My first fishing trip to the Mississippi river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rusty, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I always wanted to fish the mighty Mississippi river, but never had.
    My wife and I planed a trip to LaGrange Mo. I found this web sight the BOC. I learned a lot about fishing the Mississippi here and met two ppl on here from the area and they told me they would help me to learn the river. Jason Kaylor from LaGrange Mo. and John Surgeon from Louisiana Mo. when we arrived Jason came down and went with us to show us how and where to catch some shad. Guess what.. it started to rain. It rained off and on the rest of the day. didn't catch many fish. the next day we started out to fish and guess what... it started to rain again. it rained off and on all that day. didn't catch many fish but I am starting to learn the river. Started out Tuesday morning. and sure enough it raining again. Around noon we go back to camp because we need to wash some clothe, they are all wet because of all the rain. Tuesday evening the clouds disappear and we do catch a few fish. Wed. morning we head out to fish, its a beautiful day. we are catching a few fish now, I don't know if its because of the sunshine or I am learning where and how to catch them. Thursday morning , another beautiful day I hook my first good fish. a 15 lb flat. This has made the trip worth while. That day we caught a 15,9,5,lb flat and a 7 lb channel and numerous other smaller cats. Jason went with us that evening we caught a few more cats. You know Jason is the best I ever seen at hooking good fish and quick releasing them just before I can get them in the net. ha ha. Friday, my son Kevin arrives and the wind is out of the south today, its blowing hard enough that their are 3 foot waves on the river. We can't tell if we are getting bites or if its just the waves tugging on the line. Sat. the wind is still blowing. John shows up and we decide to go eat some breakfast before going out and fighting that wind. we do catch a few small cats. Sunday morning. Jason and two of his fishing Buddy's meet us at the dock at 05:30 we catch bait and head out . Guess what? Yep it starts raining again. We catch a few fish and its time to head home. All in all it was a great trip. My wife and I are already planning a trip back next year. Some of the locals want us to come back every week or two so they can get some rain. lol.

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Sounds like you had a great trip
    Rusty. Caught some nice fish too, that's icing on the cake. Glad some BOC brothers were close enough to help you get started. Great bunch of people here for sure. I used to fish the Mississippi a lot when I lived in Iowa, but it's pretty much all the Missouri River now. It's a lot closer to home . No complaints though, I love both these great rivers.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I remember the 1st time i got to fish the mississippi river:tounge_out: I bagged a 20lb pure white river on the first cast:crazy: Man it was great.....Glad ya had some fun...

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish the Mississippi river about 30 miles north of Lagrange, and have pretty good luck. I wish I had known you all were in Lagrange, I have a Mo license and would like the opportunity to visit with other BOCers. Later Andy

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Now Rusty if anyone taught you anything about the Mississippi it was Jason. About all I did was hang on to the boat or hold the umbrella to try and stay dry:roll_eyes: . Did enjoy myself, and you forgot to mention the great meal you and your wife fixed Sat night. fried fish,Tator salad,Deviled eggs etc .Yum,Yum Good. And I did learn how to throw a bait cast net thanks to your boy Kevin.Thanks Kevin. Hope to see you all again soon.GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE!! REALLY ENJOYED MYSELF!!

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey Andy, My Wife and I are already planing a trip back to the same area next year maybe we can hook up then. we might even try it again later on this year .. Never know what we may do. If Jason hollers and says they are really biting we may go over for a weekend.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi MRR and Rusty, I sure would like to meet up with you next time. I have a grandson who lives in Canton Mo. so I'm in and out of there all of the time. Yes MRR, I do live in Keokuk, and I fish up at the dam a lot. I am disabled so I don't have a work schedule, and can get away most of the time. Well got to go. Later Andy

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a great time I grew up a south of there around where Mrr is from and make it back up there a few times a year. It is an awesome place to fish and I'm glad those guys showed you the ropes.

10. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Speakin' of firsts...

First post as well as first trip to the Mississippi this weekend, I hope. A friend and myself are planning to go Friday but really haven't "accessed" a good ramp as of yet. MDC and ACE haven't really been much help. Looks like I have located a pretty good resource here so maybe someone here has some few tips/pointers as to a good starter access on the river. We've been told Rush Island is okay... ??? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Rush island is a pretty good place to put in at, and has some phenomenal fishing. I routinely fish in that area, but I put in at a private ramp up in Festus/Crystal City, and run down with the boat. You will find a multitude of wing dykes around there, as well as some creek tributaries. Just south of the ramp at Rush Island is a steam discharge and you can usually find bait there. Concentrate on the illinois side of the river for the catfish. If you run 5 miles or more north, you can catch some fish on the Missouri Side too. Also, there is a grain loading dock just north of the ramp there on the Illinois side and you can catch some blues there right now as they have been loading the barges. Welcome to the BOC and glad to have you on board. Let me know if you have any questions with that area as I fish it alot, and live right there in DeSoto. Good Luck. Cuz

12. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another quick question if you don't mind. I was reading an article concerning the number of poles allowed. Does it mean 2 per person? Or can you have more in the boat and just not use them? Or what? Don't want any infractions. :wink:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    You can have as many poles as you want in the boat but your only allowed to use 2 per personon the Missouri,Mississippi Rivers or any of thier tributarys.Best of luck on your fishing trip.Keep us posted as to how you did. And some pictures. Hope this bit of info helps out.

14. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    HI Tom, I'm Tom too, welcome to the greatest sight for cat's and information.
    I believe you want to know how many pole's you can use at one time.
    Two unlabled pole's From pools 20 through 26. Then out of these areas. You can have two unlabled poles. Then every pole after your two have to have a durable lable with your name and address on them. I believe it's up to 32 hook's. This would include, limb lines, trout lines, minnow traps, bank lines, jug lines etc. etc. ! Watch the limit's this year of aggerate possessions. Now this information is for the Mississippi River. I'm not sure about inland lakes, ponds or resivores. Snaggin is open now for non-game fish until Dec. 15. Such as carp and gar.
    Check it out on line with www.missouriconservation.org.

15. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So if we put in at Rush Island, 2 poles per person in the water. Correct? Thanks in advance.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If you place a lable on your rods with name, address, and phone number you can have up to 32 fishing rods. If they are unlabled, 2 is correct. Most people use an address label and put some clear tape over the top of it. Works gr8 n last a long time. Just thought of something. On the Illinois side downstream from Rush Island the Flats have been biting extremely good. You will find only 1 vertical dyke on this section of the river. Put a live greenback on a carolina rig and fish halfway up the vertical dyke on the slack water side. We have taken flats off of that wall last three outings. My bud just caught one 66 pounds. We through everything back so they should still be there. Also, just south of that vertical dyke, there are several dykes with lots of wood and beaver dams on the back end of the dykes and we have been catching lots of flats on them as well. Try n hit the areas behind dykes that have water running into them during high water conditions. These seem to be best. Good Luck.

17. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry to be beating a dead cat but I'm still a little confused. If all poles are labeled, how many can be baited and in the water per person, 2 or 3 or ??? I would have sent a private message but being I'm a newbie here, it wouldn't let me. I'm trying to get over a cold so maybe the liquid nyquil diet is got me loopy.:embarassed:

BTW - is there a place to clean fish around there?

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    From 3 CS 10-6.410 Fishing Methods:

Put a label with your name and address on each pole and you can use more poles than you can reasonably manage.

Without a label, it's 2 poles.

19. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    One body = two fishing poles, with one hook on each pole. without being labeled with that persons name, address and phone number.
    If a person is using more than 2 poles or more than one hook on each pole, these poles need to have a label on the pole with the name of the person using the poles, plus their address and phone number.

You know whats a good thing for me to do ?

I have labeled all my poles, with my name , address and phone number.
    I made labels with my printer. Cut them out. Then used clear shipping tape or cellafane tape to put the labels on my poles. Then that way if I loose a pole to the monster that I've been fishing for and it takes my pole. Then someone else snags it while they are fishing. They can let me know about it and I won't be out and about telling lie's about the fish that almost pulled me into the river when I was actually sleeping:lol: .
    It is easier to label all your poles. Then add up your hooks.
    The most you can have altogether is 33 hooks on the Mississippi. If you want more than this, then you should be looking at commercial fishing regulations. Other than that, bring your 4 labled poles all to the river and don't worry! Just get busy and have fun!:cool2:. OH! And that is per person!

20. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    sounds like you all had a fun an wet trip but it turned out for the best thanks for sharing