My first catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by DM1975, Apr 28, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    So I just made my first dip bait... I had some shad sides in a jar from last week that I had forgotten about in my boat so I decided to try a little experiment. I mixed in some chicken liver, corn meal, and cheese and blended it all up to a fine mush. I have yet to use it but I am going to take it out tonight and see if it will work. What do you guys think? Anything I chould have done different? Or do you think it will be a hopeless cause? Thanks.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds good. You might want to take some peanut butter and this will give you a thicker and sticker mix. Let us know how it works.:lol: :big_smile:

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Stinkey, Stinkey, Stinkey. Good Luck:roll_eyes:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds Yucky to me so it oughta sound like dinner to a catfish! Good Luck with it and let us know how it works for you.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I added about six cotton balls to thicken it up. I have it chiling right now and if it is still too thin I will add some peanut butter after I get a new blender :smile2: I burnt mine up making this stuff.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    If it wont stay on the hook id bet it would make good chum!!

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Good idea. I think that is what it will probably be used for in the end but I will try it.

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    add corn starch to it for body, add a little at a time corn starch goes along ways.
    Loop

9. CatfishUgly

CatfishUgly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you might try throwing in a little bit of hair. it will make it stick better and last longer in case you dont cast right on top if one. let me know how it works out for you.

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks, yeah, I added some cotton balls to it to thicken it to help it hold but did not get a chance to use it. It was so hot out at the lake that while on the boat I heard a pop. Turned out it blew the lif off of the jar and all of the stuff came out. Lucky for me I had the jar in a ziplock bag. that crap realy stank. I ended up just useing it as chum but unfortunately I did not end up fishing in the same area I chummed. Oh well. I think my bait making days are over for now :smile2:

11. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Forgot to tell ya only fill the containers half full and leave the lid loose because it will make gas and blow up :lol:
    Loop

12. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks... :tounge_out:

13. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I still have well over a gallon of my first bait that I made in the fall:

First off, don't buy all this stuff at your local supermarket. Go to the next town so they don't recognize you. Be prepared to be followed home...upon arriving at your house, be prepared for your wife to send you back. :tounge_out:

Catfish Pate
    ------------
    2 qts chicken livers
    1 qt beef liver (mainly for blood)
    2 16oz canned mackerel
    1 tin sardines
    4 oz liver cheese
    4 oz limburger cheese
    8 oz head cheese
    3 oz garlic powder
    1.5 oz vanilla extract
    2 lbs maize flour
    1 package of strawberry jello
    1 box of corn starch to thicken

I manually separated the chicken livers with potato mashers and a glass bowl -- this was pretty time consuming, and in the end it looked like what I called "He!!'s Chili". After that, I pour in the ingredients into a SPARE blender (not for mixing drinks...lol) and blend in the ingredients until they're a filthy, rank, slightly-whipped liquid. Your kitchen will look like a crime scene. Once mixing up, you'll start adding corn starch 1 Tbsp at a time. Eventually, your blender will not be able to go much further. Scoop out what's in the mixer and hide from your wife. Apologize profusely to wife if discovered.

I've tried a couple things with this stuff (I had more than I needed). I've used some for chum, I've recently set some out in a mason jar to ferment/fester in the sun. It doesn't stink quite to the degree that I was hoping for, to be honest. As a new father, I've smelled stronger odors. :lol:

If kept refrigerated, it stays on a springless treble hook remarkably well...better than some commercial doughs that I've used. Once it gets too warm, you'll need to leave it uncovered for a spell to dry out some. Too dry, just add some water.

The only thing is that I tend to fish highly-pressured areas (from the bank, no less) and I've not caught more than five fish off the stuff. I haven't given up on it, but I do think I'll bass-o-matic up some shad in the next batch. Good luck if you try this recipe...and tell your wife and loved ones that I'm sorry. :lol: