My first canned peppers

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Flamekeeper, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well This was a first for me, I posted my deck garden on the general conversation forum a couple days ago, didn't even see this until now LOL... after 3-4 yrs:embarassed:.

Got the recipe from Bill Dewalt to pickle these banana peppers.

To each jar I added
    7-8 banana peppers,
    4-5 cloves garlic and a few dill seeds.

extras I pitched in were,

2- 8" agus beef frank links cut in half,
    1-6" ring Kielbasa sausage,
    1- 4-5" whole cayenne pepper,

Man I can't wait:big_smile:They get ya hungry just looking at them:smile2:

Thanks Bill, I stil have 9 quart jars left,LOL. I'll have them full before to long the way that plant is growing:big_smile:..Kenny

Attached Files:

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    those babys are lookin deeelux :big_smile::cool2:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those look good,,, I wonder how much heat will carry over in that sausage,,,, I canned pickled eggs a few years ago with tons of jalapeno peppers in them,,,,, they hid the heat,,,you would never know those eggs or peppers were hot,,, till the next day,,,lol,,,lol,, boy they will light your butt up,,, but don't taste like they will.

4. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those do look good!! I picked a bushel of Hung med hot out of my garden last night canning them tonight with some habanero's and jalapeno's. I might try the sausage idea never seen that before.

Thanks for posting the pic.

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    lmao:smile2::big_smile::cool2:

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Looks good! I hadn't ever heard of putting sausage in them, either. But we're going to have to do something. I've got 6 banana pepper plants, we've had about a week of rain....soooooo.......I'm about to have LOTS of peppers!:wink:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Just got done with a few more peppers, This time I added a few more cayenne peppers 4-5, small 3/4-1" onions, garlic, califlower, babycarrots, bannana peppers stuffed with angus beef franks, and some more kielbasa sausage:wink:

How long do you have to wait before you start chewing on these?:smile2:

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good job, those look delicious. Makeing my mouth water.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Nice peppers brother.. go on and get more popularity by sellin veggies LOL.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

:eek:oooh::confused2:What makes you think I'm trying to gain popularity by telling someone about peppers? Did you read anywhere that they were for sale? These are for eating.

Young man I think you need to check yourself before you write a response to someones post or thread, because your child like attitude shines BRITE.

IMHO

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    [

How long do you have to wait before you start chewing on these?:smile2:[/QUOTE]

I would have started yesterday:smile2::wink::smile2:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kenny,Those look Almost too good to eat,But I bet I could get over that quickly.:wink:

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Richard,:smile2:I'm thinking the same thing.:wink:

Man Bro! I was canning them yesterday and dropped a jar into the boiling pot and the water splashed up and out at me, and I jumped/jerked my rear back wards while spreading my legs to keep from getting burned by all the water and felt pain on my lower stomach, jerking my Teeshirt up real fast just to see the skin peel away like a 1 1/2"x 4" piece of tape:eek:oooh::angry: man that was hot. didn't feel a thing until 5-10 min later:eek:oooh: Burn baby Burn OUCH!!:embarassed:

If I wasn't paying attention and fast reflexes by leaping back wards out of the way, It would have been real bad!(If you Know what I Mean!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::embarassed:) I was lucky Bro Big Time!...Never again will I mess with the jars..

I want to thank Bill Dewalt(gardengrz) again for getting me into this, It reminds me of my childhood in gramas kitchen on the farm. Plus I be canning and pickleing alot more in the years to come. And most of all EATING GOOD!

How long do you let them soak, to get the flavor all the way through before you eat them?

Originally Posted by CatManAJ
    Nice peppers brother.. go on and get more popularity by sellin veggies LOL.

What makes you think I'm trying to gain popularity by telling someone about peppers? Did you read anywhere that they were for sale? These are for eating.

Young man I think you need to check yourself before you write a response to someones post or thread, because your child like attitude shines BRITE.
    ...................................................................................

By reading my response to your's . I must say I need to practice what I preach, And I may have taken it out of content after being burned by the scalding water, because I wasn't thinking to straight at the time, and I thought you were getting out of line, then again you may have been just joking, but either way I want to aplogise for my remark.. I'm Sorry.

sincerly Kenneth Price.

PS,, You want to buy some?:tounge_out::big_smile:

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Kenny you need one of those water proof aprons like we use when scalding chickens.

You have got me thinking about canning. I think I have almost every thing I need. Luke Clayton sent me a guys name that has the stuff to can meat. I am going to have to try it

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the memory of my granmas kitchen that i love best is the last 2 weeks in september were th smell of a big pot of chili sauce simmering down with all th spices and stuff in it. i waited all year for that:smile2: in fact i have her recipee in her handwriting framed and hanging above my stove.:big_smile::cool2:

16. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Kenny; You rascal! Makin me hungry! I'm going to my Dads and get some Okra to can, gives me an idea with the sausage / okra / peppers, can together then later cook up with a rue and rice for Gumbo!!!:big_smile:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good man for your apology, Kenny. Reps to ya. I did not read anything snotty on the kid's post. I think that was just a figure of speech he used, meaning no harm.

A tip I can give. If you ever get burned, IMMEDIATELY pour VANILLA extract/flavoring on it. Often times, even with rough burns, it won't even blister. My wife taught me that one, from one of her natural healing books or somewhere.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  18. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Those look good! I put so much work into my canned peppers that they would never be for sale. I might give some to a friend or family (in fact I intend to) but never for sale. I have never even seen peppers like that for sale, too much of a hobby and too much effort to make the money back. Reps to you for posting this great idea, using sausage in the jars, maybe next year I will try it with some of my jars.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kenny,I just made 10 half pints of dill pickles,I'll make pickled okra,peppers of three varieties as well as salsa and garden mix by summers end. My wifes friend told me ,WOW YOU CAN!! ,Then told my wife ,you better hang onto him :smile2:

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow those look really good!!