My first Bowfin

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Stoo, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Caught my first Bowfin today. I got it with a crankbait off a jetty in the Lake Dardanelle pool of the Arkansas river. It was 3.9# and tore up my fatfree guppie. I had to cut off the rear treble. I thought I had a huge bass when he hit. Just before I caught him I caught the largest Drum i've caught. The way he stripped off line from my reel I thought he was a striper. They were both fun to catch tho.

Attached Files:

2. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on your first bowfin man

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ain;t they something when it comes to fighting? Gods gift to a sportsman.peewee-williams

4. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's hard to beat the fight of a bowfin.Did you let him go I hate it when peaple kill them.

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on the catch.thanks for posting picture.

6. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    fun to catch, but destroy good lures.good luck and good fishing.:cool2:

7. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I released the fish but had to cut off rear treble hook because he engulfed the lure. I didn't think I could remove it. we had to pry its mouth open to get the lure out. I also released the drum.

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    congrats man!!!nice fish

9. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    We used to catch those things all the time at Lake Pickthorne in Jacksonville. They are some hard fighting fish.

10. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    CONGRATS on bowfin what is it...lol never herd of them before

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One of the real fighting fish of the freshwater world. Toothy things, will destroy line and reels, most of my hookups wind up with the bowfin abrading the line with its "teeth" and getting off, but not without a good time. Actually prefer them to break off if using bait, rather lose a hook than tangle with their mouth. But, the do destroy lures. Here's a link to find out more:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bowfin/

12. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Just wait till you catch a big Grinnel as we call them. They are tackle testers for sure. Fun to catch ,but make poor table fare. Keep on catching , it's all good !:big_smile:

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Rachel, what don't you get?

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here in south Georgia we call them mudfish and they are in just about all of the rivers here. They are a lot of fun to catch and will bite even in the middle of the hottest day in summer. Just remember to watch those teeth !! Anything flashy like a Mepps spinner , live shiners or a fire tail plastic worm work great and they will tear up some tackle and break up some high dollar rods !!!

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    That my friend is a Dang fine catch. And you will hopefully catch many more:big_smile:

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats on your first Bowfin, We've got 'em all over down here, They constantly fill up my juglines. It is a good idea to remove them from the water as they are not a "native" fish.

I give them away to the poor people here but advise them not to eat to much/many of them as they are high on the mercury content level:roll_eyes:

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Elliot I dont know of any water that they arent or were not a native species

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, Bowfin are sure fun to catch! Not sure if they are any good to eat..:crazy:

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Well, I'm not speaking from scientific Knowledge but I've been fishing all my life & never caught any until recently. There are other fish here that are definately non-native, I.E. Oscars & Nile Perch(Tilapia) & are not considered to be a game fish.

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    :big_smile: Hey Elliot I got my numbers wrong in that Pm they have been around for about 150,000,000 years.Dinosuors they watched them come and go. Sabre tooth tigers them to and bass 12,000,000 years rookies. And they will probably watch us fall by the wayside as well. Got to love them for stickin it out:big_smile: