Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

My first ever flathead and PB catfish

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  BajaCoop 
#1 ·
Well I went out fishing at St. Johns Bayou like I normally do 2-3 days during the week after i get done with work. I had been fishing for about 3 hours with limited success 1 drum and 1 gar and lots of bites that i kept missing(probably those dang gar). But at about 7 o'clock (right as I was getting ready to call it and go home I got a good hard bite, I set the hook and was surprised that there was actually something there( I had fed the gar about 2 shad already and only managed to hook one). At first I figured it would be a drum like is has been every other time until I pulled a big ugly head with whiskers outta the water.

All said and done a nice 8 pound flathead my first ever flathead and biggest catfish.

See less See more
#2 ·
WAY TO GO ED!!!!! Congrats on your catch and new Personal Best!!! I must admit...I am a bit jealous:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: I have YET to catch a catfish this YEAR!!!!!!!:eek:oooh: :embarassed: :eek:oooh: :embarassed: and I have NEVER caught a flathead on rod n reel!

Good Job!

#3 ·
Congrats on the catch. Nice little flatty you got there! It becomes an addiction so I am sure you will get into many more!

Thanks for the pictures

#7 ·
BajaCoop

Nice PB Flattie and welcome to gettin hooked on them thar Mississippi Cats!!

For what its worth: Up here in NE Ohio on the "Big River" I get approx 80% of my Yellows on cut Shad when they will only peck @ the baits ("Lite-Bite") and will not run with it.

:misdoubt:

#9 ·
Well I went out fishing at St. Johns Bayou like I normally do 2-3 days during the week after i get done with work. I had been fishing for about 3 hours with limited success 1 drum and 1 gar and lots of bites that i kept missing(probably those dang gar). But at about 7 o'clock (right as I was getting ready to call it and go home I got a good hard bite, I set the hook and was surprised that there was actually something there( I had fed the gar about 2 shad already and only managed to hook one). At first I figured it would be a drum like is has been every other time until I pulled a big ugly head with whiskers outta the water.

All said and done a nice 8 pound flathead my first ever flathead and biggest catfish.

VERY NICE FISH......BEST FLAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR THIS YEAR. NICE JOB BC

#11 ·
I was supprised that it was a flathead on the cut shad since everything I have heard is that they like live bait.
It is a little unusual but not unheard of. The smaller flats will sometimes take cut baits, but fairly rare to hear big ones doin it. Who cares as long as they are BITING:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.