My first boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rgardn12, May 14, 2009.

1. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I bought a 12' 1971 Applyby Al. V-hull for $100 about a week ago, no trailer or motor (hoping to fix that soon)... Currently sanding the hull and reprimering with White Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer and then repainting a nice Red color.

Right now I have some plans to build some decks on the boat to aid in my fishing and hoping to get it looking more like the picture below, with a possible subtraction of the high front pedestal seat. the problem is my middle bench is too far back to have a decent middle low deck... I know completely removing it would be far to unsafe, however if I were to shift it forward maybe a foot or two would the weight transfer make that much a difference in the handling/safety of the boat?

bbb.jpg

Will get current pictures of mine up ASAP.

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Cameron, congrats on your first boat.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats on your boat and welcome to the BOC from Texas!

4. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks much guys... here are some pictures of it right now, I have been working on scrapping and sanding away the old paint and reprimering/painting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cameron Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. One half of the fun is getting the boat customized the way you want it. Enjoy.:0a25::0a25::0a22:

6. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    You should end up with a good cat boat there is lots of good ideas on these pages, and lots of good advice. Also there is a website, I think its tinboats where people talk about what they are doing with their aluminum boats.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Cam, I know the line you are thinking. I've read up on raised decks all over the net. It's supposedly an ok idea if your boat is big and a bad idea if small. A low floor is supposed to be much more suitable to a small craft. And it doesn't need to be 3/4" plywood.

8. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cameron, Congratulations and welcome to the BOC. I know you will enjoy the resources and people here.

9. rgardn12

rgardn12 New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    yea I am currently researching about how building on will change the center of gravity height...