My first Flathead!!

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RonSki, Jul 1, 2007.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught my very first flathead last night, and my very second too!! The river was the lowest I've ever seen it, bottomed out twice looking for a spot. I found the biggest snag in about a 3 mile stretch that was about 11 feet deep. Most of the river now was less than 3. About 10:30 the clicker goes off a little, I pick up the rod. It goes a little more, I engage the reel. Then it just takes off and I'm somewhat surprised there's something really solid on! This fish fought really hard, went for shore, I think it went through some branches but I remember to not give them anything. So I get the fish in my big Beckman musky net and I'm hooping & hollering like crazy! I can't believe it! It was like that Christmas M&M commercial, "They DO exist!" I was really nice to my new friend, took a picture & let him swim off. About 1:30, I can't keep my eyes open anymore & I'm trying to decide if I'm going to sleep in the boat or try to drive home when the clicker goes off again. I knew it would, I had 1 rock bass and the whole time that sucker was out there it was testing the clicker. It went off a little more than the usual three clicks that the rock bass was doing by itslef but I wan't sure if it was a fish or not. So I just reacjed down & picked up the line so I could feel what's going on and I feel BONK, wiggle wiggle wiggle. I picked up the rod & flip the reel over & the fish picks it up again & starts steadily moving away so I stick 'em. This one went all over, tried to get into my other line and the anchor rope. But man do these fish fight hard! I've caught big channels, big muskies, and big salmon, but for sheer pulling power, these things kick butt!! I don't know how people can even catch them when they get to 40 pounds, let alone bigger! So after I caught that one, I left cause that was the deal. I was saying to myself when I coudn't stay awake that if I caught another one, I'd go home. My first 2 fish on the first night I really tried, I can go home very satisfied. This is definitely my cup of tea!!
    " I found my special purpose!!" :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Congrats on 2 great fish! Now you are hooked like the rest of us, lol. welcome to the dark side.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Nice fish. I'm glad you finally got to land a couple. Hope you catch more.

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Congrats on the nice fish.

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Nice job, and nice pics!
    Did you weigh them?
    I guess another person has been infected with Flathead Fever, the disease that has only one cure- more flatheads!
    Just keep letting them go so there's more for next time!

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ron welcome to the BOC and congrats on your flatheads. What made you fish for the flatheads sounds like your a musky fisherman and seen the musky hunter hat.

7. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Congrats on the flatheads.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Caught my first one a little while ago. Just a dink compared to yours. Isn't it the most awesome experience? I love it. I'm hooked on these guys like ya wouldn't believe. These folks on this forum helped give me the knowledge to do it.

9. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone, I can see I'll be doing this for a while!
    Tony, I weighed the first one at almost 14 pounds, did not weigh the second one but it was a little bigger, maybe 16 or so.
    Mark, You're right. I fish for muskies when the water's not too hot, but I was looking for something big to catch when I wasn't musky fishing. It works out good too, same rods, reels & line. All I had to get was hooks & sinkers. Both of those fish fought harder than any muskie I've ever caught, but I won't give them up either!

Rock Bass rule!!:wink:

10. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Welcome to the BOC, Nice flatheads you got there.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on a great catch!!! :big_smile:

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Ron, and congrats on your first and second flathead now the Fun Really Begins.