Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

My first buffalo!

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  GMC FishHauler 
#1 ·
Yeah, just got my first buffalo....23" long, 16.5" around. I believe it is a black buffalo. Snagged his nose, luckily.

I had a giant 12/0 treble hook when I got there, I cast it out at a buff, snag him, he takes it down to the bottom and in 2 seconds I am snagged up on the bottom. I was pretty mad about losing my giant treble on the first cast. But I had brought my Whammy-Tail spinner (rooster tail imitation) with me.

The day before I had snagged 2 really big buffs with the whammy tail, only to have both of them come unbuttoned when they hit the submerged tree limbs.

When I hooked this fish, I had to spend a minute or two getting him out of the limbs. I had to give him slack, then tension, then slack, until he swam out of the dangerous area and got my line free. Then I pulled him up on the bank, and got mud splashed all over me. But I couldn't care much, he was my first buff.

These stupid fish don't bite anything, so I am thinking of throwing half a can of creamed corn in the same spot for a whole week, then coming down there with a hook, line & sinker to have them waiting for more corn, on a hook.

And one more thing, I brought my buff home (partly since I didn't bring a measuring tape and partly because I hear they are good eating). I expected it to be bony, and it was very bony. I ended up with 2 very small filets (or maybe I should call them strips) and there are still bones. I need a good de-boning method for buffs, if there are any at all. I'm gonna cook the strips today at the latest since I caught him yesterday. Or do these things make good cut bait?

Thanks for readin my post

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
one of the mods changed the title of my thread to say I caught a "buffalo carp"

well, it ain't a "buffalo carp" it's just a "buffalo"

you wouldn't call a carp a "carp minnow" would you?

just thought I might point it out. no offense

#5 ·
there all in the same family, suckers, arent they? theyr all a kind of carp to me. they look similar and get big. i dont see a huge differance.
not a huge difference at all. but I think buffalo are suckers and carp are minnows. I might be wrong but that's what I remember reading. but who cares they all are fat fish with big lips:lol: and fun to catch

#10 ·
I'm not sure about thier bloodline. which ones are related to which. but i know you can eat suckers, and buffalo. i tried about every fish under the sun as a kid. and carp was one of them. i wont be doing that again...i seen a recipe in a field and stream book as a kid suggesting using a meat grinder on suckers, and patty them up. i caught a bunch one day and tried it. they're great. very flakey white meat. all the bones dissolve when you cook them after being ground. you can do the same with buffalo. grind it up and dont worry about the smaller bones. patty it up, and roll it in cracker meal or bread crumbs. then fry it up...

#11 ·
The fact is that the Grinding of these species will help to eliminate the Fatty taste that you will sometime get when frying. One of the Great morning meals as I grew up was Salmon Crouquets with grits and eggs. This was a meal that didn't happen often enough for me on Saturday or Sunday morning. The principle is the same and the patties when fried are Fantastic with Carp, Buff, Sucker or Bowfin! JMHO true enough, but it is Great eating!!!!!!

HOPPY4

#13 ·
Most people around me rib them out and then fry the ribs and eat the meat off the ribs.

Fillet the fish by cutting through the ribs instead of around. Then cut cut out the section of the fillet that has the rib bones in it and then cut that into pieces. It has only the large rib bones which can be picked out after cooking.

#15 ·
I'm not sure about thier bloodline. which ones are related to which. but i know you can eat suckers, and buffalo. i tried about every fish under the sun as a kid. and carp was one of them. i wont be doing that again...i seen a recipe in a field and stream book as a kid suggesting using a meat grinder on suckers, and patty them up. i caught a bunch one day and tried it. they're great. very flakey white meat. all the bones dissolve when you cook them after being ground. you can do the same with buffalo. grind it up and dont worry about the smaller bones. patty it up, and roll it in cracker meal or bread crumbs. then fry it up...
Thanks! I needed that. I decided the day after I got the buff NOT to eat the two micro-sized fillets, since I didn't want to deal with the bones. Only problem now is that we don't have a meat grinder :tounge_out: oh well I hope we get one soon:confused2:

#16 ·
well i was wondering, did you find out if buffalo make good cut bait? i make cut bait out of carp, but sometimes catch buffalo in the castnet running with the big shad.

#17 ·
Most people around me rib them out and then fry the ribs and eat the meat off the ribs.

Fillet the fish by cutting through the ribs instead of around. Then cut cut out the section of the fillet that has the rib bones in it and then cut that into pieces. It has only the large rib bones which can be picked out after cooking.
another good thing to do is to cut out all the bloody red meat. This meat taste like algea and mud. But it is good for cut bait, check that it is EXCELLENT for cut bait, along with all the bony meat.
If u noticed when u cleaned it all the fat in the meat, that seems to make a natrual oil slick in the water and big cats like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.