My first gobbler

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KittenFishin, Apr 6, 2006.

1. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Well I got my first turkey this week. Me and my boyfriend got up early Monday morning and went by boat. We heard him gobble and before we could even get set up he was on the ground and running towards us. Trey called a few times and it started to rain. It took about 15 minutes of him strutting about 20 yards from me until I had an open shot. A hen started calling from the other side of the lake and on his way to check her out I got an open shot. He weighed about 18lbs, had 1 inch spurs, and had a 9 1/2 inch beard. After I killed him Trey got on another gobbler. But it was raining so hard we couldn't hear where he was. He tried to sneak up on him but he spooked and he flew across the lake. Maybe we'll get him another morning. I would post a picture but I haven't posted enough times to be able to upload pictures. I'll upload one as soon as I can.

2. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Here is the picture

Attached Files:

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrats on the tom. its got to be exciting to hear one coming in.

4. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congragulations on your first big Tom.:) Go out and get another one in the morning. I hunt off a boat a couple times a year and it is a blast.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats! I cant wait to get my first one this year since I have never really turkey hunted. Congrats on the nice bird though!

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Congrats on the bird! Keep em coming in, ill tell ya a good way to try that, is cut the breast off it, and batter them up in egg, then flour, salt, pepper, then fry them in the skillet. One of the better ways i have tryed it. I like it better than baking.

7. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Yea Turkey Nuggets!! Really good!!! That is usually the only way i eat the breast... Do you know any other good ways to fix them?

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    What a fine first bird. Hope its the beginning of many good seasons. Remember the bug spray. Lyme disease can ruin a season and maybe more. I love a light rain when hunting. Really brings the game out.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good Job girl

Danny

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Good job! I killed my 1st deer last year, so I kind of know how you feel.
    I haven't turkey hunted yet, but look forward to trying it! :)

Eric

11. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Thanks for the good advice everyone! We were going to go again this morning but it was pouring down rain. I do want to start learning how to call. That is my next step!

12. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Good job! thats a great bird :)