My first fall turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by splitshot, Oct 1, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Today was our fall season opener for turkey. This is the first time ive ever hunted turkey in the fall. My buddy Dan and i got these two nice toms less than an hour after getting in the woods. My tom had a 6 and a half in beard with one inch spurs and weighed in at 17 lbs. Dans bird had a 10 inch beard, with one and a half in spurs and weighed 18.5 lbs. We had set up on a grassy knoll in the middle of a old sand pit. 30 minutes later eight birds came out of the woods and headed our way. Dan was on my right so he took the lead bird which was to far to my right to shoot at. I shot the second bird which was to my left. Both birds went down at the same time. here are some pictures for ya.

View attachment 30812

View attachment 30813

View attachment 30814

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Way to go Steve! A good opening day is always great.

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    sweet some nice look'n beards there congrats to you and your buddie .
    i like that tree bark camo your wear'n !

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    yum, looks like someone's gonna have some turkey meals!!!!

5. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats!!! Fall birds are a great accomplishment. Beautiful birds!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gongrats on your sucess,Steve. aint nothin like a wild turkey smoked mmmmm.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Way to go!!! A fall bird is one heck of accomplishment!!! Kudo's to you!!! You should be proud of your feat. My hunting hat is tipped to you!

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Congrats on the long beards. I'm just starting to learn turkey hunting. It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

9. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh Big B, it really isn't hard. The NWTF site has a lot of good information, as well as the internet. There are some great people on the BOC that are more than happy to help out as well. A few years ago I didnt' know anything about turkey, but I wanted to hunt them in the worse way, of course I didnt have the BOC then. But I searched the internet, learned the different calls and recorded them so I could mimic them in my spare time. I didn't know the difference in a tom/jake/hen. Let alone what the sounds they made ment. But I studied them, both on the net and found a group that I could sit in my car and watch their behavior. Totally awesome birds. Anyway that was about 4 years ago. My first year out, I shot my first bird and got my son in postition to get his first bird. I have also taken a fall bird. As well as called in birds for my husband. Turkey hunting isn't really hard, the biggest secret to hunting them is to always remain still. They have better eyesight then a hawk. Good luck, and once you get out there and hear one gobble in the spring, you will be hooked!