this week and try it out this weekend!!!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Each state that allows "hand fishing" has different laws. I would encourage you to read up on your states regulations to see if it is allowed and under what circumstances it is allowed. In Oklahoma, you are limited to your hands. Any thing else is a violation and they will cite you. You can use a willow or salt water tamarack to locate the fish, but after that its Mano-Mano. LOL

Here is the word in a nutshell.

NOODLING: Noodling is the taking of nongame fish only by use of hands only. Possession of hooks, gaffs, spears, poles or ropes with hooks attached while in the act of noodling shall be proof of violation of the “hands only” noodling law. Noodling shall be lawful year-round in all waters unless restricted un­der “SPECIAL AREA REGULATIONS.”

9. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Here are the laws in my state concerning this, it is located on page 28of this years TN state fishing guidelines:
    Grabbling, Gigging, Grab Hooks, Snagging,
    Tubbing, Archery, Crossbow, Speargun,
    Dipping And Cast Netting
    Nongame fish, except paddlefish, may be taken without
    limit; game fish, except catfish, may not be taken. Season
    open year round in all waters except:

A.
    where closed to fishing or expressly prohibited.
    B.

within 100 yards below dams. At Pickwick Dam
    the closed area extends downstream to the first
    moorage cell across from ramp.
    C.

at John Sevier Steam Plant the discharge channel is
    closed.
    B

and C do not apply to cast netting or dipping.
    Cast nets

must be no more than 10 feet in radius with a
    mesh size no smaller than one quarter inch, and no
    larger than one inch on the square.
    Gigging

is prohibited in Bedford, Giles, Hickman,
    Lawrence, Lewis, Marshall, Maury, and Wayne
    counties. Snagging, grabbling, grabhooks, tubbing,
    archery, speargun, dipping,
    and cast nets are legal
    methods in these counties.
    Gigging

is closed on the East Fork of the Obey River
    and its tributaries from Jan. 1 - Apr. 30.
    Snagging

is prohibited year round on the South Holston
    tailwater (from South Holston Dam to the headwaters
    of Boone Reservoir), Center Hill Reservoir, and the
    Cumberland Fossil Plant discharge channel into
    Barkley Reservoir.
    Grabbling, gigging, grab hooks, snagging, tubbing,
    archery, crossbow, speargun and dipping is prohibited
    on the following waters from Jan. 1–Apr.
    30:
    •

Norris Reservoir - between River Mile 32 (Point 15)
    and the Highway 25E Bridge on the Powell River arm
    and between River Mile 137 (Point 31) and the
    Highway 25E Bridge on the Clinch River arm
    • Elk River in Carter County - from the Highway 321
    Bridge downstream to River Mile 3.0 (Point 11) on
    the Elk River arm of Watauga Reservoir
    • Doe Creek - Old Cabin Private Road downstream to
    Roan Creek
    • Roan Creek - Mountain Lakes Estates Bridge
    downstream to Doe Creek.
    • Watauga River - NC state line downstream to end of
    Cownstown Road

These laws can also be looked up on the net here at this link for the TN regulations:http://www.state.tn.us/twra/07fish.pdf

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like you had fun bud. we would love to see your videos when you compile enough to post!

11. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Noodling NO HOOKS NO BAIT NO FEAR:big_smile:

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I will just use My rod and reel. thanks for sharing.

13. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    Id like to find a place up here in Va. to try that out, sounds like a blast.. Ive always seen people do it on TV but never seen it done...

14. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
  15. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Me being from Oklahoma like two other guys on this this thread and being an avid noodler myself I have a strong opinion on this subject.
    USING HOOKS IS CHEATING!
    I'm not trying to offend anyone but you guys should try it with just your hands. Its a whole different kind of accomplishment to take on the fish in his world and win.

16. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    I AM WITH WILL ON THIS HE IN OKLAHOMA THE USE THEN ANTHING OTHER THEN UR HANDS IS AGAINST THE LAW AND AM GLAD FOR THAT.BECAUSE NOT TO MANY HAS THE @#*&% FOR THAT AND CUTS DN ON THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT DO IT.I HEAR ALL KINDS OF STORYS,LESS SEE U GOT HAND FISHERMEN,U GOT PEOPLE THAT USE TELEPHONES,HOOP NETS,SPEAR FISHINGMEN,ECT ECT....TAKE FLATS OUT OF ARE RIVERS THERE IS NO TELLING HOW MANY FLATHEADS A YR ARE TAKIN OUT OF OUR RIVERS.OH AND LIMB LINES TROTLINES.IF IT WAS ROD & REEL ONLY MAN YOU WOULD HAVE ALOT OF FLATHEADS HERE.THIS BEING SAID AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL I FEEL LIKE IT IS EACH TO HIS OWN AND CONGRATS ON THE FISH U CAUGHT
    BUT TRY IT JUST STICKY UR HANDS UP IN THAT HOLE AND HE WILL BIGHT DN ON UR HAND INSID OF THAT STICK AND WAIT TELL U GET A 50LB BLUE ON THE END OF UR HAND CULLS THE MEN FROM THE BOYS,I KNOW I HAVE TRIED IT I AM A BOY LOL,GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Word has it that "NOODLIN WILL" has just placed a request with the moderators to change his BOC name to "Three Fingered Willie".:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dothey practice C.P.R just would like to know.thanks Sam Davis

sam Davis

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sam some catch em just to let em go, some are in it for the eating, same as everybody else. looks like a blast, although not legal where i live.

20. steemboatwv

steemboatwv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    congrats on your first run of it, took me a few try's out to get anything worth talking about.