My First Flathead

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, May 29, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have recently got into fishing the local creeks and rivers for flatheads and blues. I am by all means a newbie and still pretty clueless on how to find and catch the big fish. But thanks to members here I am learning more and more. I decided to go to Millrace park in columbus, many thanks to BigCatKev for detailed info on fishing there, to fish the East Fork of the White River. I went to the park pond and caught a dozen or so bluegills then headed over to the river around 9pm. After setting up one pole and casting it out I went to work on the other pole. I looked up and the pole I casted was doubling over. I yelled at my girlfriend thinking she was messing with the line or something, I am kind of a pessimist lately pertaining to fishing. I grabbed the pole after realizing it was indeed a fish and reeled in a 8-10lb flathead. Up until now the only catfish I have ever caught were channels. Being a pessimist I left the camera at home, and also the scale by accident. So I used my cell phone camera. It is not a good picture but you can clearly see his head. I was very excited and started thinking about all I have been learning from this site and how it was begining to pay off. This was the only one I caught and the only bite I had so maybe it was a fluke but it was exciting and I cannot wait to catch some more. So thanks to all here for their advice and tips and genuine desire to help us new guys out.

Attached Files:

2. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    way to go. you got your first out of the way.

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats, on the flat and good luck more to come.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Now TWO just got hooked!!

Congrats

:wink:

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You got Flathead Fever now my friend...welcome. Congrats, that's a nice one to start off on.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    nice start hope you catch more soon

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats Kris...you are hooked for life.:006:

Good luck fishing in 2008!!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    congrats on your first flathead!!! hopefully you will catch many more. :big_smile::big_smile:

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    nice fish...now if i could get ahold of one:cool2:

10. Brutom

Brutom New Member

State:
    Cumberland Indiana
    Congrats on your catch!

Nice Fish!

11. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey glad the info worked for you. Anytime you need help just let me no and I'm shure i can show you plenty. Congrats!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on the first one bro. now you know why we chase them so diligently! dang things can fight cant they. lol

13. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on the first flattie, you'll now being trying to always one up your personal best!

Glad you've been able to learn so much from the BOC, there is definitely no shortage of people who are willing to help out.

14. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice Fish !

If a flathead wants it he going to take. These fish are true sport fish and are a lot of fun to pursue. Good luck on your next outing.

Mike

15. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Nice fish! Put your hand in his mouth and hold it up next time. There mouths are awesome! You'll be hooked now.Better warn your girlfriend because it becomes a habit. Pretty soon thats all you'll be talking about.

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on your first flatheat Kris