My first ever flathead and PB catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BajaCoop, May 14, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Well I went out fishing at St. Johns Bayou like I normally do 2-3 days during the week after i get done with work. I had been fishing for about 3 hours with limited success 1 drum and 1 gar and lots of bites that i kept missing(probably those dang gar). But at about 7 o'clock (right as I was getting ready to call it and go home I got a good hard bite, I set the hook and was surprised that there was actually something there( I had fed the gar about 2 shad already and only managed to hook one). At first I figured it would be a drum like is has been every other time until I pulled a big ugly head with whiskers outta the water.

All said and done a nice 8 pound flathead my first ever flathead and biggest catfish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    WAY TO GO ED!!!!! Congrats on your catch and new Personal Best!!! I must admit...I am a bit jealous:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: I have YET to catch a catfish this YEAR!!!!!!!:eek:oooh: :embarassed: :eek:oooh: :embarassed: and I have NEVER caught a flathead on rod n reel!

Good Job!

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Congrats on the catch. Nice little flatty you got there! It becomes an addiction so I am sure you will get into many more!

Thanks for the pictures

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice job Ed. I'm betting the water temps are getting real close to the 70 mark. :wink:

5. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Way to go Ed! Now you dun went and got addicted! The only cure is to catch more!

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice Fish.. Some say where there are gar, get out of there. Others say to fish below them as there will be catfish eating a free meal from the blood trails.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    BajaCoop

Nice PB Flattie and welcome to gettin hooked on them thar Mississippi Cats!!

For what its worth: Up here in NE Ohio on the "Big River" I get approx 80% of my Yellows on cut Shad when they will only peck @ the baits ("Lite-Bite") and will not run with it.

:misdoubt:

8. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I was supprised that it was a flathead on the cut shad since everything I have heard is that they like live bait.

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

VERY NICE FISH......BEST FLAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR THIS YEAR. NICE JOB BC

10. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Awesome Ed. Way to go. I have yet to catch a flatty this year on Rod n Reel. I usually catch a 20 or 30 lber every year on cut bait while fishing for Blues. I'm still waiting... LOL

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It is a little unusual but not unheard of. The smaller flats will sometimes take cut baits, but fairly rare to hear big ones doin it. Who cares as long as they are BITING:lol:

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey ed how far is that from st. louis

13. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
  14. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    Nice Catch Ed........Congrats!!!!

15. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    nice fish keep em coming

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your new PB flattie.Also thanks for sharing the good pics.:lol: :smile2:

17. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I appreciate all the thanks guys.