My first catch

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jodster, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Let me start out by saying this was many years ago and I was in Michigan. The first animal I caught in a trap was a oppossum. I was so proud and my dad was going to show me how to skin it! When I told my dad I got something he was proud to until he found out what it was! He started out by having me call and find out if I could even sell it, then told me to ask what is was worth. I was told 2 dollars cleaned and streched and it had to be prime. My dad told me he would give me the 2 dollars to bury it in the backyard, then even offered me 5 dollars. I about cried and reminded him that he promised. he told me that they were the worst smelling, disease carrying, trash eating animals in the woods and he would rather clean a skunk. He ended up helping me clean it, gaging all the while we skinned it. I never forget it or my dad.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds like fun times for sure

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i wish my dad ever bothered to do anything with me

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    SOUNDS TO ME YOU HAD A VERY VERY GOOD DAD!

5. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Yes, he took me pheasant hunting for the first time , we kicked one up and I pulled and aimed as quick as I could. He turned to me and told me how proud he was of me for not shooting that hen. I don't know if I ever told him that about broke the trigger off, I didn't take the safety off!
    I had a pretty good mom too! Dad worked alot and I wasn't old enough to hunt alone, so mom took me hunting! The first thing I shoot was a red squirrel! I can still hear her saying "don't shoot it's just a baby". After that I was allowed to hunt by myself but I was only allowed to carry 3 shells. I grew up in the woods, we had woods in front of our house across the street and woods behinds us. Now it's Country Timbers gulf course across the street.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jody,I will never forget mine either, My dad wasnt into trapping ,But I had read of Jim Bridger and I had a Herters Hudsons bay Catalog,So one day I ordered myself 4 hudsons bay #4 coil spring traps,read all about setting in a slide ,when they came in ,I hauled down to the lake set two in two different beaver slides and walked back home the 3/4 mile or so. Next afternoon right after school,I was off the bus and running. Went to my sets and found not one ,but two verry pissed beavers of about 45 lbs each. I mangled the skinning ,But Was I ever Hooked!!

7. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    My first beaver me and my brother was walking on the ice over beaver pond looking for a good place to set a 330 conibear. My big brother fell threw, I was laughing so hard I couldn't help him! I did stop laughing when I noticed the gun in his hands and save it from get wet or lost in the pond. He tried climbing out but the ice broke were he tried pulling him self up, all of a sudden he just jumped out. I don,t know how he did it and neither did he. Anways we put a big stick across the hole he made and hung the trap. We figurued they were traveling through there and made the ice thin or maybe they would just come to an open hole. But the next day we got a kit about 20 pounds, I still got the hide!