My First Encounter W/ Asian Carp

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by pabloracer4748, Nov 15, 2009.

1. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well today a had a very interesting trip on the river near lawrence kansas. I went to a fishing hole that is adjacent to a rock jetty and all of a sudden a fish jumped into the side of the boat. Then one jumped behind, then one in front, then pretty soon they were popping out like popcorn everywhere around me. They were even jumping onto shore and banging into rocks. I couldnt believe my eyes. I have never even caught one at this spot before, although I never really tried to. I think it was either the sound of the motor or the wake I made with my boat. But it was so interesting I just kept circling the area and the fiasco continued. I was hoping one would jump in the boat so I could take a closer look at one. These have to be the stupidest fish ive ever seen. How can such a dumb fish figure out how to breed up such a large population. It seemed to me I hit a big school of them or something. I wish I had it on video. When they plunged themselves into the rocks on the jetty you could here there big heads pounding the rocks. UNBELIEVABLE. They appeared to be in the range of 7-11lbs. I could only imagine what would have happened if one hit me in the head doin 35mph down the river.:crazy:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Looks like more numbers are moving up the KS river.
    They do suck and pose a serious danger to fisherman. Slow idle speeds in a backwater area seem to get them jumpin the most.

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    They are a very neat looking fish!!!but at least you didnt get nailed in the n^!$ because i have seen some videos on youtube of guys getting hit when man shouldnt get hit and in the head and all over!!!i cant immagine the speed of the fish if they can launch them selves out of the water like that!!!

4. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are all around here too. Idle around and blip the throttle and it gets them going around here. The best thing about them is they make decent cut bait for blues.

5. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was in a slack water area adjacent to a deep hole off a rock wing dyke. I was doing Idle speed and also blipping throttle to scare them. So I concor with all of your observations on what gets them going.