My first catfish rod and reel.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by weebrio, Jun 12, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have just bought a Zebco 808 LE combo. on it is written Autentic series.
    I bought it at Acedemy for about $28 not the most I could have spent but not the least either.
    It looks fine to me and I hope to put it to good use soon.

I have read quite a bit about the Zebco 808 reel but have not really found any thing about the rod, it is a med/heavy action seven foot two peice rod.
    Has any one got one of these combos and how did it do?

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well first off hello . I am not familiar with the combo but the 808 is a very good reel as far as spin casting reels go , with out knowing its intended use its hard to say if its adequate . But i will say many a large fish have been landed on these reels . a couple of things to remember is to let the equipment do its job . use the reels drag and remember the the rod is not a fulcrum for lifting the fish , and another thing on the spincaster never ever reel while the drag is working , the line will twist like you would not believe and it will almost need to be changed immediately if not sooner .

3. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks for that tip about reeling while the drag is working, it may save me some greif.

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Any time if i can save someone or anyone the grief i went through along the way it will be a pleasure for me and a lot more fun for you . welcome home to the BROTHERHOOD OF CATFISHERMAN youre amongst friends now relax and enjoy .

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I just bought my wife a 808 for 22.00 and a 8ft mh action rod ol wiskers series for 17 and she seams to like it well. She hasnt caught anything on it yet but maybe she will this weekend. Good luck with yours and let us know how you do.

6. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I will do that, it may be a while but I will do that.

7. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Here we are, I caught six today in a pond in San Antonio Texas.
    All of them were about this size.

[​IMG]

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE GOT YOURSELF A VERY GOOD SET UP.

9. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    sounds and looks like the real deal to me. the proof is in the pudding and you have the proof. Good post thanks

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the new equipment. That is an excellent spincast outfit. I think you will like it.If you have trouble with line twist (as in another post) you can take an old phone book are large catalog, and run your line through the center and reel up slow to take out the twist. Or from a boat, you can let your line all out with a small swivel on the end and slowly reel it all back on. I hope this will help.:smile2:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now that is the perfect size catfish to invite home for dinner.Welcome & congratulations on gear and catch.I love you Brother and Sisters.peewee

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California

That's a very good size for eating. Thanks for sharing the picture.

-- Rich

13. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    First Welcome to the BOC

Second-
    is this the combo with the "boss hog" rod, if so then yes it is good, my brother had one, and has since used the rod with a very large baitcaster, and now my mom uses the reel, I would recomend some 15lb big game, or cajun.... youll catch some bigguns

14. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    that phone book trick sounds good, I;ll have to give that a try.:wink: